IGNORED

Jennison's A Striker

Red_Mat

"Jennison Williams' future will probably be as a central striker, according to boss Gary Johnson."

Well, that's handy. With Cotterill gone and Williams apparently now a striker, rather than a winger, who does that leave us with to play out wide?

Well, obviously there's Murray. Who, judging by the fact he's been stuck in the reserves for the last few weeks, Johnson probably doesn't rate.

There's also new-boy Jamie McAllister, who, judging by the fact he's been shoved in at left-back - admittedly because Craig Woodman's been injured, but I can't see him shifting from there now - is not a winger either.

Danny Wring is coming through, but he's nowhere near ready yet.

Other than that, I can't think of any out and out wide men at the club. So what does that mean?

It either means Murray doesn't have to try anymore and will be quite happy now he's got his place back by default. Or it means that a seeming joke by Nibor in another thread is going to come through.

He jokingly - I think - suggested that Johnson might end up playing five central midfielders. Well, that seems to be about all he can play now!

So, how soon before we see a line-up such as this:

Basso

Orr..........Fontaine..........Carey..........McAllister

Skuse..........Johnson..........Noble..........Brown

Jevons..........Brooker

With at least Russell and Artus on the bench, perhaps?

I know Skuse didn't play well there the other day, but Johnson has defended how well he did it in training and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him out there again sometime.

Thoughts?!

I was joking, but it's a scary thought.

My guess is it'll be Murray and Showunmi wide for the next few games and if that doesn't work we'll see experiments with McAllister, Williams, Brown and maybe even Wring and Artus.

It's worth remembering that Wring is actually older than Cotterill and Artus is older now than Cotterill was when he got a regular place in the team.

Also, we can loan players in with pre agreed fees to go through in January, so that might be an option.

I have to agree with both you guys about Williams; I was really looking forward to the day when we could have played Cotterill up the right and Williams down the left. That would have scared the hell out of defences.

The thought of Skuse and Brown running at you just isn't as frightening if you're a full-back, is it?

GL reckons he will become a striker, a bit like Henry then? He's got plenty of pace, he's powerful and has good technique. Being able to play on the wing gives him another dimension, all the really talented young footballs usually become strikers, unless of course you name is Claude Makelele.

We have some great youth players comming through, some of which including Jennison will play 1st team this season. Frankie Artus, Dean Grubb, Tristain Plumber, James Wilson to name a few. Danny Wring and Shaun Lamb will defo get games this season.

Williams is a winger. Before GJ came here I hadnt seen Williams play once upfront and he looked quality on the left.

GJ really does piss me off.

Sorry - GJ has it right this time.

If you ask Jennison himself (and I have) he'll tell you he is a striker first and foremost. Of course he's willing to play in any position to get into the first team, but that doesnt make him a winger.

Archived