IGNORED

Bridges 250,000 Bid Rejected!

ajs202

On the face of it, it does seem like a silly idea to release him. But put it another way:

if he was never going to do the business for us for whatever reason, there was no point keeping him.

he only came because of Marcus and when Marcus was out of favour, MB probably thought "why the hell am I here"?

Ive got no problem when these things happen, i mean its football. What i have got a problem with is Johnson publically stating that he isnt going anywhere and then look what he does. Johnson is great when it comes to getting gritty players and the right work ethic in a team but that isnt just what a great manager is all about. If ferguson had the same ethic he would never have signed cantona and who knows if Man Utd would have won the league that season and had near dominance on the premiership for so long.

I'm confident he will get us promoted this season, but how far will johnson take us when he doesnt want to have to deal with difficult players who have excellent talent? It is often the case the great players have a touch of arrogance about them, and its that factor that makes them that extra bit good. Well with Johnson in charge i doubt we will get many of those types of players, if any!

Final comment, he recently again said about Wilkshires departure i wonder what "proper" league he will end up in. I think this again will only prove to bite him in the bum.

at the risk of getting a slating along the lines of 'if you don't find a post interesting then don't respond to it', why are we obsessed with ex players to such a massive extent? do port vale fans constantly agonise over the fact they let steve brooker go so cheaply to this extent?? after the sale of andy cole for a relative pittance years ago all of this seems small fry.

plus i thought bridges was going to villa :whistle:

Ive got no problem when these things happen, i mean its football. What i have got a problem with is Johnson publically stating that he isnt going anywhere and then look what he does. Johnson is great when it comes to getting gritty players and the right work ethic in a team but that isnt just what a great manager is all about. If ferguson had the same ethic he would never have signed cantona and who knows if Man Utd would have won the league that season and had near dominance on the premiership for so long.

The players that GJ has brought in relates to the league we play in, we don't need two or three show ponys we need solid reliable players who are going to a job week in week out, as for your Man Utd comparison :w00t: It just doesnt work. football at this level is a completely different ball game, also are you saying Bridges was our 'Cantona' :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm confident he will get us promoted this season

Really, and still having a dig-Jez some people :pinch:

I'm confident he will get us promoted this season, but how far will johnson take us when he doesnt want to have to deal with difficult players who have excellent talent? It is often the case the great players have a touch of arrogance about them, and its that factor that makes them that extra bit good. Well with Johnson in charge i doubt we will get many of those types of players, if any!

Final comment, he recently again said about Wilkshires departure i wonder what "proper" league he will end up in. I think this again will only prove to bite him in the bum.

Agree - I think GJ can be too stubborn and cut off his nose etc, etc. Without revisiting old ground, Bridges would have scored more than Savage if he had played as many games IMO.

People on this board seem to forget sometimes that goals win matches, not hard work and 101% effort !

They're turning down a quarter million for a player who's not signing a new contract? And they're trying to get him to sign a new deal on less money after winning promotion? The mind boggles.

Presumably they took him off our hands on something half-resembling the high money we were paying him?

If that's the case I suppose that might be why they couldn't offer him the same amount long-term. As you say though, them not accepting £¼m seems ridiculous. No guarantees he'll be doing the business in League One next year and if he does he'll be out of contract in 12 months and will pick and choose from the offers, if he doesn't they'll maybe not want him but be unable to get any fee for him.

Presumably they took him off our hands on something half-resembling the high money we were paying him?If that's the case I suppose that might be why they couldn't offer him the same amount long-term.

We weren't paying him big money, he was on an average first team salary. Granted that might be at the top of Carlisle's scale but he played a big part in promotion for them.

As you say though, them not accepting £¼m seems ridiculous. No guarantees he'll be doing the business in League One next year and if he does he'll be out of contract in 12 months and will pick and choose from the offers, if he doesn't they'll maybe not want him but be unable to get any fee for him.

Yep that's just absolutely silly.

Edit:

A thought occurs to me. Perhaps we're the reason they're not selling? Perhaps we have some sort of clause in the transfer that guarantees us most of any fee and that's why SL said he's going nowhere?

Nibor - we have no clause whatsoever in what I thought at the time was a ridiculous decision and still think so now.

Yeah I heard that at the time, but I'm really struggling to think of reasons why Carlisle would offer him less money and turn down a big bid. I guess the only other one is that they're planning to sell they just want more money.

The players that GJ has brought in relates to the league we play in, we don't need two or three show ponys we need solid reliable players who are going to a job week in week out,

Didnt do Carlisle any harm!

as for your Man Utd comparison :w00t: It just doesnt work. football at this level is a completely different ball game, also are you saying Bridges was our 'Cantona' :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We will never know will we. He certainly helped Carlisle. My comparisom to Cantona was more making a point that top managers need good man management skills to deal with a variety of personalities. It does seem Johnson cant manage the bigger ego players. At this level he can get away with it and he is very very good at building hard working teams as shown with yeovil.

Really, and still having a dig-Jez some people :pinch:

Actually some people can say both negative things about people and positive, they don't have to jump on one side of the arguement or the other! Its called trying to be objective. :ranting: It was hard to be objective on this thread because the negatives outway the positives by a mile on this topic.

Didnt do Carlisle any harm!

We will never know will we. He certainly helped Carlisle. My comparisom to Cantona was more making a point that top managers need good man management skills to deal with a variety of personalities. It does seem Johnson cant manage the bigger ego players. At this level he can get away with it and he is very very good at building hard working teams as shown with yeovil.

Surely thats what we've been screaming out for for the last 5/6 seasons-now we got it individuals like yourself are finding a different angle to attack a good manager, That's not objective it's petty :rolleyes:

If Johnson felt the likes of Bridges didnt fit in with his plans then that is his choice as manager, and I fully support our manager decision, you also seem to forget MB had other issues off the field.

As long as he delivers the goods come May 07 who give a flying **** about Michael Bridges.

Surely thats what we've been screaming out for for the last 5/6 seasons-now we got it individuals like yourself are finding a different angle to attack a good manager, That's not objective it's petty :rolleyes:

Surely the two aren't mutually exclusive, it's perfectly possible to have a hard working team with some quality players in?

If Johnson felt the likes of Bridges didnt fit in with his plans then that is his choice as manager, and I fully support our manager decision,

That's fair enough but you have to question why we didn't get a sell on.

you also seem to forget MB had other issues off the field.

What were these then? I've never heard of him having any off the field issues.

If Johnson felt the likes of Bridges didnt fit in with his plans then that is his choice as manager, and I fully support our manager decision, you also seem to forget MB had other issues off the field.

As long as he delivers the goods come May 07 who give a flying **** about Michael Bridges.

AS LONG AS....................!

You have done nothing but attack my opinions of Johnson. That is petty :rolleyes: I have included good points about Johnson but as i previously pointed out, on the topic of letting Bridges go their are not many positives to find.

What problems? Ill quote Johnson "he always trained hard, and showed a great attitude"

250,000 Reasons so far :blink: Ill let this drop in about another 3 months :D

Archived