IGNORED

Hcpt The Pilgrimage Trust

The Fat Controller

As you can imagine, i hate to do this, but this is simply a thread to ask for money, all for a good cause as listed below. The idea being; if you don't ask, you don't get.

"History of HCPT HCPT - The Pilgrimage Trust was formed in 1956 after a young doctor, Michael Strode, first took four children with disabilities on a Pilgrimage holiday to Lourdes and at the same time revolutionised the way children with disabilities could experience a trip to this famous international shrine in the foothills of the French Pyrenees. Not content with letting the children stay in the usual hospitals and hospices, Dr. Michael wanted them to stay in hotels as honoured guests and to get as much out of their holiday as other children - trips to cafes, a donkey ride in the mountains and the warmth and affection of a holiday amongst caring friends.

Now, HCPT takes to Lourdes almost 2000 children from the UK, Ireland and increasingly from other countries. The children have a wide range of physical and mental disabilities, or are physically and emotionally deprived or neglected.

Cared for by voluntary helpers, including doctors, nurses and chaplains, most of whom pay for themselves, the total size of the Easter Pilgrimage is now about 5000; the largest pilgrimage from the UK and Ireland and probably the largest children's pilgrimage from any country.

The holiday pilgrimage is naturally centred around the international shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes and gives children, aged 7-18, with many types of disability or special needs, the opportunity to experience a really stimulating and highly enjoyable group holiday with the reassurance of 'one-to-one' help the whole time.

From HCPT grew the Hosanna House Trust, which was the response to a request from young adults for an opportunity to experience a similar holiday to that of the children. Today, Hosanna House, the Trust's residential centre just outside Lourdes in Bartres, takes nearly 2,000 pilgrims in groups of 40 to 50 , many of whom have disabilities or special needs. These guests stay for a week between Easter and November.

The HCPT and Hosanna House Group method is increasingly viewed as the way forward and, using the HCPT organisation as a model, the Lourdes authorities are currently re-organising their facilities for all pilgrims" - taken from HCPT The Pilgrimage Trust, (see for more information).

The cost of taking one child to Lourdes for the week is £520 approximately. Many of you probably think there are better ways to spend this money, but after visiting Lourdes with the trust four times, i can assure you that the week gives the children (and volunteers alike) an experience that will be remembered and enjoyed for the rest of their lives. Volunteers fund themselves, and fundraise the cost of taking the children for the week. Costs also need to be taken into consideration, such as administration and group funds for activities whilst in Lourdes, and this all needs to be raised.

I am a member of Bristol based group 37. The Group is one of the largest with around 35-38 members in total each year, 14 of these children, the rest volunteers (including a chaplain and two nurses). The experience of going twice now as a volunteer, has led me to believe i should be doing more for these children, and will endevour to undertake fundraising projects ahead of next years Easter trip. For now, i simply ask that you donate what you can, be it £1, £5 or whatever. Every Little Helps.

to donate please visit HERE.

As a result of my travelling with the group, i have now decided against studying at university for the time being, and am seeking employment as a care worker for children or adults with special needs. I will be the fourth person to do so under the current group leader's tenure. The experience is wholly lifechanging for me as a volunteer, i cannot even begin to imagine or express, how much it means for the children.

Please no jokes etc, serious thread.

Any fundraising ideas would also be appreciated. Cheers for reading and thankyou in advance for any donations guys!

The above history comes from HCPT and is copyright of HCPT The Pilgrimage Trust, Oakfield Park, 32 Bilton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire CV22 7HQ. Registered Charity Number 281074. For more information please visit the above website, or for information about Lourdes, please click here

As you can imagine, i hate to do this, but this is simply a thread to ask for money, all for a good cause as listed below. The idea being; if you don't ask, you don't get.

"History of HCPT HCPT - The Pilgrimage Trust was formed in 1956 after a young doctor, Michael Strode, first took four children with disabilities on a Pilgrimage holiday to Lourdes and at the same time revolutionised the way children with disabilities could experience a trip to this famous international shrine in the foothills of the French Pyrenees. Not content with letting the children stay in the usual hospitals and hospices, Dr. Michael wanted them to stay in hotels as honoured guests and to get as much out of their holiday as other children - trips to cafes, a donkey ride in the mountains and the warmth and affection of a holiday amongst caring friends.

Now, HCPT takes to Lourdes almost 2000 children from the UK, Ireland and increasingly from other countries. The children have a wide range of physical and mental disabilities, or are physically and emotionally deprived or neglected.

Cared for by voluntary helpers, including doctors, nurses and chaplains, most of whom pay for themselves, the total size of the Easter Pilgrimage is now about 5000; the largest pilgrimage from the UK and Ireland and probably the largest children's pilgrimage from any country.

The holiday pilgrimage is naturally centred around the international shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes and gives children, aged 7-18, with many types of disability or special needs, the opportunity to experience a really stimulating and highly enjoyable group holiday with the reassurance of 'one-to-one' help the whole time.

From HCPT grew the Hosanna House Trust, which was the response to a request from young adults for an opportunity to experience a similar holiday to that of the children. Today, Hosanna House, the Trust's residential centre just outside Lourdes in Bartres, takes nearly 2,000 pilgrims in groups of 40 to 50 , many of whom have disabilities or special needs. These guests stay for a week between Easter and November.

The HCPT and Hosanna House Group method is increasingly viewed as the way forward and, using the HCPT organisation as a model, the Lourdes authorities are currently re-organising their facilities for all pilgrims" - taken from HCPT The Pilgrimage Trust, (see for more information).

The cost of taking one child to Lourdes for the week is £520 approximately. Many of you probably think there are better ways to spend this money, but after visiting Lourdes with the trust four times, i can assure you that the week gives the children (and volunteers alike) an experience that will be remembered and enjoyed for the rest of their lives. Volunteers fund themselves, and fundraise the cost of taking the children for the week. Costs also need to be taken into consideration, such as administration and group funds for activities whilst in Lourdes, and this all needs to be raised.

I am a member of Bristol based group 37. The Group is one of the largest with around 35-38 members in total each year, 14 of these children, the rest volunteers (including a chaplain and two nurses). The experience of going twice now as a volunteer, has led me to believe i should be doing more for these children, and will endevour to undertake fundraising projects ahead of next years Easter trip. For now, i simply ask that you donate what you can, be it £1, £5 or whatever. Every Little Helps.

to donate please visit HERE.

As a result of my travelling with the group, i have now decided against studying at university for the time being, and am seeking employment as a care worker for children or adults with special needs. I will be the fourth person to do so under the current group leader's tenure. The experience is wholly lifechanging for me as a volunteer, i cannot even begin to imagine or express, how much it means for the children.

Please no jokes etc, serious thread.

Any fundraising ideas would also be appreciated. Cheers for reading and thankyou in advance for any donations guys!

The above history comes from HCPT and is copyright of HCPT The Pilgrimage Trust, Oakfield Park, 32 Bilton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire CV22 7HQ. Registered Charity Number 281074. For more information please visit the above website, or for information about Lourdes, please click here

I applaud you for the work you're doing, have been to Lourdes three times with groups and se how much benefit the children and young people get from the pilgrimage.

Anyone curious about this PLEASE donate, HCPT is a fantastic organisation.

Nice one.

As a carer of a disabled child myself I know what bloody hard work it is, but very rewarding at the same time, so good on you for being inspired and choosing to take your life in such a positive direction. :)

Cheers Dolls!

Any advice on the subject you can offer would be appreciated via PM - i have very little experience other than with HCPT.

Other than that..... PLEASE PLEASE GET YOUR WALLETS OUT!

Archived