IGNORED

Grant Smith To Barnsley?

Walshy

Guest barnsley

Well mate, can you post me a picture of him, I'm going to oakwell tommorow so ill see if he's there, and please tell me some info about him, eg position

Thanks

I've been told that Grant Smith will be joining Barnsley on trial tomorrow.

Don't know if to believe it or not. If its true, its another one of our players not considered good enough for our team, but ok for The Championship.

Who are the others?

:dunno:

Don't know if to believe it or not. If its true, its another one of our players not considered good enough for our team, but ok for The Championship.

I think its obvious Tommy was good enough for this team, but his personal life got in the way.

If this is true, it is a very valid point. Something is going wrong somewhere.

IMO, GS never looked that bad when he was given a chance...nothing spectacular but nothing bad. Also, he scored a fair few goals at Swindon and was one of their better players when I saw him against us. He also got a couple for Wallsall(?) when he was on loan last season.

If this is true, it is a very valid point. Something is going wrong somewhere.

IMO, GS never looked that bad when he was given a chance...nothing spectacular but nothing bad. Also, he scored a fair few goals at Swindon and was one of their better players when I saw him against us. He also got a couple for Wallsall(?) when he was on loan last season.

But he never did the business for us.

The bloke has never been given a fair crack of the whip, I am surprised he hasnt featured at all when we are screaming out for a attacking left sided player?

That's the problem, he's not a left sided player. He's a central midfielder. He didn't perform well on the wing because he can't go past people. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, it means he was brought in for the wrong job.

That's the problem, he's not a left sided player. He's a central midfielder. He didn't perform well on the wing because he can't go past people. That doesn't mean he's a bad player, it means he was brought in for the wrong job.

Do you have to go past people to be a good winger? Surely good delivery would survice. One of the best wide players in the past decade could not run past a player if his life depended on it.

But I take your point.

Smith was not very good out wide for us. He had a startling spell of scoring in the middle of the pitch but he rates himself too highly and his career is best described as one spent in reserve teams. You have to wonder if his scoring spree was down to the fact he was soon to be out of contract, the subsequent time spent with you guys and then Walsall suggests he is one of those players comfortable to just pick up their wages but thinking they are great at all times.

I'd say you'd be best shot of him and if you have to have him then only bring him into the team with about 3 months of his contract remaining.

Do you have to go past people to be a good winger? Surely good delivery would survice. One of the best wide players in the past decade could not run past a player if his life depended on it.

But I take your point.

Most wide players are expected to go past people, and Beckham's delivery was immense but even he got criticised quite a bit for not being able to beat people. I just didn't get the impression from watching Smith that he was happy playing wide, he didn't make progress down the line and didn't seem to get into positions to cross the ball.

Archived