IGNORED

Too Many Ordinary Players ?

headhunter

Yes, 3 games in and that IS too early to start writing off the seaspn after a poor start.

Amongst the hysteria there are some good points : I agree about Brooker being off the pace and the argument about the court case preoccupying his thoughts is fair ; Cotterill is not as good as he thinks he is ; the impressive stats for when Scott Brown plays speak for themsleves.

My own view is not much different to 12 months ago when 7 new faces came in ; it's 6 this year and we have a squad that is high in numbers but low in quality.

Look at it this way. How many sides at this level could put out 2 teams of, in my opinion, equal ability. One is in a 4-4-2 formation the other 3-5-2 :

TEAM A

Basso

Orr-Carey-Fontaine-Woodman

Cotterill-Skuse-Noble-Murray

Brooker-Jevons

TEAM B

Hennessey

McCombe-Keogh-Heywood

Johnson-Brown-Russell-Smith-McAllister

Showumni-Williams

Team A is the current first choice but would we have fared less well in our last 2 away games if Team B had taken the field ? Notice I've left out altogether a full international [Partridge] and someone else [stewart] costing the club £5k per week in wages ! Both if ,their heads were right / they could be managed effectively, should be immediate selections.

Mediocrity in depth and as a result an unnecessarily high wage bill is what we have now. I don't think Johnson can manage quality players and I do think [as one other poster has stated today] the last two signings are two too many [ and I'd be a bit miffed if I had worked hard in pre-season and was going to lose their place to daddy's boy !!!

By the way, if you think I'm being critical them I feel I have a right. I've paid 5 years money up front for two Prawn Sandwich [Premier Club] season tickets and when asked paid to place an ad in the Supporters Trust magazine !!

I totally agree, although it has been this way for a while. Young Wilson is allegedly highly rated, but how is he ever going to get a look in when we are so overloaded with defenders? For that matter, how will Keogh?Whilst not knocking Jimmy Mac and Lee , their signings just push Williams further down the pecking order. Tough call, we all demand instant success, not allowing younger players to come in and learn, even though that is often a better long-term policy.

Looking at the players listed, we really do lack flair and creativity. I disagree about Cotterill, I think that he will be a very good player - Once he learns to keep it simple when necessary!

Archived