IGNORED

Part Timer's

little un

Guest Eddie Hitler

What the ##### is wrong with being a part-timer?

I want to see a passing, winning City side.

If I wanted to see a hoofing side losing I'd go down the gas, it's cheaper. When Osman was manager I stopped going. It's my Saturday, it's my money.

If City were at the foot of the Conference, losing to rubbish and playing rubbish would you turn up Saturday after Saturday? Honestly?

If City were at the foot of the Conference, losing to rubbish and playing rubbish would you turn up Saturday after Saturday?  Honestly?

Actually yes, because that is what being a football fan is all about. Admittedly it would be hard going, but would always think they were about to get better!

I was there in the promotion season to the old Division 1 in 1976; I was there watching them in the 4th division losing 1-3 at home to Northampton in 1983. I don't care where City play I will come support them because I am a city supporter. No fair weather fickleness for me but hey I'm of the old school; times were 'ard in them days, we lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.......

Guest Eddie Hitler
Aint we already been through this ####!  :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

To avoid unnecessary repetition could people in future kindly avoid posts on:

Danny Wilson

Midfield

Attack

Defence

Current Players

Transfer targets

Atmosphere at games

Promotion

Promotion rivals

Bristol City

Supporting Bristol City

Thank You

"The Management"

hmmmm, what's that leave us with then.

maybe we could discuss players choice of clothes and style, haircuts etc - er no actually think we've done that too!

suddenly the forum goes really quiet - as quiet as the Plymouth one :P

Absolutely.

To avoid unnecessary repetition could people in future kindly avoid posts on:

Danny Wilson

Midfield

Attack

Defence

Current Players

Transfer targets

Atmosphere at games

Promotion

Promotion rivals

Bristol City

Supporting Bristol City

Thank You

"The Management"

Eddie...... you've ruined my evening :rolleyes:

at the end of the day how ever many posts there are about "part time fans" it aint going to change nothing, certain people only come when we are playing well, others you may call the "die hards" come to as many games as they possibly can. anyways you're always going to find people like that and its better they come when wea are winning and bring in a couple quid more from tickets than them never coming at all. I'm not a "part time" supporter btw :rolleyes:

Fair enough, not many people admit to being fair weather supporters on here!

It may be "fair enough" but those of us that went through 1982 and the struggles at the bottom of the fourth don't have to be happy when part timers turn up when we're doing well then spend all game moaning! :rolleyes:

Guest Eddie Hitler
Fair enough, not many people admit to being fair weather supporters on here!
Phatwill

I think the key word there is "admit". If you go to all the games win or lose then you will (quite rightly) brag about it. It's impressive and I would have counted myself among that number up to six years ago (with the exception of the Osman era).

Admitting to being a fair weather supporter has all the social cachet of wearing an "I've got gonnorhea" t-shirt but I would lay any money that fair weather supporters greatly outnumber die-hards on this forum. They're hardly going to broadcast it though.

Baldock red on the Netcentre was honest enough to say that he had only been to two games this season and got slaughtered for it. Having seen that happen everybody else will pretend they go to most or all; with the occasional unintentional reference to listening to the radio commentary blamed on work / family / money.

Ask Steve Lansdown what he thinks of our fair weather fans. He's relying on us to turn up when we get promotion to take attendances to 16,000. And we will.

Eddie Hitler

Ruiner of Peoples' Evenings :rolleyes:

Hammersmith

I turned up for every game this season, even the ones we didn't play! :dunno:

Seriously I never go to all matches; my social calendar comes first and if I'm doing something or going somewhere else then I don't come to AG. This season we've had 21 home matches in all competitions and I've missed two. I will also definitely miss the blackpool match so that's three.

This qualifies me as a part-timer but I DON'T CARE :rolleyes: so there yah boo.

Isn't that the capacity? Every time they have Soccer Blunday the Swinedon stadium is empty behind the right hand goal. Why is that? Is it the Osvaldo Ardiles Stand, built for purely tax evasion purposes?

Same old story - put a run together and the part timers come flooding back
Isn't that the whole point of trying to be successful on the pitch?

I'm pretty sure that, if the board thought we'd still be getting crowds of 11,000 playing in a higher division, then they'd pack up now.

Have you noticed how Man Utd and Arsenal get bigger crowds than us? Do you suppose all those people would be there if those clubs had spent the vast majority of the last 25 years playing in the lower divisions? No, they are there because they want to be involved in something successful. The increased attendances bring in more money, which allows those clubs to buy better players which, in turn, allows them to become even more successful.

I really don't understand this resentment towards people who turn up when we are near the top of the division and in with a chance of getting promoted. We need all the support we can get, not to mention the money that they bring with them, if we are ever going to move forward.

Isn't that the capacity?  Every time they have Soccer Blunday the Swinedon stadium is empty behind the right hand goal.  Why is that?  Is it the Osvaldo Ardiles Stand, built for purely tax evasion purposes?
I thought they only opened it for us and the other "big" clubs that visit their little hovel.

Isn't that the whole point of trying to be successful on the pitch?

I'm pretty sure that, if the board thought we'd still be getting crowds of 11,000 playing in a higher division, then they'd pack up now.

Have you noticed how Man Utd and Arsenal get bigger crowds than us? Do you suppose all those people would be there if those clubs had spent the vast majority of the last 25 years playing in the lower divisions? No, they are there because they want to be involved in something successful. The increased attendances bring in more money, which allows those clubs to buy better players which, in turn, allows them to become even more successful.

I really don't understand this resentment towards people who turn up when we are near the top of the division and in with a chance of getting promoted. We need all the support we can get, not to mention the money that they bring with them, if we are ever going to move forward.

Exactly. It's all money in the bank. It helps to ensure our survival, so why care?

We'll should be thanking so-called part-timers (a term I don't agree with by the way; FELLOW FAN sums it up much better) :rolleyes:

Quite agree. There are some people (usually some of the younger lads with no family ties, wives, girlfriends, children, ailing parents, in-laws and work commitments) who seem to think that because they go to every game it somehow makes them a better supporter.

I think it's great that some people can follow City home and away - I take my hat off to them for their dedication, and for the huge amount of money they must spend doing it. But people lead complicated lives, and sometimes football has to compete with a whole load of other demands. I'm a season ticket holder, but I still reluctantly miss 2 or 3 home games a year because of work or family commitments. I rarely go to away matches for similar reasons (and when we do we always lose, so that's probably not a bad thing).

I sometimes think that those who berate the 'part time' fans would be happier if they could have their own little exclusive club, where just them and their mates were the only true supporters, and everyone who doesn't go to every single game wearing their Bristol City underpants is somehow a Gashead. I'd be interested to know the exact numbers, but the number of people who do attend every single match, home and away must be in the very low hundreds. I don't think you could build a successful club on that sort of attendance.

We should welcome every fan who comes, even if it is only a few times a season. The more successful we become, the more fans we will attract. That's always been the nature of football. Success breeds success. We'll have 18000 in the ground for the top of the table QPR and Plymouth games. If we struggle next season in Division 1, you wouldn't bet against 9,000 turning up for the Rotherham home game.

It seems that people only count as being a fan if they actually attend matches. Don't other people count?

Eg there are people from all over the country and indeed world who post on here, go into the chatrooms, subscribe to BCFC World ( or what ever it is called), they look at the official site which I believe earns the club money and they buy online from the city shop. Some of them haven't been to a match in years , if ever. Why are they less valued?

Aren't we are all city fans no matter how many matches we attend? If you take the trouble to log in to a clubs forum and express your opinions surely that shows you care? But it seems that your opinion isn't as valued as someone who is able to travel to Grimsby on a cold wintery night for example?

I go to every weeknight game, or weekday game if its in a holiday (new years), and to the occasional away game but cant make saturdays where I play footy myself. I dont think I would be classed as a part timer because I dont go to the games just because they are winning. I dont care what anyone else thinks of that but whilst my legs are still working well I would prefer to play as much Football as I can on a saturday, you never know, I could break my leg tomorrow and never be able to play again!

If people want to label me a part timer, thats thier opinion. Even after the 1-1 vs Wycombe which I went to tues night, which we didnt play fast, flowing, attacking football I am still going to the Rushden home game which is on a friday night because I enjoy it.

Each person has thier priorities be it work, familly or football but being the better city fan isn't what it is all about in my opinion. It doesn't matter how many games you go to or how far you travel, you still go there for one thing and that is the entertainment value.

Archived