IGNORED

My View Of Last Night..

Wilksi

Well what can I say...

Went down last night to see the lads play and saw some of the best football I have seen at Ashton Gate in years..

6-0 and the quality of how the goals were scored stuck out like a sore thumb..

The sags threw nothing up in terms of defence and if any of thier first team players are injured and thats what they got in reserve then there ######d... here's hoping.

It should of been 9 what with Stewart hittting the post 2 or 3 times and the sags keeper got lucky with a thunderbolt from Williams it really should of been 9 or 10 nil.

What really really shone out for me this evening was Scotty Brown.. Setting up 2 of the goals Stewarts and Murrays and scoring the goal of the evening, and almost losing his front teeth for it as well.

The first of his assits game from poor sag defence work, there defender was messing around with the ball and Scott put the preasure on robbing the ball at the edge of the box, he then went left of the penalty shot and the keeper rushed out, Scott looked up and saw Stewart in acres of space on his right and calmly passed it across for stewart to tap in to an empty net. class..

The second of his assists came with an amazing crossfield cross coming from the left wing just past the halfway line. A low hard cross met the head of Murray right on the edege of the D all murray had to do was flick the cross on it to the bottom right hand corner of the goal.. perfect.

Better things were still to come with Brown picking up the ball just out side the box on the left hand side, a little burst of speed and a rifel of a shot went straight in the right hand side of the goal, not even moses could of saved that.. Scott didnt get a chace to celebrate it though as the ***** gas ***** decided to whack him in the gob good un proper on the way down from his shot..

Ill tell you won thing, our left back last night Slocombe looked like a quality player. Defending brilliantly and linking up and overlapping with Brown well all of the time. If he keeps playing like that he could knock Woody out the starting line up.

Jennison Willams looked fast as **** again, running past the sags with ease and was unlucky not to have a hat-trick himself last night, he just needs to work on some of his finishing..

Stewart looked class, showing poise and finnese whenevre he got the ball. Still think he could do a job for us this season.

The main reason for this post is that anyone who went last night would of seen Scott Browns class.. He was put out on the left wing, and instead of sulking he upped his game and was the star player.

Gary Johnson must start to use him in the team. Its what we need... Get him in there..

The main reason for this post is that anyone who went last night would of seen Scott Browns class.. He was put out on the left wing, and instead of sulking he upped his game and was the star player.

Gary Johnson must start to use him in the team. Its what we need... Get him in there..

What I saw last night was an excellent team performance against an abject, very young and laughably poor gas side.

Scott Brown did play well, against poor opposition. Therefore I can't see how that makes him 'class' and why he should be in the first team?

I thought he actually hit many wayward passes last night that mostly ended up in Scott Shearers gloves.

The problem with Brown is that he's a lose cannon, he's regularly out of position and isn't as composed as Skuse, Russell, Noble or indeed Artus based on last night.

Out of interest where would you start him?

Depends what formation we would be playing..

idealy as the holding midfielder as he comes in to his own in this posistion, but I cant see Johnson changing the center 2.. ( well I can see Skuse will be out of the centre and Johnson will be in there Saturday Mark my words)

Anyway with the currant formation and team id put him on left midfield. just so that he is in the team iteself. if you watch Murray and Cotts on the left they wander just as much as Brown does when he is on the left. least brown can get back and tackle as we saw last night

For me Scott Brown has the passion we need in midfield - he isn't afraid to get stuck in and actually make a challenge. Too many people forget that football is a contact sport!!!!

i would like to see Scott play alongside Noble - after watching saturday's game, skuse did nothing for me - forgot he was even playing in the first half.

I agree that Artis had an amazing game last night and will be a brilliant player.

For me Scott Brown has the passion we need in midfield - he isn't afraid to get stuck in and actually make a challenge. Too many people forget that football is a contact sport!!!!

And most of them are FIFA, UEFA and FA officials or matchday referees. Players like Scott are finding it harder and harder to play their natural game. In the game of 20+ years ago I've no doubt Scott would be ahead of Cole in most managers plans. However Cole Skuse is the modern day midfielder, stays on his feet, only committing to the tackle when he is certain he will win it.

I'm not sure I like it, but that is the game these days...

personally I think Brown is fantastic, he is like a fit Tommy D, 100% committed everytime he plays can get forward and defend in equal measures and isn't afraid to get stuck in when needed.

You know with Scott you are going to get a performance as if his life depends on it, he was one of the few players as well from Tinnions reign of Terror last season to actually get any credit, unfortunately though I think the nightclub incident has totally played against him.

The signing of Lee Johnson as well who is a very similar player could spell the end for Brown though, personally I really do hope that is not the case

Scotty Brown aint afraid to have a dig either. We really should be shooting from longer range alot

more than we do.

This young fella has bite in the tackle, passing is good, takes a quality corner and shoots when the chance arises.

Give him a proper go and get him in the 1st team!

Guest DrFaustus

Well what can I say...

Went down last night to see the lads play and saw some of the best football I have seen at Ashton Gate in years..

6-0 and the quality of how the goals were scored stuck out like a sore thumb..

The sags threw nothing up in terms of defence and if any of thier first team players are injured and thats what they got in reserve then there ######d... here's hoping.

It should of been 9 what with Stewart hittting the post 2 or 3 times and the sags keeper got lucky with a thunderbolt from Williams it really should of been 9 or 10 nil.

Apart from that, it was close then? :D

Thing is with Scotty, his versatility seems to be working against him. I would say that he is the best left sided midfield player we've got for those away matches where Murray/Cotts/and last season Wilkshire dissapeared. Wherever he plays you know he'll be getting stuck in. But he doesn't have a guarenteed start because there are more effective wingers when we're at home. Same applies in the middle. His enthusiasm makes him a perfect sub and raises questions as to where his best position is (presumably holding role?)

Similarily, in the centre, we have the options of Skuse, Nobel, Russell and Johnson. Skuse (great lad) is still lightweight and still seems to be finding himself as the holding midfielder. Nobel, Russell and Johnson are in the attacking going forward mold (which Scott seems to be good at too!). So from my reckoning (which is if you play with a holding midfielder and an attacking one) - it's a throw up between Skuse and Brown for the holding role, and Nobel, Russell and Johnson for that attacking role. And with claims of nepotism going round, it sounds like the best pairing (for home games at least) would be Brown and Johnson?!?!?

What I saw last night was an excellent team performance against an abject, very young and laughably poor gas side.

Scott Brown did play well, against poor opposition. Therefore I can't see how that makes him 'class' and why he should be in the first team?

I thought he actually hit many wayward passes last night that mostly ended up in Scott Shearers gloves.

The problem with Brown is that he's a lose cannon, he's regularly out of position and isn't as composed as Skuse, Russell, Noble or indeed Artus based on last night.

Out of interest where would you start him?

regularly out of position? what? if brown is regularly out of position then cottrill is still running around ashton

park trying to take on the pigeons :rolleyes:

being a lose cannon can help, tommy doc was and was a thorn

in anyones side when in midfield and teams feared him, has skuse got that?? no,

and thats what were missing some bite, lets hope johnson jr can do it but browner should be in the squad.

sometimes football is a simple game and at times best played simple,

take wilksi's said about brown squaring the ball for a tap in for stewart, now if that was

cottrill he would want to try and beat the keeper, the goal net and even the crown in the stand,

leaving brooker standing there screeming for the simple pass, and that been our problem in

the first team.

play a team game, play it simple, get goals, rovers were not great but if your a good side you

still have to beat what you play against....

we have over bought as a club with players without looking at what we have already got

which is a shame, now scott brown would walk in to any side in our league just ask john ward :shifty:

we got that tommy doc , burnell thing again in our team where 2 of the same just don't work but this time

it's play makers instead of ball winners, problem is there ain't much play making going on.

we have over bought as a club with players without looking at what we have already got

which is a shame, now scott brown would walk in to any side in our league just ask john ward :shifty:

But John Ward's Scott Brown is a goalie. Now wonderful as our Scott Brown may be I think he is too short to play in goal.

And most of them are FIFA, UEFA and FA officials or matchday referees. Players like Scott are finding it harder and harder to play their natural game. In the game of 20+ years ago I've no doubt Scott would be ahead of Cole in most managers plans. However Cole Skuse is the modern day midfielder, stays on his feet, only committing to the tackle when he is certain he will win it.

I'm not sure I like it, but that is the game these days...

i think you mean stays on his feet without making a tackle?

didn't see much of him vs hudderfield as they took the pee in midfield

brooker was in there doing the hard stuff, everything bar his own job

as the midfield just wasn't getting him the ball, people slag brooker off

for not scoring goals, looking tired, just look at the other work he is doing

because others are not.

But John Ward's Scott Brown is a goalie. Now wonderful as our Scott Brown may be I think he is too short to play in goal.

tiz true too small to play in goal,

but i hear he is likeing our browner out field player and who can blame him

a quality manager who knows his stuff is wardy :shifty:

Not wishing to rain on anyones parade, but we had a side with several genuine first team players-Stewart-Murray-Brown-Russell........wonder why McCombe didn't play because he can't be match fit??.......stuff a bunch of second rate kids.

That side would probably give Rovers first team a game at least and, without wishing to be Norman Negative here, it highlights something to me about City.

Last year I posted something along the lines of City fielding two teams of almost equal strength and I can't decide if that makes us weak or strong :dunno:

Not wishing to rain on anyones parade, but we had a side with several genuine first team players-Stewart-Murray-Brown-Russell........wonder why McCombe didn't play because he can't be match fit??.......stuff a bunch of second rate kids.

That side would probably give Rovers first team a game at least and, without wishing to be Norman Negative here, it highlights something to me about City.

Last year I posted something along the lines of City fielding two teams of almost equal strength and I can't decide if that makes us weak or strong :dunno:

it's a catch 22 beat a so called bunch of 2nd rate kids and i't just that:

'oh they beat bunch of second rate kids'

get beat or draw or win 1-0 then it's over paid city wasters struggling, they can't win,

fact is they did there job and did it well, you beat what you get put in front of you

and if you can do it by taking the pee then all the better.

remember everyone moaning when England struggled to beat trinadad and co

it was over paid wasters doing nothing, against nobodys but if they beat them 10

- 0 it would be oh well they ain't played anyone any good yet that's expected.

i think you mean stays on his feet without making a tackle?

No I mean what I said - he'll tackle if it is there to be won.

didn't see much of him vs hudderfield as they took the pee in midfield

brooker was in there doing the hard stuff, everything bar his own job

as the midfield just wasn't getting him the ball, people slag brooker off

for not scoring goals, looking tired, just look at the other work he is doing

because others are not.

I didn't see Huddersfield take the pee in midfield at all. Where they caused us problems was down the wings where their fullbacks and strikers would often be in support of the winger. They very rarely came through the middle of us through midfield.

The most disappointing thing about the first goal we conceded was that we had closed them down well and pushed them back to the centre back on the half way line. We then didn't deal with a simple long ball launched up to the edge of the box. This completely bypassed the midfield who had done their job in closing down and pushing Huddersfield back to what shouldn't have been a dangerous area.

The other problem we had was when we did win the ball at the back or in midfield we couldn't retain possession as Murray and McAllister were too deep to receive the ball. I wanted to see one of the strikers being replaced by Cotterill or Showumni with the instruction of getting into the space behind the fullback on the break as Brooker and Jevons were both coming deep and adding to the lack of options for a pass from midfield.

And I really hope Brooker gets a goal against Blackpool so people stop making excuses for him. He had a bad game, it happens.

Several questions can be asked about last-night's lineup - why no Johnson, McCombe or McAllister, why was Murray playing? If you work on the principle that all those who didn't play are playing on Saturday and those that played are on the bench at best then you might just be seeing your 3-5-2.

But I doubt it :)

No I mean what I said - he'll tackle if it is there to be won.

I didn't see Huddersfield take the pee in midfield at all. Where they caused us problems was down the wings where their fullbacks and strikers would often be in support of the winger. They very rarely came through the middle of us through midfield.

The most disappointing thing about the first goal we conceded was that we had closed them down well and pushed them back to the centre back on the half way line. We then didn't deal with a simple long ball launched up to the edge of the box. This completely bypassed the midfield who had done their job in closing down and pushing Huddersfield back to what shouldn't have been a dangerous area.

The other problem we had was when we did win the ball at the back or in midfield we couldn't retain possession as Murray and McAllister were too deep to receive the ball. I wanted to see one of the strikers being replaced by Cotterill or Showumni with the instruction of getting into the space behind the fullback on the break as Brooker and Jevons were both coming deep and adding to the lack of options for a pass from midfield.

And I really hope Brooker gets a goal against Blackpool so people stop making excuses for him. He had a bad game, it happens.

we were on the back foot and had much pressure put on the back four due to the lack of ball winning in midfield and our drifting flanks, the thing with murray to deep is he has no support from the back full backs

and when he plays on the left woodman gets a nose bleed going over the half way line, woodman can cause our own problems at times he cuts the ball inside to a crowded midfield when all he has to do it give it to murray and then run behined him for the over lap, simple football but we don't do it, huddersfield seen this

and exposed us and pushed us back.

Ah, but you weren't there :devil:

It was in fact a joy to watch the WAY we played more than anything. The way the kids knocked it about, Williams excellent close control and pace. To score 6 goals and hit the post 3 times against almost any opposition is pretty good going.

I wasn't especially impressed with any of the 4 first teamers you mentioned it was more about Artus, Wring, Lamb and Williams for me who all did brilliantly and looked a cut above their gas counterparts.

It was in fact a joy to watch the WAY we played more than anything. The way the kids knocked it about, Williams excellent close control and pace. To score 6 goals and hit the post 3 times against almost any opposition is pretty good going.

I wasn't especially impressed with any of the 4 first teamers you mentioned it was more about Artus, Wring, Lamb and Williams for me who all did brilliantly and looked a cut above their gas counterparts.

spot on, it's the way we played and the way we won the game :chant6ez:

How can you say you werent impressed with the first teamers??

Fact, brown set up 2 and scored the goal of the evening.. That has to impress no matter what the game is.

He done his job and done it extremly well.

Fact, brown set up 2 and scored the goal of the evening.. That has to impress no matter what the game is.

For me Brown has earned his place in the first team for Saturday. Give him ago and make him play to keep his place. We won't regret it.

Scotty Brown aint afraid to have a dig either. We really should be shooting from longer range alot

more than we do.

This young fella has bite in the tackle, passing is good, takes a quality corner and shoots when the chance arises.

Give him a proper go and get him in the 1st team!

Scott Brown was exactly the type of player needed on Saturday to get stuck in just as the Huddersfield midfield got stuck into Jevons when they realised he was our main threat. Scotty Brown is the nearest player we have these days to the players in BCFC's 1970's halcyon days - players like Gerry Gow and Norman Hunter. :farmer:

As malaggro rightly states - give Scott Brown a go in the first team. :whistle:

Sorry but what standard would you rate that Rovers reserve side last night? We're talking comfortably below Conference standard, we're probably talking Taunton Town standard in fact.

The 4 'first team lads' did nothing more than exactly what I'd expect of them against such a standard of opposition.

The other youngsters I was more impressed with as they still have a couple of years to go before they're likely to make the first team and they all did very well and looked like they had oodles of potential.

Scott Brown was also lucky last night that he was up against the haplessly slow Paul Trollope in midfield.

Sorry but what standard would you rate that Rovers reserve side last night? We're talking comfortably below Conference standard, we're probably talking Taunton Town standard in fact.

The 4 'first team lads' did nothing more than exactly what I'd expect of them against such a standard of opposition.

The other youngsters I was more impressed with as they still have a couple of years to go before they're likely to make the first team and they all did very well and looked like they had oodles of potential.

Scott Brown was also lucky last night that he was up against the haplessly slow Paul Trollope in midfield.

Ah right, I thought Brown played left wing the other night, not centre midfield.......

Must of been watching a differnt game...

Archived