IGNORED

One From The Past

Roadrunner

Yesterday i called into a printer in Poole to collect some goods. When i went to pay for them with my City credit card. The man said Bristol City. i spent six years at Ashton Gate. I looked at him but could not remember his face. I asked for his name, it was John Macey, then i remembered him. He was youth goalkepper during the late 60s. I dont think he played for the first team as we had Mike Gibson and they was no subs in those days. John is still involved in football as asssiant manager at Wimborne Town.We talk over all past players of that time, Jimmy Giles, Dickie Downs, Adrain Williams and many more.

On the website I looked on I found they were all apprentices - John Giles, Adrian Williams and David (Dickie) Down. Down played as our centre forward as the replacement to John Atyeo so the season must have been 1966-67. All three left after 3 years - two to Exeter and one, Down, to Bradford Park Avenue. I couldn't find John Macey though that doesn't mean the erpson you met was a mirage - probably the website was wrong or he didn't sign as a full appentice or something

City ad 4 good keepers in reserve to the great Mike Gibson

in the 60s.....John Macey, Barrie Watling, Mike Hooper and

Mike Mahoney! ole good keepers but none of um could oust

the great Gibbo! Hooper and Mahoney went on to play for

Newcastle, Hooper also kept goal for Liverpool. Watling kept

goal for many years for Notts County, and Macey who we

always rated went on to Newport! :cool:

Archived