IGNORED

At This Rate

Ben4BCFC

People start calling for GJ's head? With the amount of fickle fans there are at this club who, as I have seen, are constantly complaining about Johnsons signings, his choice of team, lack of keeper, relationship problems etc etc, but as soon as we do well they are all for praising him. To the people who are having/considering having a go at him now, if you remember rightly, he saved us last year, ok he had a run of 9 defeats, but he kept us off and just a whisker off play offs. He has helped turn this club around, and it's not just this year, every year we have bad starts, and to be honest the fans never seem to be happy with the team, but then if we had a perfect team then we wouldn't be in this league would we? So basically, what I am trying to say is that the fans need to stick with GJ and get behind him and the players. It's the only way to get out this struggle! So get behind the boys and get us into a run for a good successive season!!! :chant6ez:

If we lose the next few games there will be strong calls for GJ's head and with good justification. It's his team now, we have a nice big fat wage budget, and he's out of excuses. If we're languishing in the relegation zone 10 games in our season is more than likely over.

How does that make someone who feels that way fickle?

I think the frustration is that fans can see that we still don't have a proper left winger and the goalkeeper situation is a complete farce. Also the way that some of our so called better players are playing (ie: Brooker, Murray) is very worrying. Add this to the fact that as a unit we look a complete shambles and it is no wonder questions are being asked.

His target is 20 points after 10 games which means we need to win the next six to get 21! He plays Skuse wide on the right, he persists with Basso and hasn't had the foresight to get cover. He has failed with Bridges and Stewart and managed a record breaking nine game losing streak. Despite this criticism I am 100% behind him and the players and I think most of us are - doesn't mean we can't criticise or offer our own ideas.

GJ turned things around from the Bradford home game with a settled side and formation and has accepted deserved praise - can we go back there please???

:pray:

When it comes to being fickle there are a section of every clubs fans that that are transient - the package needs to be right both on and off the pitch to convert them to regular fans.

TomF will be doing his survey again after 5 games, only then will we were get a decent idea of what fans are thinking, at the moment what we are getting is the same dozen or so users shouting the loudest and stopping their feet, I feel most people on this forum actually do back johnson and are looking at the bigger picture and honestly believe in what GJ is doing.

after the Northampton hame we should get a better idea of what the majority actually think

If we lose the next few games there will be strong calls for GJ's head and with good justification. It's his team now, we have a nice big fat wage budget, and he's out of excuses. If we're languishing in the relegation zone 10 games in our season is more than likely over.

How does that make someone who feels that way fickle?

Nibor,

I usually agree with you, but calling for GJ's head ten games in would be fickle. We lost 9 games on the bounce last season and nearly made it to the playoffs. If we don't make it up this year, so what - we can have another go. I would rather get up there with GJ ethics of hard work and team spirit - as thats the way teams get out of this division.

What should be our first choice pairing (Showunmi & Jevons) need time to gel, Johnson and McAllister are finding their feet and Basso is off form.

...and with Basso in mind, I think we are one very very very important piece of the GJ jigsaw missing.

Nibor,

I usually agree with you, but calling for GJ's head ten games in would be fickle. We lost 9 games on the bounce last season and nearly made it to the playoffs.

No it wouldn't be fickle, it would be consistent. Anything below playoffs is unacceptable and if we lose the next few games we can pretty much count ourselves out. Failure to finish in the top 6 + atrocious start to next season = sacking, same as for Tinnion. Consistent. If we lose the next few games he'll have had plenty of time to show he can do the job and failed at it.

Losing 9 games on the bounce last season is not an excuse for failing this season! It was totally unacceptable then, and now that we've brought in the players GJ wanted it's doubly unacceptable now.

What should be our first choice pairing (Showunmi & Jevons) need time to gel, Johnson and McAllister are finding their feet and Basso is off form.

...and with Basso in mind, I think we are one very very very important piece of the GJ jigsaw missing.

Brooker should be the first choice striker, he might be slightly off form but he's a cut above the rest. Showunmi is a decent enough player but he's not half as good. Jevons looks like an in the hole player (pointless in a 442).

Replacing Phillips with Basso and signing a keeper who's crocked until November were both GJ decisions - so obviously he doesn't think there's a big piece missing because he was happy with it at the start of the season. Personally I think it was a stupid decision not to bring in a proper first choice keeper.

I'm not advocating sacking GJ, I'm just saying that if we continue this atrocious start to the season and write our chances off after 10 games it would be entirely understandable for people to feel that way and not fickle in the least.

No it wouldn't be fickle, it would be consistent. Anything below playoffs is unacceptable and if we lose the next few games we can pretty much count ourselves out. Failure to finish in the top 6 + atrocious start to next season = sacking, same as for Tinnion. Consistent. If we lose the next few games he'll have had plenty of time to show he can do the job and failed at it.

Losing 9 games on the bounce last season is not an excuse for failing this season! It was totally unacceptable then, and now that we've brought in the players GJ wanted it's doubly unacceptable now.

Finishing anything below the playoffs I agree, is unacceptable, but not being in the playoffs after 10 games and sackings is not consistent. Fans get caught up with the media hype and spin - and calling for a managers head is like chit chat on this board.

It could be argued that it is consistent with Tinnion yes, but thats just one manager. Brian sadly had nowhere to go. He had nothing left in the tank. He had the commitment and the ideas, but nothing paid off, he didnt know what to do and we were in deep trouble. Gary Johnson has since shown signs - to someone like me - who is outside of the club of turning this club around. I feel like we have our Bristol City back. The team that will fight till the final whistle.

...and I for one will give him more than ten games of this season before I write him off.

But hold on, why should we settle for just being in the top 6? Surely anything other than promotion is failure a 'la Danny Wilson? If you get sucked into the bcfc.co.uk hype, then maybe you might be sharpening your swords as I type, but hold on....

Arguably, the closest we have come to automatic promotion is 2004. 1 point behind QPR. We were 14th (5 points) after four games in that season. Playoff final year - 14th (5 points) after 4 games again.

Ok, so we are 2 points off from these totals at the same point, but with the new players coming in especially Weale I am confident we will be there or there abouts.

Brooker should be the first choice striker, he might be slightly off form but he's a cut above the rest. Showunmi is a decent enough player but he's not half as good. Jevons looks like an in the hole player (pointless in a 442).

I agree, in the long run. But Brooker needs a rest in order to realise that he doesnt just have to turn up to get given the captains armband or be the first name on the teamsheet.

Replacing Phillips with Basso and signing a keeper who's crocked until November were both GJ decisions - so obviously he doesn't think there's a big piece missing because he was happy with it at the start of the season. Personally I think it was a stupid decision not to bring in a proper first choice keeper.

Philips had to go, end of. Without knowing who GJ had as targets, how close he got to signing quality keepers, none of us will ever know. I am a huge Basso fan, but I didnt expect him to hit this bad a run of form. And as a goalkeeper, the mistakes you make are magnified by a 100 times.

I will wait to see what happens after the Northampton game and judge the player after a few games.

But you are right, the situation with the goalkeeper is a huge mistake.

I'm not advocating sacking GJ, I'm just saying that if we continue this atrocious start to the season and write our chances off after 10 games it would be entirely understandable for people to feel that way and not fickle in the least.

Thats fair enough if they feel that way. However, what they must understand is that we are (gradually & honestly) moving in the right direction. The end of the season will show this.

I think what people like me - and other posters who did not consider Johnson a "Messiah" and are unconvinced by Johnson's performance so far - feel is that it's not just 4 games at all.

Yes, we had a strong finish that took us to the verge of the playoffs, but the team was as unconvincing then as they are now.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that the team he has assembled this season, with the players he's brought in, have produced performances that were any better than last season? Would you bet, right now, that City WON'T go on another losing streak like the one we saw last season?

It seems to me, that although it's quite possible for City to go on a good run, that it's just as possible that they'll go on a bad one. Is that a good thing or not? You decide.

I simply get fed up with "giving them time" to "allowing them to gel" or "find their form" or "sort it out" or "get the rub of the green". Johnson's had FIVE pre-season weeks to decide what his strongest team is and what the general gameplan and formation will be. Have we seen anything consistent yet? No.

Yes, we're notoriously slow starters, but why? Has it changed now that Johnson's in charge? No - why not? It's about time Johnson started delivering. No more excuses.

Have any of those who advocate so much patience ever considered that they might be contributing to the banal indifference of this club to its fans?

Lansdown's incompetence at moving this club forward in the FOUR years he's held the reins is there for all to see. He asked to be judged on Tinnion - he was. He'll also be judged on Johnson - and at the moment it's not looking too clever, is it?

Cynical? Damn right.

:ranting:

I think what people like me - and other posters who did not consider Johnson a "Messiah" and are unconvinced by Johnson's performance so far - feel is that it's not just 4 games at all.

Yes, we had a strong finish that took us to the verge of the playoffs, but the team was as unconvincing then as they are now.

Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that the team he has assembled this season, with the players he's brought in, have produced performances that were any better than last season? Would you bet, right now, that City WON'T go on another losing streak like the one we saw last season?

It seems to me, that although it's quite possible for City to go on a good run, that it's just as possible that they'll go on a bad one. Is that a good thing or not? You decide.

I simply get fed up with "giving them time" to "allowing them to gel" or "find their form" or "sort it out" or "get the rub of the green". Johnson's had FIVE pre-season weeks to decide what his strongest team is and what the general gameplan and formation will be. Have we seen anything consistent yet? No.

Yes, we're notoriously slow starters, but why? Has it changed now that Johnson's in charge? No - why not? It's about time Johnson started delivering. No more excuses.

Have any of those who advocate so much patience ever considered that they might be contributing to the banal indifference of this club to its fans?

Lansdown's incompetence at moving this club forward in the FOUR years he's held the reins is there for all to see. He asked to be judged on Tinnion - he was. He'll also be judged on Johnson - and at the moment it's not looking too clever, is it?

Cynical? Damn right.

:ranting:

But hold on, Weale isnt fit, Mcallister and Johnson came in at the last moment - it all adds up. As for being slow starters, I think its all down to pressure. With pressure from the media - players lose their focus. Talk is cheap.

I for one, felt uncomfortable with our winning run and wished we had finished dead on mid table, then the pressure would be off of us.

You speak of Lansdowns incompetence, but I don't see where from? Tinnion was a mistake, but Danny Wilson was given time and financial backing, so was Tinnion. I don't see what more he could do...

GJ was by far the popular choice as manager, and just because we arent top of the table, four games in is not going to change my opinion.

But hold on, Weale isnt fit, Mcallister and Johnson came in at the last moment - it all adds up.

Whose fault is it that we signed a keeper with a serious injury and only took a belated interest in McAllister and then brought in a panic signing midfielder?

GJ had the whole close season to bring in a fit keeper, a proper left winger and anyone else he thought necessary. His own choices, how can they be used as excuses?

Four games in no need to panic but definitely cause for big concern. If we're no better 10 games in I will be extremely concerned, and I would expect that GJ be under massive pressure. I've said ever since his appointment the crunch time will be 10 games into this season and nothing's changed - we'll have a reasonable idea of what to expect from this season by then.

I'm far from convinced about his judgement yet, I hope he manages to get it right some time soon.

But hold on, Weale isnt fit, Mcallister and Johnson came in at the last moment - it all adds up. As for being slow starters, I think its all down to pressure. With pressure from the media - players lose their focus. Talk is cheap.

Making excuses again?

Is there any team in the country that isn't under some pressure to perform well at the beginning of a season? Why blame the fans and media expectation? Does this mean we have the monopoly on weak-minded players and staff who buckle under the pressure of expectation?

I for one, felt uncomfortable with our winning run and wished we had finished dead on mid table, then the pressure would be off of us.

So you actually hoped we would be mediocre and finish the season mid-table? What happened to the aforementioned pressure of expectation then?

You speak of Lansdowns incompetence, but I don't see where from? Tinnion was a mistake, but Danny Wilson was given time and financial backing, so was Tinnion. I don't see what more he could do...

How about putting someone in charge who could actually make a difference to the way we play football? Something Johnson has not done yet, nor did Tinnion before him. City's highest finishes in this league came under Danny Wilson, who was NOT appointed by Lansdown and lasted 18 months under him before he sacked him after a Millennium Stadium appearance.

What about actually balancing the books at the club for once? We have among the highest revenues in this league and we're still losing money - who's to blame for that?

GJ was by far the popular choice as manager, and just because we arent top of the table, four games in is not going to change my opinion.

Popular choice or not, his track record so far is very similar to Tinnion's. He wasn't my choice as manager. Four games or forty games, it's about performance and, under Johnson, we have been inconsistent AT BEST.

Making excuses again?

Is there any team in the country that isn't under some pressure to perform well at the beginning of a season? Why blame the fans and media expectation? Does this mean we have the monopoly on weak-minded players and staff who buckle under the pressure of expectation?

So you actually hoped we would be mediocre and finish the season mid-table? What happened to the aforementioned pressure of expectation then?

Whos making excuses? Its a fact that teams will raise their game when playing against you and its a current trend that the teams that have got out of this league have all maintained a low profile.

The website and supporters on here talk us up in a huge way. Players are aware of what is being said and when things go slightly wrong they can spiral out fo control. You want to give other teams less of a reson to beat you, so yes I did hope that after we were safe we ended up mid table. And mid table after being in the bottom four for so long would have been a succesful end.

How about putting someone in charge who could actually make a difference to the way we play football? Something Johnson has not done yet, nor did Tinnion before him. City's highest finishes in this league came under Danny Wilson, who was NOT appointed by Lansdown and lasted 18 months under him before he sacked him after a Millennium Stadium appearance.

How can you say that?! Tinnion didnt change the way we played football?! We signed Matt Heywood who was meant to be the hatchet man at the back, who gave the ball to Louis Carey who in turn punted the ball to Steve Brooker. Great to watch.

In turn, Gary Johnson like two lumps up top - with Bas, Brooks and McGammon. Its different to Wilson, and hopefully the way out of this league.

Now, with this in mind, from my own personal view - I think Enoch and Brooker should be starting - this would take the pressure of Brooker being a target man like last season.

What about actually balancing the books at the club for once? We have among the highest revenues in this league and we're still losing money - who's to blame for that?

Now come on, we lost at the Milstad and changes were made to balance the books. We sacked our expensive manager and got a cheaper option in, we sold players, we even got rid of psychologists and coaches.

I know that you are not a Steve fan and you stated in the past that you don't think GJ is the man for the job, and obviously we have differing iopinions, but I struggle to see what more Steve could have done.

Popular choice or not, his track record so far is very similar to Tinnion's. He wasn't my choice as manager. Four games or forty games, it's about performance and, under Johnson, we have been inconsistent AT BEST.

I agree, but I think that last season really did set us back a few seasons. We had old players to replace, and the fact that Steve had to balance the books (which you want him to do) meant we went for the cheap option in management. We really had no choice.

Wrong choice in hindsight, but the right choice at the time...

But as I said, we all have differing opinions.

I think the frustration is that fans can see that we still don't have a proper left winger and the goalkeeper situation is a complete farce. Also the way that some of our so called better players are playing (ie: Brooker, Murray) is very worrying. Add this to the fact that as a unit we look a complete shambles and it is no wonder questions are being asked.

well said that man there are not many on here it seems, that view the same.

Archived