IGNORED

Today's Formation

Dastardly and Muttley

To me the biggest mistake today was the formation, the players looked as if they had no clue about what role they were playing, and there were huge gaps between the midfield and strikers, which allowed Blackpool the space they needed to dominate midfield and the game.

I can't agree with people who have slated Lee Johnson today, for me he was one of three or four to come out of the game with credit, although he was playing 10 to 15 yards too deep to have a real effect on the game. It doesn't look like Noble and Johnson will be able to play together, particularly away from home as they both lack a physical presence, and I think GJ needs to decide which one to pick and play them alongside Skuse/Russell/Brown in the centre of the midfield.

Showunmi today looked very good, winning almost every header in the first half and looking threatening when he had the ball, as well as a good finish for his goal.

Brooker was poor, but is still getting chances. One of these will go in for him soon, and then hopefully he'll return to his best. It was the wrong game for Williams to come into, Blackpool were too big and strong at the back, and he was never going to be able to make a real impact.

All in all, it was a tactically inept performance, leaving the players confused about whether they were 4-3-3, or 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and if GJ wants to play this way at home against "weaker" teams, then surely pre-season should have been used to get the players used to this way of playing. My thinking is that we're in League One, we should keep it simple and play 4-4-2. GJ should decide his best eleven for the Cheltenham game and stick with them for 3 or 4 games, playing the same way and watch the results come.

The squad we have is good enough if not flawless, but they need to be happy with the formation and style that they play with, and should be given time to allow partnerships to develop.

Archived