IGNORED

City Players And Manager.

Rednready

Recent promotion teams Brighton, Crewe, and Millwall have returned to us. Its a much bigger jump from division 1 to Championship, than division 1 to 2.

Imo, the bulk of our squad would not keep us in the Championship division. That means a large turnover of players and a huge financial investment in Key players to stay up and not come down within 2 seasons.

Next point is our current Manager. Could he work in the higher level, could he handle the better players on higher salary's. GJ's ego would need a drastic shift in attitude.

Forest and Swansea have spent money to get promotion, and don't seem to have a problem shelling out 300k for players they want. There's the difference, SL has tightened the purse, and GJ has a mind set with star players, or players with higher league experience.

Most of our new players are well performed in Conference, division 2 and lower division 1. As many in the forum said about Bridges, they may have reached their level. I believe this to be true, and if promotion is reached via the play offs, only a handful of our current squad would be good enough to help keep us in the Championship league.

Recent promotion teams Brighton, Crewe, and Millwall have returned to us. Its a much bigger jump from division 1 to Championship, than division 1 to 2.

Imo, the bulk of our squad would not keep us in the Champions division. That means a large turnover of players and a huge financial investment in Key players to stay up and not come down within 2 seasons.

Next point is our current Manager. Could he work in the higher level, could he handle the better players on higher salary's. GJ's ego would need a drastic shift in attitude.

Forest and Swansea have spent money to get promotion, and don't seem to have a problem shelling out 300k for players they want. There's the difference, SL has tightened the purse, and GJ has a mind set with star players, or players with higher league experience.

Most of our new players are well performed in Conference, division 2 and lower division 1. As many in the forum said about Bridges, they may have reached their level. I believe this to be true, and if promotion is reached via the play offs, only a handful of our current squad would be good enough to help keep us in the Champions league

Champions league lets try and get to the championship first.

Imo, the bulk of our squad would not keep us in the Champions division.

only a handful of our current squad would be good enough to help keep us in the Champions league

The bulk of our squad are struggling to keep us in mid-table in league 1

It will be a very long time, if ever, until we're in the Champions league...!!!

Recent promotion teams Brighton,

Most of our new players are well performed in Conference, division 2 and lower division 1. As many in the forum said about Bridges, they may have reached their level. I believe this to be true, and if promotion is reached via the play offs, only a handful of our current squad would be good enough to help keep us in the Champions league

Which players would be good enough for the Champions League? Also I like your optimism but I feel there isn't any chance of us being there next year.

However I agree that we would definately need to get extra class in several areas of the team, but hopefully if we did get there Steve would release some money to get a few players.

Which players would be good enough for the Champions League? Also I like your optimism but I feel there isn't any chance of us being there next year.

However I agree that we would definately need to get extra class in several areas of the team, but hopefully if we did get there Steve would release some money to get a few players.

Possibly Weale, although we can only judge him on Yeovil performances, otherwise its post injury conjecture. Carey will be 30+ and returned to us from championship, however we do have some blood and guts defenders like Orr and Keogh who can make it on heart alone. Some will be surprised but I think Brown and Artus will make it and Noble too if matched with the right combination. Skuse, Williams, Wilson, and an in form Brooker would complete the list. The rest are at their level, again just my opinion, and we are talking next season.

IMO we are at present a average mid-table team, with Orr & Brooker back we become an above average team - we look nothing like a team that can challenge for the PO's let alone auto places.

We have to somehow hang on to the top teams until Jan then hopefully SL will spend a few quid - if we somehow got promoted with the present squad we would be dead certs for relegation.

To make the championship dream come alive & stay there we're going to have to sign some big ego players!

Imo, the bulk of our squad would not keep us in the Championship division. That means a large turnover of players and a huge financial investment in Key players to stay up and not come down within 2 seasons.

Most of our new players are well performed in Conference, division 2 and lower division 1. As many in the forum said about Bridges, they may have reached their level. I believe this to be true, and if promotion is reached via the play offs, only a handful of our current squad would be good enough to help keep us in the Championship league.

so what about the championship, if we ever get there then we have to worry about getting players suitable for the championship, at the moment what we need is players to get us out of this league! we have signed too many pretty boy championship players in the past who surely could do a job but they haven't been good enough for this level.

that's the problem with alot of people! they seem to have big club mentality and if they don't feel a player is good enough for the championship they don't feel they are good enough for us.

Just remind me what league they are in at the moment?

The fact is we are a million miles away from being anywhere near good enough to challange for this league let alone staying up in the next one. We are a poor side with most players playing out of position. We are very un-ambitous, with a bunch of players who were either very good in the conference or were average league two players; (Noble, Johnson, Jevons, Basso, McCombe) and also unproven youth players; (Keogh, Woodman, Fontaine, Myrie Williams, Orr + Brown (although the best our of the young uns.)) And 4 players proven at this level in Brooker, Carey, arguebly Enoch and Murray (who is past his best)

So to be dreaming of promotion at this stage is wild, let alone thinking we can actually acheive it.

average league two players; (Noble, Johnson, Jevons, McCombe

Come again? Noble has shown us all this season that he is class, and he is having a good season and is a good player, intelligent player who will be key to any success we have.

Jevons and Johnson average league two players??? 30 goals for Jevo in league two followed up by 17 in a mid table league one side and Johnson was the best player in league two, getting in team of the year and being snapped up by SPL Championship challengers Hearts the next season. If that is 'average' then what is good in league two out of interest?

Jamie McComber, Lincoln player of the season and man of the match in both legs of the play-off semi's last season. Also Lincoln captain and an all round good performer. No way is he an 'average' league two player, he is a good player for that league- and our league too.

Keogh, Woodman, Fontaine, Myrie Williams, Orr + Brown

Fontaine unproven? Did you attend the last 15 games of last season? Same goes for Orr. Myrie-Williams is unproven but looks quality, and Woodman and Keogh aren't even first team players. Scott Brown was our top assist maker last season, or is he still unproven at this level? Scott Brown is a decent player, excellent squadie and by no means unproven.

The fact is we are a million miles away from being anywhere near good enough to challange for this league let alone staying up in the next one. We are a poor side with most players playing out of position. We are very un-ambitous, with a bunch of players who were either very good in the conference or were average league two players; (Noble, Johnson, Jevons, Basso, McCombe) and also unproven youth players; (Keogh, Woodman, Fontaine, Myrie Williams, Orr + Brown (although the best our of the young uns.)) And 4 players proven at this level in Brooker, Carey, arguebly Enoch and Murray (who is past his best)

So to be dreaming of promotion at this stage is wild, let alone thinking we can actually acheive it.

Got a spare knife? Mite be easier :doh:

Come again? Noble has shown us all this season that he is class, and he is having a good season and is a good player, intelligent player who will be key to any success we have.

Jevons and Johnson average league two players??? 30 goals for Jevo in league two followed up by 17 in a mid table league one side and Johnson was the best player in league two, getting in team of the year and being snapped up by SPL Championship challengers Hearts the next season. If that is 'average' then what is good in league two out of interest?

Jamie McComber, Lincoln player of the season and man of the match in both legs of the play-off semi's last season. Also Lincoln captain and an all round good performer. No way is he an 'average' league two player, he is a good player for that league- and our league too.

Fontaine unproven? Did you attend the last 15 games of last season? Same goes for Orr. Myrie-Williams is unproven but looks quality, and Woodman and Keogh aren't even first team players. Scott Brown was our top assist maker last season, or is he still unproven at this level? Scott Brown is a decent player, excellent squadie and by no means unproven.

If all the above players are so good - why are we in the lower half of the third division?

The topic was about - would the team survive in the championship. The last time we got into the Championship (10 years ago) we came straight back down. The big difference between the leagues then was pace - we didn't have it, other teams did - apart from JMW the same problems affect this current team.

We are - today - as far away as we have ever been from returning to the Championship.

If all the above players are so good - why are we in the lower half of the third division?

The topic was about - would the team survive in the championship. The last time we got into the Championship (10 years ago) we came straight back down. The big difference between the leagues then was pace - we didn't have it, other teams did - apart from JMW the same problems affect this current team.

We are - today - as far away as we have ever been from returning to the Championship.

it's early days just because we are in the bottom half of the table at the moment doesn't mean we are a bad team and the players are bad, just means possibly haven't got going yet!

Arsenal are currently 17th in the Premiership does that mean Gallas, Henry, Cesc Fab and Toure aren't good enough for the premiership? No it doesn't it just means as a team they haven't got going yet!

Last time we were up, I thought the big difference was almost every team we came up against had 2 classy forwards and chances that went begging the season before were being tucked away.

As far as i can see our defence would need only a little strengthening but our forwards, bar possibly an improving Jevons, would be mostly ineffective.

I'm not convinced Brooker is a good enough all round forward for the Championship. Lacking pace and ball control, his limitations would be much more evident and he's not a high scorer even at our present level.

At least 3 new players would be needed in the midfield/forward positions and that would be on top of the couple we so obviously need now to put us in with any chance of actually getting there.

Who finished 2nd for the last 23 games of last season? Judge us over time, not 7 games.

I see, so 23 games is "time" and 7 isn't?

23 is a meaningless number that's selected purely to make our form look good - why not 33? Or the last 3?

The only number that means anything is 46 - the full season - and in that time we finished outside the playoffs. That's all that matters.

Can you honestly say that this squad looks any more likely to finish in a promotion spot than the one from this time last year?

Back to my original topic. Last night we struggled in the second half to beat a very ordinary Leyton Orient. As stated at the start, this squad as it is may reach the playoffs and last nights results

certainly helped us.

Just look at the recently promoted teams in the bottom half of the Championship, we would be back down again in short time without some classy additions. Nogbad mentions the aftermath of our last promotion, and the need for better strikers

All I can say is that we have a squad with a high number of under 25 year olds, and around 9 players 20 and under. Its a season of growth, and I hope that some of these younger players make the leap to quality that we will need for promotion and survival at a higher level.

I disagree with some of GJ's tactics and man management, but the way he is shaping the squad, certainly indicates a desire to use and develop the strong youth infrastructure available. Its cost affective, and helps the squad gel and believe in themselves without loan players.

During GJ's next set of 10 matches our squad should contain around two dozen players who have trained and played together for 5 months. Millens and GJ should by then know which of our younger players will make the grade, and any requirements in january.

Brighton & Hove Albion (Bobby Zamora, Leon Knight, Danny Cullip)

Crewe Alexandra (Dean Ashton, Robert Hulse, Rodney Jack)

Millwall (Neil Harris, Paul Ifill, Darren Ward)

All the relegated clubs sold or lost some of their best players while in the Championship (there are other players but I can't be bothered to research them).

Also, you get much more time on the ball to play in the Championship unlike the up and at 'em style in Division 1 and we know when given time and space to play that we are better than most sides in this division and some in the division above.

The BCFC squad will need strengthening if promoted but not as much as people would think (probably just the spine of the team plus a RW) and anyway SL will not dish out much although he will get through quite a few pairs of trousers while that £2m is burning holes in his pockets. :D

As for GJ being good enough for the Championship, if he just gets us out of this **** division that will be good enough for me.

BCAGFC

Archived