IGNORED

The Wedlocks Pub

Dollymarie

Hello, wondering if people would mind reading this thread on the Supporters Trust forum regarding the Wedlocks pub.

We are trying to find out a bit more about the history of the pub, and how people feel about it in general, do you feel it is an important part of our clubs history, and how would you feel if it was opened up again.

Please feel free to comment, either on here or on the thread on the Trust forum.

Thanks a lot

http://forums.bristolcityst.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=446

Hello, wondering if people would mind reading this thread on the Supporters Trust forum regarding the Wedlocks pub.

We are trying to find out a bit more about the history of the pub, and how people feel about it in general, do you feel it is an important part of our clubs history, and how would you feel if it was opened up again.

Please feel free to comment, either on here or on the thread on the Trust forum.

Thanks a lot

http://forums.bristolcityst.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=446

Funny you should say this, My partner and I have been accepted for a tenancy with a leading pub group and a refurbishment is planned for the wedlocks and is available to lease (we looked at it personally as I could not think of a better place to have a pub being a avid city fan)......

So it could be open and trading a lot quicker than you think~! :)

By the way Dolly Baby is doing fine and I don't think he can wait to see his favourite football team !

[attachmentid=324]

Heres a little pic of him

Funny you should say this, My partner and I have been accepted for a tenancy with a leading pub group and a refurbishment is planned for the wedlocks and is available to lease (we looked at it personally as I could not think of a better place to have a pub being a avid city fan)......

So it could be open and trading a lot quicker than you think~! :)

By the way Dolly Baby is doing fine and I don't think he can wait to see his favourite football team !

[attachmentid=324]

Heres a little pic of him

That's good news, The Wedlocks looks pitiful all boarded up.

I'd feared it would re-emerge as flats - it'll be great to see it buzzing on matchdays again. :city:

I cycle through Ashton Gate every day and on my way to work one morning recently at about 7.00am, I seen two guys having a pee around the side of the pub with thier unmarked van parked outside the locked toilets opposite. Hanging on the mirror was a mini R*vers shirt and I was in two minds to clear my throat as I wanted to at the time, and empty it in the opened window, not for the fact that they were sags but they were peeing on the pub wall.

The pub itself is steeped in history and from what I am aware the man himself owned it and eventually it was named after him.

Towards the end it was not great and no surprise it closed, but I am surprised how long it has remained closed.

Good luck to the new owners, we may pop in one night as we live in Ashton Vale and visit the Robins rather a lot particularly on a Friday afternoon in the summer.

MM

That's good news, The Wedlocks looks pitiful all boarded up.

I'd feared it would re-emerge as flats - it'll be great to see it buzzing on matchdays again. :city:

Well flats could be an idea especially if its BCFC who are developing them...

Maybe 3/4 extra players maybe returning on the team bus from Latvia and they will offer them

accomodation! :me?:

I've heard a rumour that it had been bought by a property developer and they are waiting on planning permission, I hope this is not true, as it would be great to see it reopened

i am disgusted by this happening

wish they would stop knocking down the pubs

Get that bloke Ferguson on the case, the one who's trying to stop The Albert being developed.

Unfortunately the Albert will be developed, fact.

I heard that the landlord of the 3 Lions (Shaun) was trying to buy the Wedlocks, but was being priced out of it by ridiculous demands from the brewery who own it.

Errr kinda true, it was more to do with a disagreent with the Police, that it may have to close on saturdays if it got too lively, its also a pub that isnt busy all year round, makes money on 23 days of the year and with the risk of the police it wasnt worth the money. I think.

I used to work at the Wedlocks 20+ years ago, and used to drink in the pub when it was called The Star, it would be lovely to see the old place opened up again, I also worked in The Ship and Castle prior to Wedlocks, but know both pubs used to do a very good trade on home games. :chant6ez: good ol' days they were :whistle:

Get that bloke Ferguson on the case, the one who's trying to stop The Albert being developed.

Next time he pops in to our office, I'll ask him his opinion about it... Thing is, being that he owns the Cafe/Bar downstairs (from work, i mean!) so its almost direct competition..

Next time he pops in to our office, I'll ask him his opinion about it... Thing is, being that he owns the Cafe/Bar downstairs (from work, i mean!) so its almost direct competition..

Tom,

he was quoted in the local free paper as saying he would try and help save The Albert, as he saw it as a local landmark and because of it's musical tradition.

Of course being the local media, they could have just completely made the interview up, I suppose.

Can you also try and pursuade him to continue his crusade to reopen the albert?

I would hate to see that place be permantely shut, although I would be able to say that I went to the last jazz rendition in their when squaters had a party. Cracking night it was too!!

Although I may get slated for this I'm not too bothered if the wedlocks opens again. Although it was an okay pub it never really offered anything better or different from the local places.

If I was a landlord I wouldn't take that place on. As someone previously stated it will only have 23 days of good business a year and unless they can really differentiate it from north street or hotwells then it's location is always going to mean it will struggle.

A bit difficult to say that I fequent the place while I live in Canada.

However, i always enjoyed drinking at the place before games and it has a long history associated with the gate. The fact that it is called Wedlocks and a epitaph of our great player who should be remembered in history is akin to rallying to keep the place open and resurrect it for a new lease of life.

Actually, I don't know if it's in the plans but it would be a great place for the ST to run it and have it for their headquarters?

Errr kinda true, it was more to do with a disagreent with the Police, that it may have to close on saturdays if it got too lively, its also a pub that isnt busy all year round, makes money on 23 days of the year and with the risk of the police it wasnt worth the money. I think.

Spot on mate, the Wedlocks was a ghost town any other night of the week as is the Rising Sun now, the Coopers is the only one busy every night of the week, probably because the beer is excellent in there.

Can you also try and pursuade him to continue his crusade to reopen the albert?

I would hate to see that place be permantely shut, although I would be able to say that I went to the last jazz rendition in their when squaters had a party. Cracking night it was too!!

Although I may get slated for this I'm not too bothered if the wedlocks opens again. Although it was an okay pub it never really offered anything better or different from the local places.

If I was a landlord I wouldn't take that place on. As someone previously stated it will only have 23 days of good business a year and unless they can really differentiate it from north street or hotwells then it's location is always going to mean it will struggle.

Not sure what's wrong with Wedlocks location, plenty of people living within walking distance.

The exterior is imposing and impressive. I always found the inside bland, the beer mediocre and the staff ( on non-match days) somewhat disinterested.

All it needs is an enthusiastic couple with new ideas to run it, a complete but tasteful refurbishment and top quality beer/cider.

Then the 23 days a year when the City hoardes descend would simply be an added bonus.

The post in the other forum asks what links the pub to the club ... the answer is that the man himself Billy Wedlock was landlord for several years after his retirement from playing.

I have seen the minute books of the BCFC board from the late 40s/early 50s where he invoiced the club for sandwiches, etc. - what counted for corporate hospitality in those days, I suppose. If I get a moment I'll rustle through some old files for more info when I get home.

Not sure what's wrong with Wedlocks location, plenty of people living within walking distance.

The exterior is imposing and impressive. I always found the inside bland, the beer mediocre and the staff ( on non-match days) somewhat disinterested.

All it needs is an enthusiastic couple with new ideas to run it, a complete but tasteful refurbishment and top quality beer/cider.

Then the 23 days a year when the City hoardes descend would simply be an added bonus.

I've always felt that it was the pub most out on a limb with regards to the local ones. It has a few businesses around it rather than surrounded by housing and although p;laces are in walking distance you have to walk past a few other pubs to get to it.

It's also not really on the way to anywhere so you won't get that many people popping in on the way to town or clifton.

I guess that a good landlord would attract more people but I hink they would have to be pretty special to get a large volume going in daily.

I've always felt that it was the pub most out on a limb with regards to the local ones. It has a few businesses around it rather than surrounded by housing and although p;laces are in walking distance you have to walk past a few other pubs to get to it.

It's also not really on the way to anywhere so you won't get that many people popping in on the way to town or clifton.

I guess that a good landlord would attract more people but I hink they would have to be pretty special to get a large volume going in daily.

You could be right, but to my mind if the beer has a good enough reputation the people will come.

Making better use of the 'garden' so that people can look over the park on a Summer's evening would be another improvement to draw in customers.

To get more regulars, a REALLY enthusiastic licensee would start up darts & football teams etc. and have quiz nights and other regular entertainment.

It's such a great old building it's hard to believe the right landlord couldn't make a go of it.

You could be right, but to my mind if the beer has a good enough reputation the people will come.

Making better use of the 'garden' so that people can look over the park on a Summer's evening would be another improvement to draw in customers.

To get more regulars, a REALLY enthusiastic licensee would start up darts & football teams etc. and have quiz nights and other regular entertainment.

It's such a great old building it's hard to believe the right landlord couldn't make a go of it.

I agree that a great landlord and good beer could make it a good place but think that so much work would be needed that it wouldn't really be worth the hassle or cost.

can see your point with ob and the money side

but if the wedlocks was done up as nice as the 3 lions i can see it

being more busy in week nights and it has potential with the beer garden and park next to

the pub for familes, to be fair the wedlocks was run down a bit come the end.

i wish someone would reopen it as it's the missing link in my pub craw :)

but yeah it should be reopened as there is not many left in the traditional match

day pubs and if the supporters trust can help do something about it then go for it.

IPB Image

In my opinion, a lot of the problems the Wedlocks went through before it closed were largely self inflicted, and could have been avoided.

I have heard that ALLEGEDLY there was a lot of drug dealing going on, ALLEGEDLY with the landlord's knowledge.

When this happens in any pub regularly a certain bad atmosphere is bound to be created.

I am sure that if a tough landlord went in who could control what was going on in there, and give it a bit of a re-fit, the pub could be a success.

If this was the case the police would probably be more willing to let it stay open on matchdays also.

In my opinion, a lot of the problems the Wedlocks went through before it closed were largely self inflicted, and could have been avoided.

I have heard that ALLEGEDLY there was a lot of drug dealing going on, ALLEGEDLY with the landlord's knowledge.

When this happens in any pub regularly a certain bad atmosphere is bound to be created.

I am sure that if a tough landlord went in who could control what was going on in there, and give it a bit of a re-fit, the pub could be a success.

If this was the case the police would probably be more willing to let it stay open on matchdays also.

It was nothing to do wit hthat, i havent heard of this, it was because it was a City pub and trouble may have come from that pub on big games so the police held a risk that they would close the pub down if their was any sniff of violence.

It was nothing to do wit hthat, i havent heard of this, it was because it was a City pub and trouble may have come from that pub on big games so the police held a risk that they would close the pub down if their was any sniff of violence.

Doesn't really make sense. Wedlocks, or The Star as it was, as far as i know remained open throughout our old Division 1 days when the area around it- the road and the park - was a wholesale running battleground after the majority of games.

Today's very occasional trouble after "big" games simply doesn't compare.

By your analysis ALL the pubs in the environs would have been closed down years ago.

Today's very occasional trouble after "big" games simply doesn't compare.

We know this but the police have powers now that go beyond anything in the seventies and eighties.

Despite the restrictions for Swansea the police requested pubs to shut which some like the Hen & Chicken did. The police can now shut a pub even if trouble has not occured if they wish via the civil court by applying for an asbo.

All nothing to do with closure of the Wedlock as the landlord could not make a go of it after the brewery put the rent up.

Archived