IGNORED

Stone Roses

Guest DrFaustus

Guest DrFaustus

Been having a retro night musically wise and listening to the very wonderful Roses. In no particular order these tracks take me back to the Madchester days. (I was there etc ;))

Mersey Paradise

Going Down

Bye bye badman

Elephant Stone

Sugar spun sister

Fools Gold

This is the one

Ten storey love song

I am the resurrection

Any other fans out there?

Been having a retro night musically wise and listening to the very wonderful Roses. In no particular order these tracks take me back to the Madchester days. (I was there etc ;))

Mersey Paradise

Going Down

Bye bye badman

Elephant Stone

Sugar spun sister

Fools Gold

This is the one

Ten storey love song

I am the resurrection

Sorry to steal your thread but did anyone listen to radio one tonight. They have just finsihed the "duets" mix tape and I would have to say it was awesome. They managed to link in Tenacious D with lemonjelly and well the playlist is below

Mixtape Side A

Sonny & Cher - 'I Got You Babe' (Atlantic)

White Stripes - 'Hotel Yorba' (XL)

Chemical Brothers - 'Galvanise' (Virgin)

Gnarls Barkley - 'Smiley Faces' (Warner)

The Black Keys - 'Have Love Will Travel' (Fat Possum Records)

McAlmont And Butler - 'Yes' (Hut)

OutKast - 'Hey Ya' (Arista)

Death From Above 1979 - 'Romantic Rights' (Soundvirus)

Eurythmics - 'Sweet Dreams' (Are Made Of These) (RCA)

Daft Punk - 'the Funk' (Virgin)

Queen And David Bowie - 'Under Pressure' (Parlophone)

Shy FX And T Power - 'Feelings' (Soundboy)

Tenacious D - 'Tribute' (Sony)

Mixtape Side B

Leftfield -'Afrika Shox' (Hard Hands)

Lemon Jelly - 'Nice Weather For Ducks' (XL)

Peter Doherty & Wolfman - 'For Lovers' (Rough Trade)

The KLF - 'What Time Is Love?' (TVT)

UNKLE feat Thom Yorke - 'Rabbit In Your Headlights' (Mo Wax)

Simon And Garfunkle - 'Mrs Robinson' (Sony)

Basement Jaxx -'Jump N Shout' (XL)

Eric B & Rakim - 'I Know You Got Soul' (Unique)

Two Gallants - 'Steady Rollin' (Saddle Creek)

Orbital - 'Satan' (Live) (London)

Carpenters - 'We've Only Just Begun' (Polydor)

Mersey Paradise

Going Down

Bye bye badman

Elephant Stone

Sugar spun sister

Fools Gold

This is the one

Ten storey love song

I am the resurrection

Plain and simple: their eponymous debut album was one of the greatest recordings of all time.

I do love 'Tears' on the Second Coming album though.

P.S. - The Charlatans! 'Just Lookin' and 'Just When You're Thinking Things Over' - I loves it!

Plain and simple: their eponymous debut album was one of the greatest recordings of all time.

I do love 'Tears' on the Second Coming album though.

P.S. - The Charlatans! 'Just Lookin' and 'Just When You're Thinking Things Over' - I loves it!

Couldnt agree more Mozo. The Stone Roses is one of the defining albums in British history. Without it, we would never have had, Oasis, Blur, The Libertines etc etc.

The second coming was also under-rated IMHO, because people thought it was going to be better than their debut, which is just nigh on impossible.

Was listening to The Happy Mondays, Pills thrills and bellyaches the other day, and that is still awesome.

Of the hundreds of pop concerts I've been to, the Stone Roses at the Bierkeller in the Summer of 89 was probably one of only two truly life-changing ones (the other being the Clash at the Colson Hall when I were a nipper in 1980).

In fact my vinyl copy of The Stone Roses sits at the front of my collection next to London Calling, my two most-played records.

The Second Coming was a disappointment but had some great moments. What's interesting is that the finest song on it, Ten Storey Love Song, sounds like it could have been lifted from the debut album and is one of the few that are not bathed in John Squire's Jimmy Page obsession.

The Stone Roses were What The World Was Waiting For, they could and should have achieved the success that Oasis later did. But they chucked it away and none of them (except maybe Mani) really seem to care.

Great to see Ian Brown performing some of the old stuff live though, those songs are too good to be consigned to history.

The Stone Roses were phenomenal and the first band I truly loved. Aside from the music, their finest moment was on the Late Show when the power cut out during their performance. The presenter fumbled their way through an apology with Ian Brown stood behind shouting "Amateurs! Amateurs!". Classic.

Another great band with a similar fate was The La's. Fantastic first record, then just disappeared with none of the band members seeming to care. Cast tried to recreate the sound and attitude but didn't even come close - they were too nice, I reckon, you've got to have a certain arrogance and swagger to pull off that kind of music.

ruffians the lot of them.

The Smiths, manchester's greatest band.

Bloody students!

I like the fact that Ian Brown managed to go off and create his own sound. His solo stuff's not only very different from the Roses, but is actually really good. The Seahorses, however, were pants...

I like the Roses very much, but I must confess I came to them rather late. I was listening to another Manc group back then called the Ruthless Rap Assassins.

I bet nobody remembers them.

Tell us more...

Guest DrFaustus

I like the Roses very much, but I must confess I came to them rather late. I was listening to another Manc group back then called the Ruthless Rap Assassins.

Who were quality, but sorry...no comparison to Mani's lot (and yes, I do think he was the boss) or indeed Gary Whelan's boys ;)

Tell us more...

Here you are:

Ruthless Rap Assassins

I found this site the other day and it brought a tear to my eye (recalling my old days when you could wear a cap without being a chav). You can even download soem old songs for free.

I'd recommend And it Wasn't a Dream and Justice (just us). Excellent tunes with good social commentary. It made my day to find I could download these tunes for free.

I wonder if Baz might be interested in this?

Here you are:

Ruthless Rap Assassins

I found this site the other day and it brought a tear to my eye (recalling my old days when you could wear a cap without being a chav). You can even download soem old songs for free.

I'd recommend And it Wasn't a Dream and Justice (just us). Excellent tunes with good social commentary. It made my day to find I could download these tunes for free.

I wonder if Baz might be interested in this?

I'll check it out bludclart. I'm sure MC Bazzle Dazzle will be interested.

I do remember them, they came out about 1988 ish if I remember rightly. I used to have an album of theirs on tape when I was at school!!

Sorry, I just noticed the link to the band!

I have heard of them but never heard any of their music, firstly this MC called Tonn Piper I recall told me he knew them... and also a mate at work has a tape but was going to lend it to me but she couldnt find it. She knew them too I think. They seem to be fairly local heros but never quite reached out. Wouldn't mind hearing some, but it's ny-on-impossible to find. Mancland has got some undeniably good rappers - anyone heard of Broke N English?

I have heard of them but never heard any of their music, firstly this MC called Tonn Piper I recall told me he knew them... and also a mate at work has a tape but was going to lend it to me but she couldnt find it. She knew them too I think. They seem to be fairly local heros but never quite reached out. Wouldn't mind hearing some, but it's ny-on-impossible to find. Mancland has got some undeniably good rappers - anyone heard of Broke N English?

Try:

http://www.gemm.com/c/search-for-search_no...20ASSASINS.html

or

www brarecords.com

Umm, thanks mate, not wanting to sound like I don't appreciate, but the first one's american vinyl, and the second one don't work :blush:

Nowt wrong with Vinyl, its the only way to listen to music.

http://www.brarecords.com/details.asp?id=22752

Try this and if it don't work then I don't care because I 've got France in our World cup sweep and because we have a prize for 4th place.............i'm in the money, i'm in the money !!

Nowt wrong with Vinyl, its the only way to listen to music.

http://www.brarecords.com/details.asp?id=22752

Try this and if it don't work then I don't care because I 've got France in our World cup sweep and because we have a prize for 4th place.............i'm in the money, i'm in the money !!

Vinyl isn't much good to someone that decided never to go down the vinyl route by buying £500 cd decks :) Crackle's all well and good but what do you do when you've left them too near the radiator?

I had Brazil so you're not allowed to talk about sweeps :crying: Free pish up wasted by those lazy bloody goofy... pfft

Vinyl isn't much good to someone that decided never to go down the vinyl route by buying £500 cd decks :) Crackle's all well and good but what do you do when you've left them too near the radiator?

I had Brazil so you're not allowed to talk about sweeps :crying: Free pish up wasted by those lazy bloody goofy... pfft

Mate of mine in Nailsea had his complete collection damaged by fire. Could'nt play anything they were so warped. We had a great time at Ashton Court using them as Frisbees.

You can but a turntable in Argos for £50 and keep the radiators turned off !!

Mate of mine in Nailsea had his complete collection damaged by fire. Could'nt play anything they were so warped. We had a great time at Ashton Court using them as Frisbees.

You can but a turntable in Argos for £50 and keep the radiators turned off !!

Darrrrk stuff that. A mate got about 100 records nicked from his car, these were his bestest, rarest, white label, never-to-be-found-again records, and he reckoned it cost him up to a grand :crying: another reason I'm not keen on em, they're too damagable!

I don't need a turntable cos, umm, I have 400-500 cds, to start again with records would be heartwrenching, and, well I've set up turntables with my decks and it is great fun, yeh, there's an idea in there... :D

Darrrrk stuff that. A mate got about 100 records nicked from his car, these were his bestest, rarest, white label, never-to-be-found-again records, and he reckoned it cost him up to a grand :crying: another reason I'm not keen on em, they're too damagable!

I don't need a turntable cos, umm, I have 400-500 cds, to start again with records would be heartwrenching, and, well I've set up turntables with my decks and it is great fun, yeh, there's an idea in there... :D

My biggest vice is buying CD's, I just can't seem to walk past the shop without one finding its way into my possession. Was the same when vinyl was around!

My biggest vice is buying CD's, I just can't seem to walk past the shop without one finding its way into my possession. Was the same when vinyl was around!

It's a bloody bugger in't it! Thankfully my taste isn't easily appeased so I look down on everything until I see something I must buy. Living 30 seconds from all the HMV's and Virgin's doesnt help matters either. Reminds me that I haven't bought one for a while though... :D

Archived