IGNORED

This Club Will Always Think Small

Keepers Ball

This is what I was thinking one hell of a lot yesterday.

Unfortunately Bristol City is a medium size club and always will be.

It really hit home when Cotterill was sold the other day.

OK I understand its 2 million quid but when money is mention this club never digs its heels in when it comes to keeping players and I just don't buy this "We need the money" lark.Let me give you an example.

Lets say nobody came in for Cotterill despite his worth.Could you see Herr Lansdown saying "Sorry fellas but we need to sell one of our best players to balance the books" ?

No

Everytime we sell a player we never get a decent replacement

eg

Murray.We bought Wilkshire and I don't go for this how good he was lark.Not in this Division anyhow.One good game in eight id say.

Lita replaced by Stewart and Bridges.In Stewart and good player doesnt become crap overnight and the man -management of Johnson certainly doesnt help.In Bridges he wasnt given any time to get games in and get fit.This led us onto crap like Savage and that bloke from Brighton and a loan from Peterboro in the shape of Quinn who couldnt get into a struggling League 2 side.

And now Cotterill.Well we have to wait until January to buy a wide man.Enochs not the answer so I wonder what delights will be brought in then.Nothing to write home about no doubt.

I know ! We've got 2 million ...lets make a start on the Eastend ? On second thoughts this is a club that drags its heels and thinks small so in time I'm sure the 2 million will be forgotten about

i agree we should think bigger and not sale are best players its a lack of Ambition. and a another point is, i also don't buy it when the club said it needs the money. when the ticket prices has gone up and we on average as a club are a wel supported team so we get a good income from ticket and shirt sales. just look at teams like colchester, they average 3000 fans and there doing better then us. money isnt eveything, we want to show more Ambition and get the pick a team which are willing to battle to every ball and points.

Fair Point but how many teams in the lower leagues can afford to turn down bids of 2 million for a player, none i reckon.

Oh i can well understand that but like I said earlier.When do you ever hear the Chairman state "We NEED to sell such and such to balance the books" ?

As for ticket prices going up I don't really mind that.Everything goes up nowadays and to be fair whilst we've been hit with price rises in Taxes,fuel bills etc so have the club and after all its only the odd quid per game.

Oh i can well understand that but like I said earlier.When do you ever hear the Chairman state "We NEED to sell such and such to balance the books" ?

I'm sorry but despite all the good things lansdown has done for this club it isnt good enough

Is he any different to any other chairman in football though? Surely they are businessmen who are protecting the business and thats what its all about these days. It sucks but its a fact of life for us.

once our clubs debt has gone and the club start making a profit

then we will have to sell some of our best players.

if we didn't there would be no bristol city football club.

Should not forget the fact that surely cotts would of wanted to leave to play in the premier league anyway, we got a good price and a decent sell on clause (apparently)

:englandsmile4wf: ALL LOWER LEAGUE CLUBS ARE SELLING CLUBS.HOW CAN YOU KEEP A PLAYER WHO WILL GET 5 TIMES THE WAGES WE CAN OFFER.OUR PROBLEM OVER THE YEARS SEEMS TO BE THAT WE CAN'T GET THE BEST OUT OF THE PLAYERS WE BRING IN ,AFTER THIS LAST COURT FIASO WE MAY EVEN KNOW THE REASON WHY.LETS HOPE THIS IS A LESSON TO SOME OF THE BIG HEADS WHO THINK THEY ARE WONDERFULL JUST BECAUSE THEY PLAY FOR CITY AND ARE HERO WORSHIPPED BY THE FANS.BE BIG HEADED ON THE PITCH BY ALL MEANS AND SHOW HOW GOOD YOU REALLY ARE.AFTER THIS LAST WEEK THE ONLY WAY IS UP!SO COME ON THE CITY PLAYERS SHOW US HOW GOOD YOU ARE,THE FANS WILL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU NO MATTER WHAT IF YOU ARE SEEN TO BE TRYING :englandsmile4wf:

If Wigan had offered say £10m for Cotts would you then have said that the board were right to accept it? If they had turned it down would you have said that they were stupid and thinking small - that of course they should have accepted it? What about if the Wigan offer had been £5m?

My point is that every footballer has their price. What was the price which you would have been happy to accept for Cotts? Mine was around £1m.

Wigan offered a price for Cotts which, in my opinion, we would have been dumb to turn down. It far exceeded my expectations and I am convinced that it was right that we accepted it. Cotts is an 18 years old - he may go on to be a superstar; may fail to achieve his potential ... we just don't know.

His price was a consequence of market forces - time running out to the transfer deadline ... shop about to close ... Wigan with money burning a hole in their pocket. I think that it is highly unlikey that we would have ever again been offered such a price for him.

I don't think that it is evidence of the club thinking small - just good business. We should wish him luck and move on - focus our efforts not on slating the board but on getting behind the team.

it was lansdown ( i think ) that set the price of 2 million pounds to

ward off buyers.then wigan came in with the price and cotts wanted

to go

As soon as someone wants to leave a football club you get the best price possible that is what we have done, we have lost better players than cotts in the last 10 years

Archived