IGNORED

Midfied Problem Solved

42nite

With no left winger, we're stuck with Cotterill and Murray, straight forward so far?......The problem has been, the lack of a holding midfielder. Richard Keogh is the man! He will run and tackle all day, then give the ball to the 'playmaker' to do his job.

There is only room for 1 playmaker in a 4 man midfield, and my first choice would be Johnson, followed by Russell, Noble and Skuse in that order.

Cotterill Keogh Johnson Murray

Sorted.

Sorry have you ever watched a football match before

very harsh!.....but typical of this forum? like to hear your suggestion rather than just a pointless comment like that!

I can see the point he is getting at, personally I think in time Keogh could fill that role, but he is still too much of a rookie to do it at the moment. I see Johnson, Brown and Skuse as player more than capable of playing that role, with Noble and Russel more in the playmaker ish role

personally I'd go for Noble and Johnson in the middle, with Skuse and Russell as backup, which is annoying because I'm a big fan of Scott Brown but I can't see how he fits into the team

Thanks bh red. DOLMAN STAND did pounce on me a bit didn't he. (I wonder how GJ must feel?)

As stated in another post, that's probably why so many people are not bothering any more, the fear of being ridiculed for having an opinion.

Anyway, we do need a tackler in midfield.

agreed.

someone playing that selfless, ballwinning role (ie wholly unconcered with getting forward) would be ideal. at least until our form picks up i'd like to see Russel back doing the job. although i concede he is not always the best at doing this, and did look weak in the tackle at points last term, at least has enough years on him to not get caught out of position as much as the slightly younger players, such as Skuse and Brown.

I know it isn't a groudbreaking suggestion, but the main point being we need some one whos brief is JUST to tackle and break up attacks, rather than trying to play a balancing act between getting into the opposition box and guarding our own back four. the side CAN support both Nobel and LJ, but right now we need to stop leaking then we can look at playing more football. confidence needs to return first.

With no left winger, we're stuck with Cotterill and Murray, straight forward so far?......The problem has been, the lack of a holding midfielder. Richard Keogh is the man! He will run and tackle all day, then give the ball to the 'playmaker' to do his job.

There is only room for 1 playmaker in a 4 man midfield, and my first choice would be Johnson, followed by Russell, Noble and Skuse in that order.

Cotterill Keogh Johnson Murray

Sorted.

Interesting suggestion, but having already seen it tried once (In the Clevedon Town friendly pre-season), I really don't see it can work. And besides, with Russell and Skuse both more than capable of playing that role as arguably their best position, I don't see the need to play Keogh in there.

I think there is this myth (well, in my opinion it's a myth!) that a holding midfield player needs to be a hustler and bustler. Someone who is willing to put their foot in all the time and make tackles. However, to be successful in that position there are more important attributes that you need to possess. Positional awareness and discipline is essential. The reason why players like Skuse and Russell are actually so affective in the holding midfield role (at this level, anyway) is their awareness of what's around them. Both have an excellent engine, and if you can get close enough to your central midfield opponents when they're on the ball, and track them and stay tight to them when they're trying to create space off the ball, you're suffocating them from playing their game simply by putting them constantly under pressure, and without necessarily having to put in dozens of tackles. Some argue that our midfield don't score enough goals, but when Skuse and/or Russell have started, a central midfield player hasn't scored against us for around 14 games (by my reckoning!). I think a large part of that is down to the excellent work that Skuse and Russell do, without always being terribly obvious because they don't go throwing themselves into challenges every 30 seconds.

With this in mind, I'm not entirely convinced we even have a midfield problem, even with Johnson and Noble playing together. It's just a question of finding the best two to play there now, and quickly! I thought they did a good job on Tuesday night in helping us keep the ball well during the second half. For me, the jury is still out and I'd give them another couple of games together and see how it pans out. Although Noble has been very good for us since signing, the only thing that concerns me is his productivity. Although a good passer of the ball, I don't think he makes enough telling final passes to justify a role as the attacking midfield player. On the same token, he certainly doesn't get beyond the front two enough for me and thus far his goal scoring record for us has been poor. Undoubtedly, Noble is an excellent football player and very comfortable on the ball. At just 24 years old, he has time to improve and he has the footballing attributes to do just that. However, if Johnson continues to build on his performance last Tuesday, in the immeditate term it could well transpire that Johnson and Skuse/Russell will be our most successful central partnership. Perhaps next to a more defensive minded midfield player, Johnson will be able to express himself as a footballer even more so. Of course, that would be tough on Noble, and besides, just a couple of games ago I was singing his praises after a very decent start to the season on a personal level. Yet it's all about pushing that little bit further as individuals and as a team unit. After all, the best 11 players don't always make up your best team.

I believe you have indeed watch a football match before sir and indeed probably the same ones that I go to watch.

I said last season on Radio Bristol after the mauling by Southend at home where it seemed for the upteenth successive home match we conceeded goals from 30 + yards. That a holding / tough tackling midfielder was required. Gary Johnson appeared to agree in his subsequent post match interview, so it seems remarkable that we still do not have a player of that mold....but perhaps we do I think you are on to something Keogh could be the man.

Last Saturday illustrated yet again that we were totally overun by Blackpool and if this worrying start is to be stopped I think you suggestion needs to be experimented with. Especially when you are playing (quite rightly) with an attack minded midfield. The holding player enable the others to play with far more freedom and find space, something that appears to be lacking to date.

I cannot understand why Johnson broke up the Skuse/Noble partnership. Granted, we lost two of the first three games with that partnership but that was more to do with defensive/goalkeeping cock ups than the midfield.

Noble was our best player by a mile in those games and in my opinion that was due in large part to the leg work and tackling of Skuse freeing him up.

Last season we became a good side when Johnson stuck to a settled side. There have been too many changes, too soon.

I cannot understand why Johnson broke up the Skuse/Noble partnership. Granted, we lost two of the first three games with that partnership but that was more to do with defensive/goalkeeping cock ups than the midfield.

Noble was our best player by a mile in those games and in my opinion that was due in large part to the leg work and tackling of Skuse freeing him up.

Last season we became a good side when Johnson stuck to a settled side. There have been too many changes, too soon.

I agree totaly, the old saying, stick with what u know.

skuse with either johnson, noble and russel would be my c/m pairing

Thanks bh red. DOLMAN STAND did pounce on me a bit didn't he. (I wonder how GJ must feel?)

As stated in another post, that's probably why so many people are not bothering any more, the fear of being ridiculed for having an opinion.

everyone is entitled to an opinion dosent mean I have to agree with it, by saying we need a tackler in midfield and then putting forward a young centre-half (4th choice centre half at that!) to me is ridiculous why not suggest Carey or Fontaine. I for one can remember having a "tackler" in the shape of Bradley Orr playing midfield we all know how that one ended.

In my opinion our midfield should be

Cotterill....Noble....Johnson....Brown

with Skuse on the bench, this offers the creativity and forward play a good midfield needs and with Scott Browns energy and bite we should be covered defensively too.

everyone is entitled to an opinion dosent mean I have to agree with it, by saying we need a tackler in midfield and then putting forward a young centre-half (4th choice centre half at that!) to me is ridiculous why not suggest Carey or Fontaine. I for one can remember having a "tackler" in the shape of Bradley Orr playing midfield we all know how that one ended.

with Skuse on the bench, this offers the creativity and forward play a good midfield needs and with Scott Browns energy and bite we should be covered defensively too.

I think we need Skuse instead of Noble to allow Johnson to get forward and do some damage. Not sure what Scot Brown would give us - I think he's OK but.... just OK GJ managed to get the best out of Scot Murray last year on the left and he needs to get his form back quickly. Scot at his best would really be dangerous coming in from the left and capable of getting the ten goals we need from that position.

... and this issue is fundamental to the City problem.

Why have we got 5 'first team' soft touch midfielders who stitch the game together but none to win the ball?

Why have we got 4 'first team' soft touch forwards and none who can mix it and be a target man?

We've no fire or genuine aggression. I can remember saying this 4 seasons back on this Forum and nothings changed.

With the Manager we've got I can't believe we've reverted back to the 'nice chap' Wilson days.

I think Lee Johnson looks a decent player... but definately Russell, and probably Noble, can fill that role to the level that will get us out of this division - with the former actually scoring some goals from the middle of the park too.

Great deal of time for Gary Johnson but am getting a tadge worried!

I do not suggest Carey or Fontaine because they are at present the first choice centre halves, and are probably not suited to the role anyway. I don't think Bradley Orr is mobile or fast enough for a midfield job.

Keogh is sharp can run tackle and head. I think he would compliment Lee Johnson's style of play.

Ridiculous or not....That's my opinion.

Archived