IGNORED

Academy Starlets

Tom Fleuriot

I've heard that Johnson's told 3 of our more promising academy players that they'll never play for Bristol City. Has anyone else heard this?

I'm not after gossip, but curious as to what the reasons could be for this if others have heard it. Would it be a motivational thing that Johnson does, or is he genuinely of the belief that some of our mroe exciting talents won't make the grade? Seems a bit of a bizarre switch from offering them new contracts.

I'm not a Johnson basher, and think he's the best man for the job, and I don't believe he has a "short man" complex or issues with talented players.

Thats Gary's job, he has to tell vast number of acadamy players that they will never play for Bristol City every year.

As for the players that were offered contracts i think they were only 1 year contracts and may well not have proved themselves to earn longer deals.

If you say so. Seems a bit of an odd thing to do at the beginning of September though.

Thats Gary's job, he has to tell vast number of acadamy players that they will never play for Bristol City every year.

As for the players that were offered contracts i think they were only 1 year contracts and may well not have proved themselves to earn longer deals.

Yes, but these are presumably youngsters who were offered their first professional contracts a matter of months ago with glowing testimonies from all at the time.

If i'm reading it right, BMF is questioning what might have happened since for such an apparent turnaround in opinion.

After all, we've got a small squad, and barring injuries, you'd expect more of them to be featuring in the match day 16.

it happens.

friend from uni got a pro contract at grimsby at 18 after coming through the youth team, only to be told two months later he'd not really get the chance to play there in the forseeable future and should look at his options. he was totally gutted and left football after that season. he does freely admit he'd probably not have made the grade anyway, but it still must hurt (especially as he's a die hard grimsby fan).

managers do have to make tough decisions like that, it's their job.

Yes, but these are presumably youngsters who were offered their first professional contracts a matter of months ago with glowing testimonies from all at the time.

If i'm reading it right, BMF is questioning what might have happened since for such an apparent turnaround in opinion.

After all, we've got a small squad, and barring injuries, you'd expect more of them to be featuring in the match day 16.

Exactly - these are players that have been talked up on a par with Williams over the last year. I guess samo's example shows this happens, but I still wonder whether it's something that was done or said by them in the intervening period. But again, it could be a motivational thing from Johnson.

I guess the easiest way to work out if it's true is to see the reserve team line-up next Tuesday.

Exactly - these are players that have been talked up on a par with Williams over the last year. I guess samo's example shows this happens, but I still wonder whether it's something that was done or said by them in the intervening period. But again, it could be a motivational thing from Johnson.

I guess the easiest way to work out if it's true is to see the reserve team line-up next Tuesday.

Anything in Tony Fawthrop's sudden departure got something to do with this? :pinch:

Archived