IGNORED

It'll Never Happen But.....

And Its Smith

We have no good wingers and too many central midfielders so why do you think Johnson wont play 5-3-2 to do you think?

Surely this team (although only on paper) looks good:

........Basso....

...Carey....McCombe....Fontaine.....

Murray/Orr..........McAllister/Woodman

.....Noble......Skuse.......Johnson.........

....Brooker..........Jevons..........

It means that everyone is playing in position and ok, some of you may want Brown in instead of maybe Skuse but this squad seems perfectly set for this formation.

I always find it interesting that 5-3-2 is touted as some big utopian formation that will solve all ills in football. People talked about it for Eriksson's England and Bristol Boy's been banging on about it for City for as long as I can remember. It's a very difficult system to carry off effectively due to restrictions with width. Can you name one team that's won anything recently playing 5-3-2? No, neither can I.

We have no good wingers and too many central midfielders so why do you think Johnson wont play 5-3-2 to do you think?

........Basso....

It means that everyone is playing in position and ok, some of you may want Brown in instead of maybe Skuse but this squad seems perfectly set for this formation.

if we tried this and get stuffed, johnson would become to worse manager the club has evr had and we will all be calling for his head. he is better of sticking to what he knows and playing that way

........Basso....

I think 5-3-2 3-5-2 or whatever it is has an over reliance on the wing backs to provide the width otherwise you are trying to play up and down the pitch of about 10 yards wide.

Wales played wing backs against the Czechs and were over run in midfield. Norhampton played it against us and could not stop Orr getting forward and could not control the midfield so they changed to 4-4-2.

It is a very defensive formation.

Also what happens when you come up against 2 attacking full-backs who create 2 on ones with our wing back.

........Basso....

I think with McAllister on board you've got a point Dave. Others on the forum have been talking about this for ages but I don't think we've had the players to do it.

We could be weak on the right though because Murray is either past it or not interested and I'm not sure Bradley would be good enough getting forward (although he does do it well occasionally)

I'd certainly like to see those three in midfield though...

I think with McAllister on board you've got a point Dave. Others on the forum have been talking about this for ages but I don't think we've had the players to do it.

We could be weak on the right though because Murray is either past it or not interested and I'm not sure Bradley would be good enough getting forward (although he does do it well occasionally)

I'd certainly like to see those three in midfield though...

Think it is clear that you can't play johnson and noble in a 4-4-2 especially away from home, definsively both weak.

Archived