IGNORED

Computer Boffs And Geeks.........

Big Red Rich

Start by turning your computer on, whilst waiting for it to load up, go and brew up or have a fag or something, by the time you get back it should be time to put your password in, so do that, all being well you'll get into the windows starting up screen. Tap your fingers or something until you wait and then click on the start icon in the bottom left handside of the screen, after that.... Nope, sorry I dunno

Does anyone know how to turn a regular video clip into an animated gif?

Thanks in advance.

It's not simple.

You need some software that's capable of extracting single images in jpg format from the video clip (think frames). It will need to work with the format the clip is in. I think virtual dub can do this.

You need to pick one frame every so often at regular intervals (like every 0.5 seconds), not every frame, because the gif would be too large.

You'll probably then want to resize the images if you're trying to make an avatar. This can be done in MS paint or photo editor or something.

Then you need some other software that can build a .gif from images, something like this.

Start by turning your computer on, whilst waiting for it to load up, go and brew up or have a fag or something, by the time you get back it should be time to put your password in, so do that, all being well you'll get into the windows starting up screen. Tap your fingers or something until you wait and then click on the start icon in the bottom left handside of the screen, after that.... Nope, sorry I dunno

:D

It's not simple.

You need some software that's capable of extracting single images in jpg format from the video clip (think frames). It will need to work with the format the clip is in. I think virtual dub can do this.

You need to pick one frame every so often at regular intervals (like every 0.5 seconds), not every frame, because the gif would be too large.

You'll probably then want to resize the images if you're trying to make an avatar. This can be done in MS paint or photo editor or something.

Then you need some other software that can build a .gif from images, something like this.

You don't necessarily need to pick one frame every so often. Virtual Dub has a 'save as image sequence' function, that does what it says on the tin and then you can feed it in to ImageReady or Animation Shop or whatever to make your gif and adjust the quality/frame rate in that.

You don't necessarily need to pick one frame every so often. Virtual Dub has a 'save as image sequence' function, that does what it says on the tin and then you can feed it in to ImageReady or Animation Shop or whatever to make your gif and adjust the quality/frame rate in that.

Fair enough, I've never tried it. I just used virtual dub for converting some DVDs down onto an ipod.

• Admin

If you save the video into .avi format you can load it directly into ImageReady which will then ask you which frames you want to keep.

I usually go with every 3rd frame then up the sequence time from one frame every .04 seconds to every .1 seconds.

But the correct answer to Rich's original post was "ask Madger to do it for you" :rolleyes::laugh:

Archived