IGNORED

Coming Of Age...

Nibor

What's even more disappointing about the silliness of Orr and Carey is that it overshadows what was a superb performance by young Dave Cotterill.

Someone who's been much criticised for his end product and decision making spent the night being at the centre of pretty much every chance we had, winning a penalty, scoring one, popping up in defence, rarely giving the ball away and frankly terrorising Northampton.

I choked on my pint when I heard the Sky pundit say early in the first half something like "that's what I like about Cotterill, there's always an end product" but he proved right. The run to win the penalty was a superb example of how to scare the shit out of a defender, the ball through to Brooker for the second was sublime, and what impressed me most was that he didn't fade out of the game in the second half after Orr was off.

Without wanting to take anything away from the many other players who did extremely well in the second half, that was one of the best individual displays I've seen from a City player in a long time, and he fully deserved his man of the match. Congratulations Dave, and long may it continue. Just don't do it in front of the Sky cameras again or you'll be off.

Wouldnt mind if he left I don't rate him at all.

Did you watch todays game? really came of age today. has looked very inexperienced previously, but today he played quality and made some excellent decisions in his play. I think he has made a big step today and here's to him keeping up this kind of performance, will be player of the season if he plays like this more often

Cotterill was superb today, but I'll agree he is nowhere near the finished article just yet. At times this season he has been incredibly frustrating, but if he can perform the way he did tonight consistently then he has a very bright future indeed.

But yeah, tonight he was the best player on the pitch.

Wouldnt mind if he left I don't rate him at all.

For goodness sake the kids 18 years old, has just played out of his skin and made a major contibution to an excellent away win. He showed maturity beyond his years and was a credit to our club. Your remark astounds me and is made without any substance. So, pray tell,

1. why exactly don't you rate him?

2. whom DO you rate at Ashton Gate?

1 game dosent make him a good player

Unfortunately not but hopefully he'll have more games like this one.

Shame that he's a has-been and we can't expect any more improvements from him as he gets older and more experienced.

Lets all join in on the Cotterill love in...

Peter Beagrie "What I like about Cotterill - every time he gets the ball theres an end product..."

Can we not play in front of the sky cameras every week?

I laughed at that comment whe he said it too :laugh:

Lets all join in on the Cotterill love in...

Peter Beagrie "What I like about Cotterill - every time he gets the ball theres an end product..."

Can we not play in front of the sky cameras every week?

A player playing for a premiership contract, before thursday ?

Would not be surprised if an offer comes in.

He was awesome tonight, and showed us all what he can do. The sky is the limit for him, and the amount of fans that slag him off at the Gate is beyond belief. I hope tonight shows those fans that although he does make mistakes, he is probably the most talented player at the club. A great performance, great player and he could well be the difference maker this season.

• Admin

I was discussing Cotts with another forum member (edit: GODZILLA ......flaming egomaniac) earlier.

When he first broke into the side under Tinnion, he was full of attacking intent and often beat his man but the defensive side of his game was completely non-existant.

Under Johnson, this defensive side of his game (bar the odd blunder) has undoubtedly improved and he's become much more of a team player. However, up until now it had appeared to come at the expense of losing some of his attacking threat.

Tonight was the first time both sides of his game have been brought to the table at once. In attack he was a constant thorn in Northampton's side, nearly always selecting the right option and having a hand in all three of our goals whilst I lost count of the times he was back defending or blocking a runner. He even seemed to have cut out his inclination to dribble his way out of defence!

I think with just a couple of days left till the window closes we'll be safe for the short term but a handful of clubs will use tonight's performance as an excuse to send scouts to specifically watch him before the January window opens and if we're a) not in the promotion shake-up by then or b) the clubs happen to be Premiership clubs then I think we may struggle to hold on to him IF tonight's showing was "a coming of age" rather than just a one-off "flash-in-the-pan" performance.

1 game dosent make him a good player

Capped by Wales, watched by Tottenham and Fulham, scored tonight, assisted one, won a penalty, ran riot against them all night. He has played well before and tonight shows his true potential. If you think that he isn't a good player then you are either too proud to change your opinion of him or you just watched a different game. He had a good season last year, and was also our best player in the 2nd half vs Blackpool. He is quality, a bit rough around the edges, but this boy will make it big.

It was almost as if the game was live on Sky a couple of days before the transfer window closes :me?:

This was probely(?) a shallow comment, i hope he does stay. I still think he plays better as a striker. He looks so good running through the middle straight at defenders. Definatly his best performance.

Well done young un

:farmer:

cotts was quality. Last night was his best game in a city shirt, in my opinion, and really showed all that he has learnt over the past season or two. He looked a class act, and gave us a glimpse of what a great player he can be. I just have a feeling that it's the start of MANY great performaces, of course he cant be perfect every game but last night he definitely played a big part. nice one Framps

he was fantastic last night, but the one thing that made me laugh was when brian little was talking about him, and he said something like 'what i like is that there is always an end product with him, whether its a decent shot or cross'!

if i was not a city supporter and i had watched the game last night, i would of agreed, but come on, we all know this isnt the case!

hopefully this performance will kick start his season. he was passing when he needed and running with the ball in the night area's of the pitch. lets hope he can build on this

I thought Cotts was superb and once he matures he will be another city player moving onwards and upwards to better things. I hope when he peaks that he is still with us but i don't think so. Maybe the idiots who keep knocking him will help make his mind up when the time comes and yet again we will lose another promising talent.

Archived