IGNORED

Clayton Fortune In Last Night's "the London Paper"

East Yorkshire CideRed

Article in the Sports Section of one of these new Free London evening papers that seem to have popped up over night:

Fortune will favour brave Os in Bristol

Clayton Fortune believes Leyton Orient's trip to Bristol City tonight will be easier than most people think.

The East Londoners will face a side tipped by many for promotion from League one. this season, but the former City defender feels this can work in the O's favour.

Fortune, 23, knows the expectation levels of the fans at Ashton Gate and hopes that the pressure will be too much to bear for their opponents.

He insisted: "It's easier when you play against the bigger teams. That's because nobody is expecting us to go all that way and win, so it takes the pressure off a bit. It's quite good for the away team at Ashton Gate because the home fans are quite hard on their own team. If they haven't scored in the first ten minutes or so, their fans tend to boo their own side.

We've got the mentality that if we're on our game we can be a match for anyone in this division."

One word Clayton: Schadenfreude.

Can't ever remember booing City after 10 mins!

Article in the Sports Section of one of these new Free London evening papers that seem to have popped up over night:

Fortune will favour brave Os in Bristol

Clayton Fortune believes Leyton Orient's trip to Bristol City tonight will be easier than most people think.

The East Londoners will face a side tipped by many for promotion from League one. this season, but the former City defender feels this can work in the O's favour.

Fortune, 23, knows the expectation levels of the fans at Ashton Gate and hopes that the pressure will be too much to bear for their opponents.

He insisted: "It's easier when you play against the bigger teams. That's because nobody is expecting us to go all that way and win, so it takes the pressure off a bit. It's quite good for the away team at Ashton Gate because the home fans are quite hard on their own team. If they haven't scored in the first ten minutes or so, their fans tend to boo their own side.

We've got the mentality that if we're on our game we can be a match for anyone in this division."

One word Clayton: Schadenfreude.

to be fair clayton has got a point, interesting that 2 former players have said in recent weeks of the pressure from the fans at City is partly to blame for our downfall at times!

I can remember allmost booing Clayfoot though, right after he watched the ball pass him into the net, twice in 4 mins.

04/05 season last game at home to Donny, maybe cost us promotion. :(

Some players love the added pressure of playing for a big team, some cave in on it, i wonder what catogary Bamby is in?

I can remember allmost booing Clayfoot though, right after he watched the ball pass him into the net, twice in 4 mins.

04/05 season last game at home to Donny, maybe cost us promotion. :(

Some players love the added pressure of playing for a big team, some cave in on it, i wonder what catogary Bamby is in?

I remeber people booing Clayton when he was a 20-year-old with a lot of potential, and he loved the club.

I think our supporters are much more negative nowadays. It probably is being in this division for so long, but I don't remember us booing players in 1996 / 97 times, when we weren't doing a lot better in terms of results, or when we were going down from old Division 2.

I think his point should be taken on board, rather than dismissed as the bitter ramblings of a never-was :shutup:

I remeber people booing Clayton when he was a 20-year-old with a lot of potential, and he loved the club.

I think our supporters are much more negative nowadays. It probably is being in this division for so long, but I don't remember us booing players in 1996 / 97 times, when we weren't doing a lot better in terms of results, or when we were going down from old Division 2.

I think his point should be taken on board, rather than dismissed as the bitter ramblings of a never-was :shutup:

I think the dressing room has changed a bit since Claytons departure, its certainly not like what it was when Tinnion was in charge, or Wilson for that matter.

Yeps, it's tough being the 'big fish' in a small league for this long, although supporting City can hardly be called Glory hunting i spose.. It's all about promotion, it has to happen one day ! :pray:

I think he's spot on - the boneheads who criticise the team week in week out whether we are winning/losing drawing/playing well/playing badly do no one any favours - players talk, word gets around and our reputation as being ultra critical and impatient probably influences players who are considering coming to play for us as well.

I think the dressing room has changed a bit since Claytons departure, its certainly not like what it was when Tinnion was in charge, or Wilson for that matter.

Yeps, it's tough being the 'big fish' in a small league for this long, although supporting City can hardly be called Glory hunting i spose.. It's all about promotion, it has to happen one day ! :pray:

Did'nt seem to mind the lifestyle while he was here though did he?!! To be able to go out in a big city where people know who you are and you are only a 3rd rate pro. Seemed to love the attention that that brings.

CF is right that us fans put pressure on players to succeed but so it should be and if a player can't handle the pressure of very, very, very high expectations then they shouldn't be playing for BCFC they should sign for someone like Colchester United etc.

If CF showed the same amount of aggression in his play as he has in that interview then he would probably still be playing for BCFC as he has everything a manager would want in a footballer, pace/strength/heighth etc but he is a pussy cat in terms of aggression.

BCAGFC

Wasn't it our very own Allan Walsh who remarked some years ago that if City aren't 3 nil up by half-time at home, then the fans tend to get on the players backs? I think he and Clayton (and possibly others) are absolutely right. But then again, with 30 years of underachievement/disappointment etc, maybe we've got a point?

Archived