IGNORED

Chris Weale Signs 1 Year Deal

Redmin

I'd imagine there'd be an extra year if he starts a certain amount of games etc. Also GJ seems to be good at convincing players to stay and if Weale's already to prepared to sign for GJ again i don't think there'd be a problem with a new deal when/if he gets fit.

I can't imagine we'd be stupid enough to get a guy fit then let him go for nothing if he does a great job.

Oh wait...

Just watched the interview with him on World, as well as the GJ one.

Some interesting bits.

GJ said "he'll push Basso all the way" - no mention of Phillips (as if we needed telling!) GJ also mentioned that he convinced SL that in Weale he'd have a keeper for the long term so that immediate injury wasn't a big problem. I guess that means he's either got a clause or is extremely confident that extending that one year won't be a problem.

Chris Weale said he works hard on every aspect of his game, seemed very ambitious, and said that he liked to command his box and work hard on his kicking. Those coincide exactly with Phillips' major weaknesses, coached for the interview question or is that just why we want him? Bit of both I suspect.

The injury is an anterior cruciate ligament rupture for which he's had a reconstruction. Same as Owen is flying to the US for and Heinze just returned from. Takes 6-9 months post-op these days to get back into training and he's looking at November. This is the injury that used to be career ending and took a few yards of pace out of Alan Shearer in his prime. However for a keeper that should be less of an issue provided his ability to jump recovers. There seems to be little doubt he'll recover fully.

Overall Weale came across very well. He seemed intelligent, professional and ambitious. Clearly thought a great deal of GL, described his winning mentality as addictive and managed to talk up what a good move it was for him without being condescending towards Yeovil. I can see why GJ wants him, he really does fit the mould on that showing.

Just watched the interview with him on World, as well as the GJ one.

Some interesting bits.

GJ said "he'll push Basso all the way" - no mention of Phillips (as if we needed telling!) GJ also mentioned that he convinced SL that in Weale he'd have a keeper for the long term so that immediate injury wasn't a big problem. I guess that means he's either got a clause or is extremely confident that extending that one year won't be a problem.

Chris Weale said he works hard on every aspect of his game, seemed very ambitious, and said that he liked to command his box and work hard on his kicking. Those coincide exactly with Phillips' major weaknesses, coached for the interview question or is that just why we want him? Bit of both I suspect.

The injury is an anterior cruciate ligament rupture for which he's had a reconstruction. Same as Owen is flying to the US for and Heinze just returned from. Takes 6-9 months post-op these days to get back into training and he's looking at November. This is the injury that used to be career ending and took a few yards of pace out of Alan Shearer in his prime. However for a keeper that should be less of an issue provided his ability to jump recovers. There seems to be little doubt he'll recover fully.

Overall Weale came across very well. He seemed intelligent, professional and ambitious. Clearly thought a great deal of GL, described his winning mentality as addictive and managed to talk up what a good move it was for him without being condescending towards Yeovil. I can see why GJ wants him, he really does fit the mould on that showing.

Good write up.

Personally I'm happy that he has seemed to avoid all of the normal things signings say when they join us.

"big club, and city"

"too good an offer to turn down"

"want to be playing in the champ"

"good set of lads"

I'm sure there is probably a press conference translator for all those things that turns things like good set of lads into can't wait to hit the toon with the boys.

You've got yourself a good keeper there. He grew up on the Yeovil terraces watching us and was even a ballboy for a big cup game once....

He was destined for West Ham two years back. He was having a trial with them when he broke a finger in training and he was never invited back.

If there's one criticism of him, its that he is quiet for a keeper. He has quite a quiet voice and doesn't bawl at his defence. When fit, he will do more than challenge Basso for the first team jersey.

And one final piece of trivia? He has an identical twin brother who just missed out on a place in the GB team for the 2004 Athens Olympics at pentathlon(?).

Good luck Chris....

Chris Weale said he works hard on every aspect of his game, seemed very ambitious, and said that he liked to command his box and work hard on his kicking.

Well, he is hardly likely to say that he is a lazy bum who is happy just knocking around the Lower Leagues! Also, all keepers 'like to command the box', not all manage it! I know that I am just being cynical, and if he recovers fully, he will be a good asset.

Very disappointed at the sly digs towards SP. He was much maligned by Clueless, but was determined to improve his game, and once he got the chance to be Number 1, he made it his own, and you don't do that without hard work.

Guest jl_city_fan

I agree he is a good signing i have been away for a while whats the latest about Phillips, dorry if this has already been discussed

looks like i have lost the power to spell

Well, he is hardly likely to say that he is a lazy bum who is happy just knocking around the Lower Leagues! Also, all keepers 'like to command the box', not all manage it! I know that I am just being cynical, and if he recovers fully, he will be a good asset.

Very disappointed at the sly digs towards SP. He was much maligned by Clueless, but was determined to improve his game, and once he got the chance to be Number 1, he made it his own, and you don't do that without hard work.

Well, no - but he could have said his strengths were his agility, reflexes, any number of things. He mentioned the exact things many (including me) have criticised Phillips for as strengths of his.

I don't think anyone he or GJ said was a dig at SP really, more that GJ was making it clear how good he thought Weale was, and not leaving anyone in any doubt that SP has no future here.

I agree he is a good signing i have been away for a while whats the latest about Phillips, dorry if this has already been discussed

looks like i have lost the power to spell

GJ has basically decided he doesn't want Phillips. Whether he reached that decision on day one or after Phillips had a tantrum is anyone's guess.

Phillips is therefore looking for a club but I think MK Dons getting relegated scuppered that. I imagine Swindon is an option after Peacock said something about him in the press. He can always stay here for the last year of his contract and pick up his wages in the reserves, but I doubt he will do that.

It was interesting to hear GJ say about Weale not only progressing with us but after us too.

1) He thinks Weale could be a top class and top flight keeper.

2) He doesn't think we as a club will go much farther than the championship.

I'm probably reading too much into a little statement but it's a very interesting one.

Well, no - but he could have said his strengths were his agility, reflexes, any number of things. He mentioned the exact things many (including me) have criticised Phillips for as strengths of his.

Does that mean SP's strengths are his weaknesses? :whistle: Actually, very good point, I had not looked at it that way.

Archived