IGNORED

Squad Rotation?

edson

On Saturday, against Sheffield Wednesday, Hill came off and was replaced by Woodman at left back. Wilkshire came off from the right hand side (I won't say 'wing' for fear of sparking a different debate) and was replaced by Roberts.

Four days later, against Wycombe, Bell started at left back and Goodfellow started on the right.

Now, I'm all for rotating the squad, if it is to the benefit of the team. Indeed, I think our squad, and the fact we have cover in most positions, is a big part of why we have promotion credentials. However, I am worried that we risk falling between numerous stools and that the manager is ending up being spoilt for choice.

We are reaching the closing stages of the season, and it seems that Danny Wilson still doesn't know his best starting XI.

Is it possible that the options he has are not totally beneficial and are they, in fact, blurring his judgement of who should be in the starting line up when everyone is available?

• Admin

You need to ask? Even when winning those 11 games in a row those of us who suggested using different players were told "if it's not broke, don't fix it". However, Wilson didn't follow their advice.

I'd love to see Lita paired with Miller again, even if only for 10 mins at the end of a game. It looked like it was working against QPR at Loftus Road last year but we haven't seen it since, anyone know why? :rolleyes:

On Saturday, against Sheffield Wednesday, Hill came off and was replaced by Woodman at left back. Wilkshire came off from the right hand side (I won't say 'wing' for fear of sparking a different debate) and was replaced by Roberts.

Four days later, against Wycombe, Bell started at left back and Goodfellow started on the right.

Now, I'm all for rotating the squad, if it is to the benefit of the team. Indeed, I think our squad, and the fact we have cover in most positions, is a big part of why we have promotion credentials. However, I am worried that we risk falling between numerous stools and that the manager is ending up being spoilt for choice.

We are reaching the closing stages of the season, and it seems that Danny Wilson still doesn't know his best starting XI.

Is it possible that the options he has are not totally beneficial and are they, in fact, blurring his judgement of who should be in the starting line up when everyone is available?

How can you criticise a manager who

has bought two right sided midfielders and is needing a third.

continues playing the bludgeon of the Miller/Peacock partnership when it fails to supply goals.

apparently refuses to consider starting the player who top scored during the 11 match run despite being on the pitch less than 150 minutes.

Just accept it. Put your brain into neutral, Wilson is above criticism

Just accept it. Put your brain into neutral, Wilson is above criticism

Harsh!

Danny is certainly not above criticism, and would agree with many of the comments, but surely we adapt our line up and tactics according to who we are playing?? Therefore you would expect some changes even if we are on a winning run. And when that run ends, maybe a few more changes??? Add injuries and suspensions to that, I'm not sure I understand the original post - just me being dim no doubt :rolleyes:

I think I understand it Edson, however you have only given one possible reading of the situation.

It could also be that DW is in the enviable position of being able to replace players who's performance slips below the standard he expects.

The other point is that we have a limited knowledge of what happens behinfd the scenes. For example, Matt Hill might be seen as vital enough to play even when not 100% whereas Woodman may not. Or a player may be dropped for not following specifc instructions no matter how well the crowd thinks they played.

I think you have a very valid point but in support of DW, I wonder judging by this forum if anybody (except me of course) :rolleyes: DOES know our best 11?

It could also be that DW is in the enviable position of being able to replace players who's performance slips below the standard he expects.

So why is Peacock still playing, having not scored for some time now, does that not mean his performance has slipped?

As said previous, DW has got a team putting in a winning streak, but it's the metal he shows now that really shows if he can gel the best 11.

Easy, when team is winning, but we don't have the luxury of waiting another 5/6 games to find the best 11 again. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with Edson here, and have thought on many occasions that DW struggles with a team, when we tend to be up against it.

I think I understand it Edson, however you have only given one possible reading of the situation.

Thank God. Perhaps you could explain it to me

I agree, to an extent, but I wonder if there is a point when it becomes tinkering for tinkering's sake, rather than tackling the real problems within the team.

To my mind (and I don't think I'm alone on this one) Miller deserves to at least stay on the pitch when he is playing better than Peacock (Grimsby away and last night, being two examples where that was arguably the case). In fact, I would go so far as to say, we need goals, so surely it's time to pair Miller with Roberts or Lita, both of which have looked potent combinations when we've seen them in action.

Similarly, I would argue that Aaron's performances have slipped and, with a natural left winger like Goodfellow within the squad, that is a change that I doubt would be met with much criticism.

The example I cited, of Roberts and Wilkshire playing on the right on Saturday, only to be replaced by Goodfellow on the following Tuesday, to me, smacks of a manager who has too much choice and can't decide what to do for the best, as opposed to someone who is enjoying an enviable position.

The other point is that we have a limited knowledge of what happens behinfd the scenes. For example, Matt Hill might be seen as vital enough to play even when not 100% whereas Woodman may not. Or a player may be dropped for not following specifc instructions no matter how well the crowd thinks they played.

Yes, you're right, there will be things going on behind the scenes that will affect selections, that we know nothing about, I accept that.

I think you have a very valid point but in support of DW, I wonder judging by this forum if anybody (except me of course) :rolleyes: DOES know our best 11?

Pay me £200k a year and I'll work it out for you!

Pay me £200k a year and I'll work it out for you!

There are many out there who do get paid that and more and can't, if I had it and it was up to me........... I would think about it........you could at least submit your CV.. :P

As for the example's you cite, again the alternative argument could be (not necessarily mine, mind you) that Peacock and Brown have been very useful in making us look so strong defensively, an area that Goodfellow is lacking for sure. I agree that it's not their primary role in the team, but it has been very useful over the recent game's in particular.

PS. If you want me to explain any of your other postings, send them over and I will give them a once over (for a small fee of course) :rolleyes:

Archived