IGNORED

Our Progress As A Club

Jimmy

It is rather ironic that it has taken a desperately dissapointing away loss at Bradford for it to hit home how far this club has come.

Listening to last nights commetary on Bristol City World I was truly on tenterhooks, willing our every attack to reap reward so that we may gain the point we undoubtably deserved. However it was not until after the game, and even the day after that it occured to me how far we have come as a club since Johnson obtained the reigns or, if you will, after the 9 game losing streak.

I do not believe I have ever been so eager for matchday. Optimism before the seasons start was sky high, the difference this season being that not only were the chairman and manager courting our promotion aspirations, but an underlying sense of fan confidence appeared to be flowing. Sure none of us, myself included dared whisper the words promtion, but I think most on here would be lying if suggesting that a top 2 finish be a potential target too far.

At the start of last season I was optimistic. On paper we had 2 of the best players in the divison (Bridges and Stewart), our new Shaun Taylor (Matt Heywood) and a crop of youngsters eagerly wanting to contribute. I felt that these factors could perhaps outweigh the relatively inexperienced manager and produce a successful season. Hindsight of course informs just how misplaced my hope was, with Heywood on loan, Bridges shown the door, Stewart all but gone and the name Tinnion merely being a reference point to one of the darkest days of this clubs recent history.

This time around somethings different.

When we dropped points at home to Doncaster, when Bridges put on a one man show to salvage a home point against MK Dons. After we were played off the park by Colchester for the first 45 minutes at our home, the loss away to Barnet in the LDV and the 4 successive away league losses cumilating in Tinnions last hurrah, for me all of those results combined did not equal the disappointment I felt after yesterdays result.

For me that tells me something.

It tells me this year we are going places. It tells me that my desire for us to be successful is not purely based on hopes and dreams. The belief that we have, can and are going forward as a club can not be ignored. I am not for one second suggesting we are going to walk this league, I'm not even attempting to insinuate we are automatic promotion bound. However for once with this club it just feels right.

Understandably in regards to this club fans are unwilling to utter the words promotion. However for me the confidence I have in the manager, the squad and the football we play, which {bizzarely} didnt especially hit home until last nights defeat, tells me subconciously or not, that whether we are re-building, building or championship contenders, we are heading in the right direction and at last have more than some pieces of the puzzle.

A good post Jimmy, and I must mention that I love your signatures...

Your right, even though I wished and wanted Tinman to do well, there was always a small nagging doubt in my mind.

With GJ it does feel right. Puma on board, website of the year, some good summer signings - as you say - the only way is up...

In the dark days of last season when G J was rightfully shaking this club upside down and we could'nt even buy a win losing 9 on the trot, we all would have been uplifted by the performance and result of last night, but a short 9 or 10 months down the line were all a bit gutted we never took a point or 3, thats how far we have come in such a short space of time under GJ

I must mention that I love your signatures...

Cheers Mate!

2 things to note regarding my signatures;

1 - I was most dissapointed when I realised it was necessary to add '2004' in brackets after the date.

and,

2 - 'Preferably through promotion' was something I included when creating the original signiture. It was only after we hit rock bottom that I felt the need to make it bold!

Yes, I felt bad about Tuesday as well. But the point is we always lose in the north on a Tuesday night, and we did so again. Good changes have been made...the squad looks more together...but we still lose these type of games. And I can see it now...we will play well at Hudds on Saturday, have a few good chances...and lose again.

What I want to know is have we got that bit extra? When we start winning games like Tuesdays, that's when i'll believe rather than just hope like I normally do.

As soon as the text came in at half time, I shot up stairs to see if this was correct and to my horror it was. I had my eyes glued on the Bradford City game on the BBC website for the next 45 minutes, and when it said FT I felt bad and dissappointed.

Indeed you cannot win every game, ask Arsenal or even Chelsea. But in my opinon its better to have a defeat in the first couple of games than the last couple. This defeat will only stand in good deed.

Nice post... There is no doubting the commitment and desire of the current squad, and they do look much more organised (The cynic in me wonders if it possible to be less organised than we were under Tins)... BUT.. that old nagging doubt, are we lacking in players with that little bit of class going forward?

Archived