IGNORED

Big Improvements

Godzilla

Thanks for that Godzilla, a real pick-me-up. Reading the forum I thought that we were as bad tonight as Saturday but it doesn't appear so.

I saw enough of Johnson on Saturday to see he has a good brain and quick feet and I think the best of him is to come without any doubt. He will benefit from guaranteed first team football - I hope that can be offered to a good number of his team mates as I'm sure we have enough good players to challenge in this division.

I worry about Carey and Fontaine. They seem slow and flat - Carey has four bookings in five games.

:city:

• Admin

Thanks for that Godzilla, a real pick-me-up. Reading the forum I thought that we were as bad tonight as Saturday but it doesn't appear so.

I saw enough of Johnson on Saturday to see he has a good brain and quick feet and I think the best of him is to come without any doubt. He will benefit from guaranteed first team football - I hope that can be offered to a good number of his team mates as I'm sure we have enough good players to challenge in this division.

I worry about Carey and Fontaine. They seem slow and flat - Carey has four bookings in five games.

:city:

I wonder how much of our current defensive "frailty" is down to the back four having little to no confidence in the man behind them?

Confidence can make a hell of a lot of difference to the performance standards of players in this division and it is my belief that our back four as a unit will perform considerably better once Weale takes his place between the sticks in November.

Reading between the lines, it would appear that GJ is starting to lose faith in Basso too now (or at least accepting that Basso's confidence is at a low ebb) and I can only pray that whoever the new loan goalie turns out to be, they are good enough to start in the first team.

That may be the answer Madger but on Saturday in the first half alone Carey and Fontaine were caught out with three hopeful pops over the top leaving Basso one on one.Difficult to blame Basso for that. Funny though that Carey and Fontaine looked unbeatable last season - I hope you are right. Don't be surprised if someone else is in goal next Tuesday.

Apparentl Phillips had rave reviews tonight - still think of him as a City player?????

I wonder how much of our current defensive "frailty" is down to the back four having little to no confidence in the man behind them?

Confidence can make a hell of a lot of difference to the performance standards of players in this division and it is my belief that our back four as a unit will perform considerably better once Weale takes his place between the sticks in November.

Reading between the lines, it would appear that GJ is starting to lose faith in Basso too now (or at least accepting that Basso's confidence is at a low ebb) and I can only pray that whoever the new loan goalie turns out to be, they are good enough to start in the first team.

i think your quite right. i'm not one of the Basso lynch-mob but think he is most probably out of his depth at this point. last season he began playing in a side which could really go little lower in terms of confidence and drive, and his positive attitude at that time sood out and probably helped the defenders in front of him perform with more freedom and purpose. i definatly think the carey/fontaine partnership was helped by this factor. it was less about his ability then but his frame of mind, so his mistakes were less prominat cause we wee used to it being prett bad anyway. to his credit he has been pretty impressive on occasions, particularly at yeovil and MKdons last term. now we require a touch more consistancy because of the pressure of a promotion push, so maybe his time is up. doesn't make it ok to call the guy a clown or get nasty about him though, that just makes people look like the igonrant little children they are/might as well be.

i think your quite right. i'm not one of the Basso lynch-mob but think he is most probably out of his depth at this point. last season he began playing in a side which could really go little lower in terms of confidence and drive, and his positive attitude at that time sood out and probably helped the defenders in front of him perform with more freedom and purpose. i definatly think the carey/fontaine partnership was helped by this factor. it was less about his ability then but his frame of mind, so his mistakes were less prominat cause we wee used to it being prett bad anyway. to his credit he has been pretty impressive on occasions, particularly at yeovil and MKdons last term. now we require a touch more consistancy because of the pressure of a promotion push, so maybe his time is up. doesn't make it ok to call the guy a clown or get nasty about him though, that just makes people look like the igonrant little children they are/might as well be.

Sure - he drops the odd clanger but doesn't do what Phillips did and keep us in games with a few great saves. Goalkeepers mature late and falling out with Phillips was a pity. Let's hope Basso runs into a bit of form - I think there is still enough support to give him some encouragement at Northampton.

That may be the answer Madger but on Saturday in the first half alone Carey and Fontaine were caught out with three hopeful pops over the top leaving Basso one on one.Difficult to blame Basso for that. Funny though that Carey and Fontaine looked unbeatable last season - I hope you are right. Don't be surprised if someone else is in goal next Tuesday.

Apparentl Phillips had rave reviews tonight - still think of him as a City player?????

philips did a couple of belting saves tonight :chant6ez: , and when we scored did a nice celebration showing REAL passion

your right hell always be city in my eyes but for now thanks very much for him :D

Well done guys a decent thread to read. A postive well written report from Godizzla followed up by some sensible debate and comment about goal keepers with any hysterics!

Its good to see the quality that can emerge on this forum when the children have gone to bed. - Well done guys.

All I can say is we must of been bad on Saturday if that was better.

We were very lucky not to come away with a right hammering. Everytime Chelt went forward they looked like they would score and it was only luck they didnt on many occaisions.

"Big improvements" and a lot more required if we are to do anything this year. :dunno:

If you are refferring to Andy Sandell as non league trash then I can honestly say he is a lot better than alot of players at this club commitment wise. However, his antics off the pitch on a Saturday night are not those that should be typical of a professional footballer.

All I can say is we must of been bad on Saturday if that was better.

We were very lucky not to come away with a right hammering. Everytime Chelt went forward they looked like they would score and it was only luck they didnt on many occaisions.

"Big improvements" and a lot more required if we are to do anything this year. :dunno:

I'm not sure what game you were watching. I've seen us play a lot worse than that and win games fairly comfortably. I give credit to Cheltenham, they were organised at the back and were well prepared for the pressure we duely put them under at the end.

With the pace they had upfront, they were always going to be a threat on the break as we piled forward in that second half. After all, it's cup football! The team performance throughout was decent. Even in the opening 30 minutes, to be 2-0 down was an unfair reflection on the game, particularly considering Scott Murray had already fluffed the games best chance.

Stupid individual errors cost us tonight; whereas it was our completely spineless and gutless performance that cost us on Saturday.

Archived