IGNORED

Goal Keeper's

PAPA650

:englandsmile4wf: iv been reading alot of reports of signing a new keeper. which i agree is needed but it seems alot of people don't like Basso's style !!!! i personally think he's a great keeper granted his goal kicking needs to better but he's got that little extra in his keeping hence i love him what do you think ??? but in the same breath i think phillips was treated badlly he served the club very well and was far from being a bad keeper pity he appears 2 have had argument with gary johnson then gk problem would'nt be on the tbl if that was the case !!! :englandsmile4wf:

Guest I bleed red 'n' white

i don't think people have a right to critiscise basso.

he's played thirty games conceded thirty goals, a ratio of just one goal a game. when phillips was getting loads of praise, mainly in 03/04 he conceded 37 goals in 46 games. these ratios aren't that different.

he's played thirty games conceded thirty goals, a ratio of just one goal a game. when phillips was getting loads of praise, mainly in 03/04 he conceded 37 goals in 46 games. these ratios aren't that different.

Goals conceded is indicative of more than just the keeper. Having a settled and consistent back four in front of him hid some of his deficiencies in my view. Basso comes for more crosses than Phillips, but he drops more of them too and he kicks worse than Phillips did even at the start of his career. I'd be happy with him as backup, I'm less comfortable with him being first choice.

Phillips is clearly a goner anyway and with his attitude it's not surprising. Weale seems like a decent keeper it's just a pity he's crocked until Xmas, that's an injury that 15 years ago was often career ending so we shouldn't underestimate the risk. I've always been a fan of Hartlepool's Konstantopoulos, the giant Greek.

So next seaon based on last he could let in a total of 46 goals. That means for us to get promotion we would have to score over 80 goals because of Basso. We havn't scored 80 goals in a season for a long time.

So next seaon based on last he could let in a total of 46 goals. That means for us to get promotion we would have to score over 80 goals because of Basso. We havn't scored 80 goals in a season for a long time.

not at all.

when phillips let in 37 we only scored 56 but were one point from automatic promotion.

Basso is a bit of a liability. The defence saved him as did him being lucky a lot.

how many games did you go to last season?

he kept us in loads of games and especially away to yeovil, then phillips came on the defence lost confidence in him and we got really shakey

:englandsmile4wf: iv been reading alot of reports of signing a new keeper. which i agree is needed but it seems alot of people don't like Basso's style !!!! i personally think he's a great keeper granted his goal kicking needs to better but he's got that little extra in his keeping hence i love him what do you think ??? but in the same breath i think phillips was treated badlly he served the club very well and was far from being a bad keeper pity he appears 2 have had argument with gary johnson then gk problem would'nt be on the tbl if that was the case !!! :englandsmile4wf:

I think you will find it is his attitude of the pitch what is the problem,GJ obviously has a problem there.

We scored over 100 in all competitions I think that was though, The season Crewe went up. But to be honest, Basso I do like him a lot, but we could have a better keeper, and I believe we do have a better `keeper already at the club, Phillips, who is obviously on his way now anyways.

basso is a brilliant keeper.always has a smile what

ever the score is.

I'm not sure what standards you are going by when you say he's 'brilliant'. He's clearly not the best I've seen at Ashton Gate.

Is this a dictatorship?? Ok, I promise not to mention his amateurish kicking!

I don't dislike Basso at all. He seems like a genuine guy who really tries. His acrobatics are good as is his bravery.

However, I also don't think he could hold his own at a higher level, and is barely talented enough for any side hoping for promotion. He's inconsistent, sometimes a liability and his kicking is the worst I've seen from any City keeper.

I think he'd be a very useful sub for Weale or whoever we sign.

especially away to yeovil, then phillips came on the defence lost confidence in him and we got really shakey

Did you go to a different Yeovil? Basso made a number of clangers, but made some good saves from the chances he created, added to which, Yeovils forwards were hardly lethal. After Phillips came on, he had very little to do, and what he had to do, he did OK.

I am not trying to knock Basso, he is an OK keeper at this level, good shot stopper, comes off his line a lot, not always judiciously, positioning can be questionable, kicking is OK. Brilliant? No way! I think we can get a Number 1 with a better all-round game who drops a lot less crosses. As a Number 2, Basso is fine.

Did you go to a different Yeovil? Basso made a number of clangers, but made some good saves from the chances he created, added to which, Yeovils forwards were hardly lethal. After Phillips came on, he had very little to do, and what he had to do, he did OK.

I am not trying to knock Basso, he is an OK keeper at this level, good shot stopper, comes off his line a lot, not always judiciously, positioning can be questionable, kicking is OK. Brilliant? No way! I think we can get a Number 1 with a better all-round game who drops a lot less crosses. As a Number 2, Basso is fine.

i went to yeovil. apparently you didn't. he made no mistakes and saved soo many chances.

when phillips came on he was as appalling as usual. he is a dreadful goalkeeper now and his attitude is crap.

Regarding the keepers, I don't think there is much to choose between Basso and Phillips - both got good points and bad.

Let's not forget though that Phillips was chosen two years running by his fellow pros as the best in the division.

Whatever it doesn't prove, I think it proves he is not rubbish.

More to the point, we seem to be losing a number of potentially good players ( even if only as backup )

due to the inability of GJ to cope with their attitude.

Just to name a few - Phillips, Stewart, Bridges, Partridge.

I have a slight concern that GJ has a degree of arrogance detrimental to maintaining the best squad - this feeling is reinforced by his stubborn attitude to playing Savage each week - an obvious joke as a striker.

In management of any organisation, a key skill is getting the best out of everyone and adapting to different attitudes and personalities.

Just dumping them regardless of their ability is an easy and usually counter productive option.

Regarding the keepers, I don't think there is much to choose between Basso and Phillips - both got good points and bad.

Let's not forget though that Phillips was chosen two years running by his fellow pros as the best in the division.

Whatever it doesn't prove, I think it proves he is not rubbish.

More to the point, we seem to be losing a number of potentially good players ( even if only as backup )

due to the inability of GJ to cope with their attitude.

Just to name a few - Phillips, Stewart, Bridges, Partridge.

I have a slight concern that GJ has a degree of arrogance detrimental to maintaining the best squad - this feeling is reinforced by his stubborn attitude to playing Savage each week - an obvious joke as a striker.

In management of any organisation, a key skill is getting the best out of everyone and adapting to different attitudes and personalities.

Just dumping them regardless of their ability is an easy and usually counter productive option.

I have always thought phillips was poor with his feet we have all seen him kick the ball to a forward(not ours)

chosen by his fellow pros because he had a great defence in front of him

i have heard flapper phillips many times a the gate

gj is the best manager since ad(he was the best)

he played savage and we won (whats the problem)

and forn your last point as a manager I spend my working day adapting to the different personalities I come up against GJ just shifts on those he cannot work with

i went to yeovil. apparently you didn't. he made no mistakes and saved soo many chances.

So dropping the ball no longer counts as a mistake? I agree that he made some great saves, but he had some pretty horrific flaps as well! Don't re-write history just to prove a point.

Maybe steves so called bad attitude may have been due to the fact that he knew a long time ago that he didnt have a future at city .The proof is in the managers comments this week in regards to weale being in his thoughts from day one ,it didnt matter how well steve trained or played for the reserves he was never going to get back in ,after all was basso really that much better ,or did it help that he played behind a good , settled back four . Steve is/ was not in the managers plans and is now in a position manafactured by the manager so he can leave ,with you fans thinking its all his own fault, because he has terrible attitude .Well maybe if you were frustrated , dissapointed ,and down right fed up you might show the same body language that he has ,but because he hasnt been turning cartwheels or dancing a jig some of you have hammered him ,Which brings me on to my next point .Some people on here have criticised steve every chance they get even when he hasnt played for months , some of this has been quite personal and unjustified , every player is open to stick based on performances, but not judge someone just because he didnt say hello at a cricket match,or because you don't like them ,or because you think they have the wrong attitude .And before some of you reply to this in a negative way ,i do realise steve has been lucky and being a footballer is everyones dream, but i wonder if its a dream to play for city when sometimes doing the job you love for the club you love ends with so much criticism .As you probably know i am close to steve and will always defend him , so it wont surprise me if this reply is greeted by abuse ,after all thats what some city players seem to get from some so called fans

Ossie - A very good post, and you make some excellent points. You also forgot to mention how close Steve was to breaking Mike Gibsons record which must also have been very disappointing for him. So no abuse from me!

On the Basso at Yeovil bit, I checked out a few reports, and Basso was 'Faultless', 'Made one bad punch' and was 'consistently shaky', so even the journalists can't agree on this one. I had bad flu and wore about 4 jumpers and 2 coats - That's my excuse!!!

Maybe steves so called bad attitude may have been due to the fact that he knew a long time ago that he didnt have a future at city .The proof is in the managers comments this week in regards to weale being in his thoughts from day one ,it didnt matter how well steve trained or played for the reserves he was never going to get back in ,after all was basso really that much better ,or did it help that he played behind a good , settled back four . Steve is/ was not in the managers plans and is now in a position manafactured by the manager so he can leave ,with you fans thinking its all his own fault, because he has terrible attitude .Well maybe if you were frustrated , dissapointed ,and down right fed up you might show the same body language that he has ,but because he hasnt been turning cartwheels or dancing a jig some of you have hammered him ,Which brings me on to my next point .Some people on here have criticised steve every chance they get even when he hasnt played for months , some of this has been quite personal and unjustified , every player is open to stick based on performances, but not judge someone just because he didnt say hello at a cricket match,or because you don't like them ,or because you think they have the wrong attitude .And before some of you reply to this in a negative way ,i do realise steve has been lucky and being a footballer is everyones dream, but i wonder if its a dream to play for city when sometimes doing the job you love for the club you love ends with so much criticism .As you probably know i am close to steve and will always defend him , so it wont surprise me if this reply is greeted by abuse ,after all thats what some city players seem to get from some so called fans

I have been supporting Bristol City for over 50 years, and do not wish to get into a technical debate over the merit of our keepers.

I do remember Basso helping Steve during the pre match warm up in the early days at City. When Steve lost his place and was no 2 he DID not attempt to help Basso during the warm up.

There was also the reserve game at Yeovil when Steve was substituted near the end of the game. He slated Garry before he left the field.

These may be actions of a very disappointed footballer, but they look like the actions of a baby who has lost his rattle. I am sure we have all worked in situations where we do not get on with work colleagues, but we have to make the best of it.

I think Steve has let him self down with his public image, and may be too stubborn to retrieve the situation.

There were good time Steve, but I think it may be time to move along.

I hope I am wrong but in the foulness of time, I suspect you may come to regret YOUR actions.

I have always thought phillips was poor with his feet we have all seen him kick the ball to a forward(not ours)

chosen by his fellow pros because he had a great defence in front of him

i have heard flapper phillips many times a the gate

gj is the best manager since ad(he was the best)

he played savage and we won (whats the problem)

and forn your last point as a manager I spend my working day adapting to the different personalities I come up against GJ just shifts on those he cannot work with

I think your last sentence just confirms my point really - shifting them on is not an option for most of us and is a cop out anyway if they have the potential to be useful squad members.

Archived