IGNORED

Fav Film

RedRedRobin32

La Haine

:D

As for those of you that said Donnie Darko... YOU DISGUST ME! What are you thinking? That throwing some chronological disarray makes it good? That a lack of character/theme/subplot makes it good? YOU'RE JUST WRONG

Anyone seen Lost Highway? That is quality. In fact any David Lynch is quality. Old Boy, up there with the best.... I'd say my fav is... at the moment... Dark Days - an amazing film about this underground world (real world as well!) in New York where loads of tramps live in derelict train tunnels. Has got loads of DJ Shadow in there, who is a leg end. Want to see Kidulthood - thats got Skinnyman in it, sounds well good.

As for those of you that said Donnie Darko... YOU DISGUST ME! What are you thinking? That throwing some chronological disarray makes it good? That a lack of character/theme/subplot makes it good? YOU'RE JUST WRONG

Stick to Harry Potter then Bazzle.

Character? A dysfunctional suburban family - Donnie being an intelligent, hallucinating student with a dark side.

Theme? Time travel, death, education, moral panics, suburbia, the subconscious.

Sub-plot? Donnie's relationships with his mother and with his girlfriend. The twisted minds of the local community figures. The politics at Donnie's school.

What else? Great soundtrack. Great acting from a lesser known cast. 100% originality. Dark humour. It doesn't pander to a mainstream audience. Nicely shot.

The dealbraker? Patrick Swayze as the smarmy life-coach who get's rumbled as a paedophile! Genius.

Not convinced? Then YOU my friend are wrong :D .

Want to see Kidulthood - thats got Skinnyman in it, sounds well good.

Didn't know that, mind have to research that one!

Character? A dysfunctional suburban family - Donnie being an intelligent, hallucinating student with a dark side.

Sub-plot? Donnie's relationships with his mother and with his girlfriend. The twisted minds of the local community figures. The politics at Donnie's school.

What else? Great soundtrack. Great acting from a lesser known cast. 100% originality. Dark humour. It doesn't pander to a mainstream audience. Nicely shot.

The dealbraker? Patrick Swayze as the smarmy life-coach who get's rumbled as a paedophile! Genius.

Yeah Baz, you nincompoop. Donnie Darko is great because it dark and original. The film is disturbing mess, just like life in fact.

Yeah Baz, you nincompoop. Donnie Darko is great because it dark and original. The film is disturbing mess, just like life in fact.

ORIGINAL?

DONNIE DARKO???

Are you sure we're on about the same film?

Donnie Darko is not original, that is a fairly common pre-conception so I'll let you off, but it certaintly isn't original. Film has explored theme's of mis-continuity, time and the subconscious in relation to this since before the 30's. I know because I studied it for 3 years (mickey mouse I know). Films like Memento (and even a lot of Hitchcock) evaluate the ways that time and linearity is manipulated in much more depth than this flimsy little thing. Donnie Darko is a commercial film - it highlights the affore mentioned aspects without actually looking into them or offering an opinion, which in my eyes, makes it a waste of time.

The main character is 2d, and badly acted. The others are mainly cameo roles by b/c class celebs.

The only theme that I liked and as a result can actually remember, was the death theme with the rabbit, but still, it was like the director didnt really know what he wanted to say, just that he wanted to address a certain theme, which really makes it an irrelevance to me. Fair play that is another theme of the subconscious, but without any direction (hence the name director fs!), there's not really much point.

If a film is good because it is dark, look into Pi or any David Lynch film - that is dark, this pales in comparison.

And like you say mozo, for the cherry on top, they stuck Swayze in there.

Argh, got a virus on my comp, gotta boost

Archived