IGNORED

I Think Some Of You Owe Robbored An Apology

Frank Reynolds

What he said was undoubtedly a bit of a kneejerk reaction, and born out of alot of frustration but it was his opinion.

He was shouted down by the vast majority of people. I said at the time that while he went over the top (which I think he would admit) but that he wasn't exactly wrong. I have always had my reservations about GJ. When we went on the losing run, I was concerned because he seemed to have no answer, and I wasn't sure that his heavy handed approach was what was needed.

When we went on our great run, I wanted a bit of perspective. It was a great run, but it came after a spectacular run. Spectacularly bad, that is. I was worried about that inconsistency, from one extreme to the other. People listed Yeovil as an example, and that was one hell of an achievement. But what else did we know other than he had gotten a couple of promotions (and people like Dave Bassett have achieved that too!), in terms of tactics, his philosophy on nepotism and others?

GJ still needs time to prove what he can do, but please people stop being so melodramatic. You can't one minute berate Robbored for having concerns over a manager that hasn't proved himself, and then the next agree and go even further over the top. Keep in mind your reservations, and I have plenty, but also give the guy credit where its due, because he has good qualities too!

The season is young, and we may get an upturn in fortunes. If we don't then it may be time to readress the balance, but then again can we afford to. Can we afford to gamble again on a manager, or have we really come as far as we're meant to? Are we a team with massive delusions of grandeur? Is Gary Johnson the best we can get. We've all had the debate about the quality of our players, and if they had better qualities they'd be playing at a higher level. Surely the same applies to managers? If GJ was more tactically aware, then would he be a Prem manager? Or if he was less of a cheeky cockney chappy, would he be the conference manager that Robbored (some might say fairly) considers him to be?

I seem to have come full circle, I don't actually know what my intentions for this thread were. How pointless. :rolleyes::w00t:

I have always had reservations about GJ, he seems to like being the Biggest Name at the Club, hence the reason I think that he is better at a smaller Club. As regards Yeovil, look at their record prior to his appointment, they had been a top six Conference Club for a few years, had decent crowds, so it was not like getting Accrington Stanley into the League. Once in the League, just look at the number of promoted teams who then go up to Division 3 in their first two years and you will notice that quite a number of them do, particularly the League first-timers.

Archived