IGNORED

Cars

Mikenoski

Had an accident on a little rd in Croyde Bay this weekend just gone...and Ive only got third party cover... Cost me £235 to get car uplifted back to Bristol. Another £40 to have a garage in Bristol pick it up. Approx £275 in parts (if I get 2nd hand ones!) and approx £220 in labour. :pinch:

£770 in total (Only IF, as I said, I can get the parts 2nd hand) :crying:

I only went for a 'cheap' weekend away.

So, in an attempt to make myself feel better off of other peoples misery, whats the most youve ever had to spend on car repairs?

Lovely place.... Last time I went I snapped my car key about an hour before we were all due to go home.

I do like it there though.... only when I go again someone else is driving and carrying all my valued items. I obviously cant be trusted.

It's obvious that you, Croyde and cars don't get on. So yep best off to get someone else to drive. :D

Try ebay for parts if you can, when my wing mirror got knocked off at AG just after Christmas, vauxhall charged me just under £100.

When some nice plank did it again a couple of weeks ago, I bought one off ebay for £36, and then thankfully the ever so nice RED4LIFE fitted it onto my car as a favour.

Sorry your weekend cost you so much. :(

Cars are a pain in the rear. I snapped my steering rack and it took nearly two months to fix. Thankfully I did it through my insurance otherwise it would have cost over £1000. THat was 4 months after I wrote my other car off!!! Is there no way you can get cover with your parents instead of 3rd party cover? Also do you not have breakdown cover because they may have taken the car without charging you? Some companies are very cheap I know greenflag and direct line breakdown do good cover. Good luck with your car. Its like they say as soon as you buy a car your skint for keeping it maintained!

My motor got keyed all across the roof parked near Ashton Gate early last season. Took it to the Audi bodyshop, they wanted £800 to respray the roof.

It was a 'kin joke... the bloke even said "we'll have to get a windscreen company in to take both windscreens out which is why it costs so much, sometimes accidents happen too which puts the price up". They blatantly only want to rip off insurance companies and aren't interested in normal business.

Went to Whitehouse in Bemmy, they masked the windscreens (shock horror) and it got done for less than £300 - my excess - and they did an excellent job.

Now all I need to do is find the sumbitch that keyed it and fill him in.

Ive got third party cover because I thought I was making a saving. :blush:

Ive got a married couple policy as well which also makes it 'cheaper'. :doh:

The car itself is fairly nice for what it is and I definatley wouldnt get one as good for the amount it is going to cost to repair.....so as much as it pains me, I think it makes sense to repair it.

When it happened the AA initially told me they were sending sombody out to me and then phoned back 2 hours later to say that I wasnt covered for accident assistance. :ranting:

Good shout about E-bay Dolly, thank you.... I'll get on the case now!

When it happened the AA initially told me they were sending sombody out to me and then phoned back 2 hours later to say that I wasnt covered for accident assistance. :ranting:

I was with the AA until the start of July. I broke down during June and was left on hold for an hour and three quarters, then the chap came out, took one look and said the car needed to be recovered and proceeded to phone the AA back up to arrange it..... problem was that he was sub-contracted to the AA so he had to ring the customer services number and hold like I did :ranting:

Another two hours later the recovery truck turned up, not before the police stopped to see what I was doing sat by the side of the road at 2:30am. That's when the officer told me about the AA not even collecting your car if it has an accident.... she recommended the RAC.

All-in-all, I broke down in Swindon at half eleven, I got home in Bristol at 4am.

Needless to say, myself and my dad (who has had his membership with them since 1982) have now shifted companies.

I had a car that developed a creaking noise from the dashboard. Next service, I mentioned this and asked them to have a look. When I picked it up they told me that they couldn't see anything obvious, but I could book it back in for them to look properly.

The cost would be :

8 hours labour at £70 plus VAT to take the dashboard apart and put back

Parts if they needed to replace anything

Another couple of hours labour to fix what ever they found

Potential cost £900 to fix a rattle.

I told them that I would leave it, and I just turned the volume up on the radio.

I have first hand experience of what rip off merchants main dealers are. Car compaines in the main are losing millions every year and this is just one way they are trying to screw people over. I once had an LPG commercial vehicle which went wrong, Vauxhall quoted me £900 + vat to put it right, I got all the bits myself and a local company did it, total cost was about £300. Little metal rings that cost me 40p, Vauxhall were charging £14! My advice is, unless your vehicle is under warranty, NEVER get main dealers to repair any problems, just get a local garage to do it. Main dealer service history is all well and good when selling a vehicle, but in the main, are you going to get the extra £1000 when selling it, that you have paid to get a nice little dealer stamp in the book???

Mine had to be my last car, it was a rover (yes, yes I know!) It was making a sqeaking noise So i took it to my local garage to be told that the head gasket was about to go, I hunted high and low, but the cheapest repair prices was £990!!! Arggh! I was not best pleased! xxx

Mine had to be my last car, it was a rover (yes, yes I know!) It was making a sqeaking noise So i took it to my local garage to be told that the head gasket was about to go, I hunted high and low, but the cheapest repair prices was £990!!! Arggh! I was not best pleased! xxx

That ole chesnut....

Sorry Dinky but that sounds to me like you got stitched up.

If anyone needs a good garage I recommend Knowle Motor Co... small place at the back of Broadwalk. The blokes who work there are on the level and they're good value. If they can't do the work they'll tell you where best to take it and when they fix something it stays fixed. Used them for years.

And I would recommend Stones Autos in Horfield. Top guys, be and the mother been using em for years. Perhaps we should all post up the names of the places where we KNOW we won't be ripped off? Good service for fellow fans!

Stones Autos - 01179249450

Guest CadburyHeath Red

Had an accident on a little rd in Croyde Bay this weekend just gone...and Ive only got third party cover... Cost me £235 to get car uplifted back to Bristol. Another £40 to have a garage in Bristol pick it up. Approx £275 in parts (if I get 2nd hand ones!) and approx £220 in labour. :pinch:

£770 in total (Only IF, as I said, I can get the parts 2nd hand) :crying:

I only went for a 'cheap' weekend away.

So, in an attempt to make myself feel better off of other peoples misery, whats the most youve ever had to spend on car repairs?

£1100 after going into the back of a 6 month old BMW in my Astra Cabriolet whilst lighting a fag about 7 years ago!

Hardly any damage to the BMW but I bent the chassis on mine & the hood wouldnt stay shut!

Only had the car a couple of weeks.

£1100 after going into the back of a 6 month old BMW in my Astra Cabriolet whilst lighting a fag about 7 years ago!

Hardly any damage to the BMW but I bent the chassis on mine & the hood wouldnt stay shut!

Only had the car a couple of weeks.

And do you still smoke?!?!!! Expensive fag.....

Guest CadburyHeath Red

And do you still smoke?!?!!! Expensive fag.....

Yeah, I still smoke. I laughed when it happened, didnt look that bad! Wasnt until I took it to Dan Harford Vauxhall & they said it'd cost 2 grand plus to sort that it hit me!

The only reason I got done for £1100 is cus I took it back to the garage I bought it from & he done me a good deal!

£500 mid-section of the exhaust

£300 to repair the abs/ traction control

£300 to repair the air con (not a luxury nowadays)

Car is ultimatly worth less that the repairs and it's a bit special as cars go, we do pay the ultimate price don't we for wheels?................. erm yes, I could get a mini but it would not be the same really

Sod Gary Numan...... Cars........... bloody expensive to repair are Cars dum, dum.... are cars dum, dum

Archived