IGNORED

People On The Pitch At Ashton Gate

southvillekiddy

Dear Mr Lansdowne,

last night there were 22,000 people at Ashton Gate, lots of them on the pitch, lots of them drinking, standing up, singing, shouting, clapping , applauding.

There wasn't any trouble.

When will you give the people who come every week the freedom to support in the way that they prefer?

I'm not sure about 'no trouble'.

The difference was last night you could get away with throwing bottles and plastic cups at security guards / stewards, sitting on the steps, blocking the footway in front of the Dolman and try and charge from the cheap seats into the golden circle!

Difference was most of these people were taken aside and then allowed back into the ground.

At City games they chuck people out and ban them for considerably less, what a joke.

Just to add that I really did have a great time and I am grateful to all those at Bristol City who set up and managed this great event.

What struck me however most strongly was that a football stadium is just that, a stadium for the entertainment of people.

I believe that the stadium can be equally well managed for a football game, where the fans are able to give their form of support and applause for the spectacle of football.

I do not think it would be too difficult to divide the stadium into areas where people who want to, can sit exclusively, or stand exclusively, or clap politely, or sing and shout.

Ashton Gate is the place where I have watched my team for many years. It is very illuminating to see how one-off "visitors" can use my stadium so imaginatively for the enjoyment of 20,000+ people.

So Football fans are discriminated against and treated like crap because of reputation from the past.

So Football has become a passive form of entertainment primarilly geared towards making money.

I can't see the money men shifting their position towards that of the disgruntled traditionalist without a fans' revolt and I can't see a fans' revolt, especially now many leading potential revolters are probably priced out of it or have boycotted it in disgust.

So we're stuck in a 'like it or lump it' situation, there are a large proportion it seems who like it, there are a smaller proportion who are lumping it and there are a small proportion who have buggered off completely.

Hey effing ho.

What we going to do? Nowt I suspect.

nothing to do with reputation from the past - more likely behaviour in the present.

Or self interest, intolerance and the ever creeping paternalism of the nanny state.Behavour at the gate? There is virtually none anymore but still the club continue on their mission of turning BCFC into what they not the fans think a modern club should be.Sadly it does not include a sizeable chunk of Citys support who saw the club through the darkest days of 82 when this monied support the club so loves now did not even realise the club existed.I see you have supported City since 69 and must remember when City fans became involved and were part of a spectacle .Now we have a medioctre experience played out in front of a crowd that barely seem interested any more.

For all the games ills in the eighties i would swap Bristol City 82 for Lansdown fc.

I admit I was a culprit last Saturday I stood on the pitch!

:o You stood up at Ashton Gate!!!

Oh, I forget, Football wasn't the scene was it? silly me.

No camera's and BS talk of health hazards due to steepness in the Dolman was sent your way I assume???

:disapointed2se:

What's going on!?!

No camaras or anything? :dunno:

:o You stood up at Ashton Gate!!!

Oh, I forget, Football wasn't the scene was it? silly me.

No camera's and BS talk of health hazards due to steepness in the Dolman was sent your way I assume???

:disapointed2se:

What's going on!?!

No camaras or anything? :dunno:

We did take photos but no one seemed that bothered about it! Stewards standing around not doing alot can you believe that ! :whistle:

Guest DrFaustus

I admit I was a culprit last Saturday I stood on the pitch! But I did water the pitch with some bottled water I purchased at the gate :D

A very good mate of mine 'watered' the pitch at the Who gig. Shame he'd not had a dodgy curry the night before!

Guest DrFaustus

Is that the best you can force out of your loathsome ............mind?

Yes, because I don't hate your mob. Sorry for having a joke and the stone I crawled out from under is keeping me warm again.

If we all paid £45 per game then they would probably let us

Oh and if the mindless minority could handle the booze and excitement

See PhatWill's post immediately above yours.

It seems the mindless minority couldn't handle the booze.

See PhatWill's post immediately above yours.

It seems the mindless minority couldn't handle the booze.

In fact if anyone tried to use this concert as an example for having standing areas on the grounds that

there is never any trouble, it would be best to keep stum on this occassion.

There seemd to be fights breaking out all over the place in the standing golden circle, but no trouble at all in the Dolman Stand, or at least not that I witnessed. That is except for the "Standing" crowd on the pitch running into the bottom of the Dolman to try and escape from the stewards, who inevitably caught up with them, then had a bit of fisticuffs, which, amusingly, both parties seemed to enjoy!

Archived