IGNORED

The Tower Of Babel

mozo

WikiWildWildpedia

The Tower of Babel has always been one of my favourite biblical stories.

Basically, mankind, who all speak one language, try to build a tower so high that they reach the heavens, so that they can go and chill out with God and pull some of those fit angels (I'm reading between the lines on that one...).

So they get dead organised and build this proper good tower, and God looks down and thinks "I don't remember inviting these clowns, I'm going to put a stop to this".

And lo God did cast a spell (or whatever it is that God does to do his magic tricks), and he made it so that they all spoke different languages so that they couldn't communicate with each other and finish the job. The foreman must have been gutted!

The workforce, bamboozled by their language differences, buggered off in groups to find their own countries and abandoned the tower. Quitters.

There is another version of this story in which God invokes bad weather conditions to put a stop to the building of the tower.

The moral of course is that you don't gatecrash God's pad or he'll mess with your mind!

But why did God do this? After all, surely he should have encouraged such an ambitious project? The workers were doing a brilliant job and there were architectural awards at stake, no doubt.

After all, God knew that heaven wasn't actially in the clouds like these morons thought, but he still felt it necessary to put them in their place. Don't you hate it when deities push their weight around just because they can?

Furthermore, God not only encouraged segregation, he enforced it! That's a great example to set, and look where it left us - two thousand years of wars and bickering. I'm only grateful that my forefathers weren't allocated Welsh! :w00t:

:devil:

I'm not sure they submitted planning permission did they? Wasn't that what it was all about?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Tower of Babel was assumed to be the big old ziggurat in ancient Babylon.

Very OTIB topical post there mate. But my understanding is that the people weren't building a tower to the Heaven in the clowds - if only Trev was about at the time they would have realised it wasn't there anyway -but for self glorification in which to make a name for themselves. This is why Big Boy got pissy and decided to mess with their melons.

Either that or he wanted to keep all the sexy angles to himself.

Very OTIB topical post there mate. But my understanding is that the people weren't building a tower to the Heaven in the clowds - if only Trev was about at the time they would have realised it wasn't there anyway -but for self glorification in which to make a name for themselves. This is why Big Boy got pissy and decided to mess with their melons.

Either that or he wanted to keep all the sexy angles to himself.

God has always been very protective of his heavenly nymphettes. So has Trev incidentally, although his shell-suit wearing slappers are hardly worthy of a halo (barely worthy of a 'hello').

Self-glorification through architecture is wrong? Gawd, someone tell the geezers in Beijing and Dubai, cos they're building some whoppers! (New York naturally springs to mind)

God works his magic in some crazy ways, man.

And lo God did cast a spell (or whatever it is that God does to do his magic tricks), and he made it so that they all spoke different languages so that they couldn't communicate with each other and finish the job. The foreman must have been gutted!

The workforce, bamboozled by their language differences, buggered off in groups to find their own countries and abandoned the tower. Quitters.

Do you think it's possible that the workforce eventually regrouped and are now responsible for building the new Wembley Stadium?

God has always been very protective of his heavenly nymphettes. So has Trev incidentally, although his shell-suit wearing slappers are hardly worthy of a halo (barely worthy of a 'hello').

Self-glorification through architecture is wrong? Gawd, someone tell the geezers in Beijing and Dubai, cos they're building some whoppers! (New York naturally springs to mind)

God works his magic in some crazy ways, man.

God knows! (apparently).

I'm hoping he's been browsing this forum in an un-registered state and this will temp him into registering in order to explain once and for all wtfigo. He's obviously not a City fan but we do get these foreign forumites from time to time so who knows? Until he decides too though I'll just have to speculate.....

I don't reckon it'll be the architecture it's self he'll have the hump with more the self glorification, you know how touchy he is about phony idols and the like challenging his supremacy - he's not called Big Boy for nothing you know!

My second and more realistic prediction about his little linguistic funnies all those years ago is that he wanted to give the National Cirriculum another pointless subject - foreign languages - so kids can have yet another 3 hours of their week in which to piss about in.

HE DID IT FOR THE KIDS MAN!

You've got it all wrong. What it was was, Jebus, son of the chap with the lightening, wanted to get the penthouse at the top of Babel, but Moses and his bro Aaron (who lets be honest, never lived up to the stature of his big bro - how let down must his mum be!) also wanted the penthouse, because they thought (silly funkers) that they got on better with god, that they were closer etc, but obviously Jeboo couldnt go around ranting that he was gods son so had to keep schtum, so Moses was actaully just being ignorant, and like I say Aaron was just out of the picture a bit. So they're all arguing and gods just having a laugh cos they all look fickle, and then Allah, gods step bro, steps in talking about locusts getting in his hair and all this, and sends some floods and a snake in an apple tree and possibly a holocaust and, all in all, basically what it comes down to is... BLAME THE MUSLIMS

Another argument was that it was Christian's doing all the building work, they were flying around getting higher and higher, god got a bit worried but looked at how moronic they all were, cos they don't believe in gravity, all the skilled tradesmen were throwing themselves inadvertantly off the edge of the building and then there was noone left to do the building.

The real reason (and I should know this) is that the builders took far too long and invoked penalty clauses. The mixing up of languages was intended to help them to get a move on a bit quicker, because no one could then understand the foreign language version of "tea, three sugars love."

No, you got German instead :razz:

I'm not the only one though am I Sophs? As we know, an infant by the name of Nogbad was found in a basket floating down the river Elbe by the Earl of Hamburg, creator of the Hamburger, who took the child as his adopted heir.

The fable goes that Nogbad beget Sophs, a quintessentially Bavarian daughter whom he forced to iron his lederhosen in a darkened room. Eventually she escaped to acheive her dream of emu farming.

Meanwhile, a gentleman by the name of Mozo was destitute in the gutter of the Rieperbahn district, where he had worked as a lowly docker. He was soon led by an enigmatic stranger, a talking giraffe known only as Trev, who gave the prole shelter in his faraway caravan. Many nights of brandy and opium later, Mozo was right as rain.

The moral of the story being that the Welsh language sounds awful... :farmer:

It's farkin beautiful boyo!

Laughed my head off when the Budweiser advert on ITV said something like 'there's also a town called Cheeseburg'.

Bloody patriotic germans, you can't get much worse than that!

I'm not the only one though am I Sophs? As we know, an infant by the name of Nogbad was found in a basket floating down the river Elbe by the Earl of Hamburg, creator of the Hamburger, who took the child as his adopted heir.

The fable goes that Nogbad beget Sophs, a quintessentially Bavarian daughter whom he forced to iron his lederhosen in a darkened room. Eventually she escaped to acheive her dream of emu farming.

Meanwhile, a gentleman by the name of Mozo was destitute in the gutter of the Rieperbahn district, where he had worked as a lowly docker. He was soon led by an enigmatic stranger, a talking giraffe known only as Trev, who gave the prole shelter in his faraway caravan. Many nights of brandy and opium later, Mozo was right as rain.

:crying: - The whole thing really is beautiful. You're onto something very special with this one Mozo my old son, a highly esteemed noval in the making surely.

ps/high as a kite, just got exam results, all good :D. - despite me expecting quite the opposite :whistle: .

:crying: - The whole thing really is beautiful. You're onto something very special with this one Mozo my old son, a highly esteemed noval in the making surely.

ps/high as a kite, just got exam results, all good :D. - despite me expecting quite the opposite :whistle: .

Glad you enjoyed, no response from Sophs or Nogbad, but their silence speaks volumes: they whole-heartedly second the tale that I regaled here.

Nice one with the exams bud, Bravo!!

WikiWildWildpedia

The Tower of Babel has always been one of my favourite biblical stories.

Basically, mankind, who all speak one language, try to build a tower so high that they reach the heavens, so that they can go and chill out with God and pull some of those fit angels (I'm reading between the lines on that one...).

So they get dead organised and build this proper good tower, and God looks down and thinks "I don't remember inviting these clowns, I'm going to put a stop to this".

There is another version of this story in which God invokes bad weather conditions to put a stop to the building of the tower.

The moral of course is that you don't gatecrash God's pad or he'll mess with your mind!

But why did God do this? After all, surely he should have encouraged such an ambitious project? The workers were doing a brilliant job and there were architectural awards at stake, no doubt.

After all, God knew that heaven wasn't actially in the clouds like these morons thought, but he still felt it necessary to put them in their place. Don't you hate it when deities push their weight around just because they can?

Furthermore, God not only encouraged segregation, he enforced it! That's a great example to set, and look where it left us - two thousand years of wars and bickering. I'm only grateful that my forefathers weren't allocated Welsh! :w00t:

:devil:

All done so we, the human race, do not discover the truth..... about God, the Universe and Everything

And that we certainly do not grasp the 'Human Condition' .................... what a bummer!

All done so we, the human race, do not discover the truth..... about God, the Universe and Everything

And that we certainly do not grasp the 'Human Condition' .................... what a bummer!

Could God give us a clue?

Maybe in the form of charades - 'the meaning of life is...two words...first word - two sylables...Monkey Tennis?...No? Let me think....'

Archived