IGNORED

Why....

red man dan

I am worried....for a side that finished the second half of last season so well i am finding it hard to believe that we have started this season in such a poor fashion. Looking at the team we seem to have only improved the squad from last season (enoch is clearly better than Bas, Jevons on paper is a sound signing, Fontaine signed for good, Lee Johnson looks exciting etc etc). With all the talk of hitting the ground running and getting off to a flying start, i have to say i am lost for words. Before i ago any further, this is not a post to slate certain people, the manager or individual players without reason or evidnece so to speak. I just want to hear genuine reasons as to why this has happened. At Cheltenham the first half in my opinion was shambolick, we as a team were all over the place. The defence looked very vulnrable at all times, and Basso was unfortunatley far to unreliable, he is simply an accident waiting to happen (i actually feel sorry for him), this can not be good for the defense. We seemed lethargic moving forward with the ball and played at a far too slow a pace, to cause Cheltenham any problems. There seemed to be no industry in the centre, nowhere to go, either to the wings or through the middle and we lacked invention. When we scored however this totally changed, we started playing at a far greater pace, and cheltenham found this hard to deal with. The second half was a good display as far as i,m concerned, there still wasn,t a great deal of invention (we didnt create as such), but playing at that pace you will always cause teams problems, as they are on the back foot.

I did not see any of the games before, so i cannot say wether the cheltenham pefrormance was a typical display so far. However i am worried that if teams can stop us playing at a pace that suits our game, then we may have problems, again we don't seem to be able to battle things out.

But to those who have seen all the games so far this season, i just want to ask...Why have we gone wrong, why have we lost four in a row, is there one thing in particular, a consistent problem or is it a combination?

Knowone really expected 4 defeats out of 5, so what is the reason?

GJ tactics were wrong in the first half at Cheltenham, he got the wide players to cover for the midfield if they went forward which should be a central defender place to come forward and cover. The times Cheltenham took advantage of this and played the ball out to there wide men and who had empty space to run into, which also set up there first goal. At times they were too bunched up in the middle and should have been playing much wider, this would help there passing game more. To me wide men (wingers) should be covering there right or left back if they go on a run, same with the middle defenders and midfield covering each other. If the midfield is getting over run, one of the front two dropping back. But there again i don't get paid £xxxxx to have some knowledge of the game i learnt as a school boy!!!

GJ tactics were wrong in the first half at Cheltenham, he got the wide players to cover for the midfield if they went forward which should be a central defender place to come forward and cover. The times Cheltenham took advantage of this and played the ball out to there wide men and who had empty space to run into, which also set up there first goal. At times they were too bunched up in the middle and should have been playing much wider, this would help there passing game more. To me wide men (wingers) should be covering there right or left back if they go on a run, same with the middle defenders and midfield covering each other. If the midfield is getting over run, one of the front two dropping back. But there again i don't get paid £xxxxx to have some knowledge of the game i learnt as a school boy!!!

A bit harsh, as we were a man down due to McAllister's injury. Cotterill went from RW To LB(!), a striker didn't fill in in midfield so Keogh was left 2 on 1 on the right.

A bit harsh, as we were a man down due to McAllister's injury. Cotterill went from RW To LB(!), a striker didn't fill in in midfield so Keogh was left 2 on 1 on the right.

I don't think it's harsh you spread the midfield to help cover the gap or even go quickly to 3 5 1 until the defender is back on. where as the striker did not fill the gap it is down to the manager or even the captain to alter it.

I don't think it's harsh you spread the midfield to help cover the gap or even go quickly to 3 5 1 until the defender is back on. where as the striker did not fill the gap it is down to the manager or even the captain to alter it.

My point was that it is harsh to use the first goal as an example of the overall tactics in the first half as dealing with going down to 10 men is a different issue.

I agree that the manager/captain/team should sort out either a 4-4-1 or 3-5-1 to deal with the loss of a fullback, but put not doing so down to a loss of focus on the pitch (like the quick free kick at Bradford) rather than faulty tactics. I'm sure Johnson and Millen coach both defending quick free kicks and playing with 10 men, but it is up to the players to react quickly when each situation arises.

My point was that it is harsh to use the first goal as an example of the overall tactics in the first half as dealing with going down to 10 men is a different issue.

I agree that the manager/captain/team should sort out either a 4-4-1 or 3-5-1 to deal with the loss of a fullback, but put not doing so down to a loss of focus on the pitch (like the quick free kick at Bradford) rather than faulty tactics. I'm sure Johnson and Millen coach both defending quick free kicks and playing with 10 men, but it is up to the players to react quickly when each situation arises.

See where your coming from SE, i was only using it as a tactical awareness which should have been picked up. But it was GJ tactics which got me asking "why" is it the wide men coming inside to cover,instead of the defence or forwards dropping back. But if this is the way GJ wants to play he will lose more than he will win.IMO

Archived