IGNORED

Burnell Back In The Frame ?

headhunter

I have been worried about the amount of press space allocated to Joe Burnell this week along the lines that he is back after injury and his cameo appearance last Saturday could herald a return to first team action.

He would appear to have gone from hero to zero in the eyes of DW and is it not a coincidence that City's rich vein of form has happened whilst he has been nowhere near the 1st team squad.

I was unaware that a back injury had kept him out for all this time or is that 'spin' yo justify his absence.

One can't fault his effort and commitment but quite honestly in my opinion he just could not cut it if we went up - do you agree or am i being harsh ??

Hmmmm I like Joe and think he should be included on the bench (unless Fortune can truly take up t Defensive midfielder).

If it is true he's been hurt this whole time and now DW is putting him straight back into the starting line-up I'd have to say DW should be on the first bus out of here. He should never be starting if 4 of the following are availible Wilkshire,Docs, tinman, Aaron, goodfellow, roberts, and maybe marvin and fortune. If enough of them are hurt or suspended or being rested maybe joe should get a start,

Joe is a important utility player ..i would rather see him play some part in defence rather than midfield but just like ledley king at spurs not his fault if hes played in a position where he can sometimes be out of his depth i can see Joe challenging for a defensive spot and generally being a very useful substitute even in division 1

Joe's a good player - city through and through.

Been injured then couldn't get on the bench let alone first 11 -that's the strength of our squad.

Think he should be on the bench as he is important cover for a number of positions. But shouldn't in in first 11 as who would you leave out??

Give him a break!!

To look at Joe's effect playing for and not playing for the team in midfield, I give you the home match Vs Grimsby this season. With Joe in a defensive looking midfield there was no creativity, no passing forward to the attackers, no flair, no quick breaks out of defence (a City trademark especially in the 11 match win run).

The result was 0-0 at half time and a boring spectacle. Joe was replaced and suddenly the team was all over Grimsby, pinning them in their own half FROM MIDFIELD. It was sheer effort that we eventually scored in injury time to win 1-0.

I don't care about the Joe burnell supporters harping about effort and committment and all that blah blah blah..... I can quite categorically say that if Joe Burnell had been playing in midfield these last 11 games City would certainly NOT have won them all. With him in midfield the attacks slow down, the ball goes BACKWARDS, there is no creativity.

Putting him in midfield would be a disaster and would put the brakes on City's charge to promotion. And if DW did do this and we missed out, I think DW ought to go. DW was getting it wrong earlier on this season but thankfully he saw th elight. It would be a terrible shame if he went back to his early mistakes.

Guest pukka_tukka
I used to back Joe but can you really see a place for him in the starting mid-field up against the likes of Docs, Tins and Lukey?! Nah, he's got to be a last resort....

Sorry Joe, you just dont have that extra something the other three do.

personally i agree with lucy, I'm not a fan of burnell and to be honest i think hes one of the reasons for this run we're on...!! its not just a co-incidence...

wilkshire, doherty, tinnion are all alot better than burnell...and maybe even fortune as-well.

burnell came on against swansea, and it made me bite my nails at that, what was the first thing he did? came on and gave away a stupid free-kick and put us under pressure straight away, and he was only on for abour 3 minutes!!

i just dont think hes good enough for our standard, yeh he has the work-rate but dosent play well enough.

sorry but burnell can't be put back into this team, if he was it would just be a stupid management error, which i hope DW isn't stupid enough to commit..sorry but he just isnt good enough!

thats my opinion, i accept others but personally i dont know how anyone could have him in their first 11... :cool:

Joe Burnell isnt a bad player and I thought his performances before he was dropped (sorry, injured) we're some of his best.

He's got to be behind Doherty, Tinman and Wilkshire in the pecking order right now and I'm sure Danny recognises that. He's not stupid.

But, if we do have injuries then he'd be a very good player to have in reserve.

The problem isnt that Joe Burnell isnt good enough, its what do you do with him in the team. David Batty was a very defensive player, but I think most people would agree he had his uses.

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus
I suspect people are reading too much into this.

I can't recall any of the press coverage saying Burnell was going to start on Saturday.  I suspect that the best Burnell can hope for on Saturday is a place on the bench.

Total agree the Evil Post has got to fill their trash with something otherwise they would just print 40 pages about the'Super tram'

I'm looking at it this way. When we go up I want players who will be able to play 1st division football. I'm not sure if Joe Burnell can.

We (well Danny) has made mistakes and experimented with the formation earlier in the season, now that he has got a proven team it should be left alone. The only changes would be to rest Tins or forced through injuries.

Archived