IGNORED

Summer Clear Out.

Bow_Legged_Chicken

If we go up we clearly need to sort the team out, some of our players have been struggling to proove themselves in Div 2 so if we go up it will be a bit of a disaster.

Which players would you try to get some money from if we were to go up, if any?

Personally the first out of the door would be Peacock, make room for a goal scorer. I would get rid of the Brown brothers too. Marvin deserved more of a chance but his time has passed now and Aaron is merely Div 2 quality i think.

Butler i would get any loose change for clearly loosing it and struggling to cope with Div 2 attackers.

Hopefully with the departure of these, and the added income of being in Div 1, like extra gate reciepts, extra prize money, extra T.V money, etc. We could get a goal scorer, a quality winger and a defender.

That would do for starters. However to be a good Div 1 team i think we would need around 6 new players. So i think for the first season if we go up we would struggle, second we would be mid table, same with 3rd maybe top hovering outside playoffs. Then i think by the 4th season we could well be looking at being a well established Div 1 team looking for a playoff spot.

I would agree with that. I would also think of allowing Carey to go, as i believe Burnell is far more equipped to be a right back at div 1 level. But this depends on wheather we get ####mag back, as we will need cover for Burnell, and someone to eventually fill the right back role on a further basis, which hopefully amankwaah will do.

I would let Butler go as well, and Peacock, i think he would do ok a div 1 level, but we need a goalscorer, and as Peacock is going to be one of our highest earners, he would be the obvious choice.

I don't think a winger is much of a priority, as robbo or freezer can do a job there, but it is definately an area to look at strengthening if money is available after a striker and a central midfielder and the same for centre back.

I think a goalscorer is most important, someone with expirence would do, doesn't need to be here long, but long enough to school Miller and Lita on the finer arts of goalscoring.

I don't think we need 6 players to be a good div 1 side, but we need at least 3, division 1 is not a good league, but depending on who goes up, it could be better next season, but if wigan, WBA and Norwich go up i thi they will be replaced with pretty much the same standard of teams.

I thik we should be able to avoid relegation even if we only purchase a goalscorer, that has to be top priority, as much for the season that we would face as it is for the future, because we have 2 very good prospects in Miller and Lita, and Robbo with a descent teacher i.e a goalscorer will become adequate cover for Lita Miller in the long run.

If we go up - we would need:

1 x goalie

2 x defenders

2 x proper wingers - one either side, not just right/left sided midfielders

1 x proven goal scorer

Out ?

Butler - or do we keep as cover for 1st year ?

Peacock - or same as above ?

Brown bothers - AB has his moments but would struggle in Div 1, MB can't even get a look in.

Bell- whilst I thought Bell played quite well on tuesday, he had too to impress for a transfer or new contract - don't think he can keep it up for a season

Lita - Not breaking through in Div 2, so no way he would get a look in in Div 1, or keep as cover ?

Guest carter

god sakes leave off of leroy he the future of our success in the first you will see.

As for a summer clear out-

butler, stowell, bell

so need a centre bak ,keeper and wingers on both sides and proven scorer

we should look to ex-premier league or long time stayers in div 1 in terms players and teams like watford, bradford , derby, the dons, rotherham , walsall, reading, stoke , palace etc

all on frees or deal wtih clauses of sell on fees etc :rolleyes:

CAUTION: must go beyond r means especially if we did cum back down we dont want to be in financial terrible?

If we go up!!!

So if we don't go up, we should keep the same players? :rolleyes:

Either way, we should be looking to offload a few and try and get a few decent freebies in!!

If we go up or not i would letgo

Bell

Mathews

Peacock

Brown (m)

Amankwaah

Carey

Stowell

So 7 players out so would need

keeper to take phillips place

right back

goal scorer

right midfielder

center midfielder (who can get from box to box)

Would agree with that, mostly,but, I'd keep Kev (We have to till he's fit) and add Aaron Brown too. Kev could do a job for us as a back up man, and we could get money for Aaron too.

We would then need 1 top quality striker, one quality central midielder, to lead the midfield experienced, a couple of defenders, a central, and left sided one, one of whom could really marshall the defence, and a keeper to keep Phillips on his toes.

This on top of a relatively young, but experienced squad would keep us up, and learn from mistakes, the best way to do it, keeping their feet planted firmly on the ground, no bloody egos have landed

Guest Lockerman

I think that you are all wrong in wanting to get rid of Aaron Brown, he is still fairly young and has many superb qualities.

I agree we should get rid of:

Roberts

Butler

Bell

Mathews

Marvin Brown (think he was hyped up to much in his early days, but just hasn't got any better, he is now wasting our time and our money)

Peacock (not good enough for the First Div.)

Rumour has that a number of clubs are watching the Clayton Fortune Situation, he is a well respected player and there are a number of clubs interested in signing him.

Rumour also has it that Joe Burnell will not be signing a new contract at the end of the season, (I think that it would be a shame to lose him he is a very useful utility player)

I would like to point out that these rumours are from a very reliable source.

Stowell I think will stay on as Goalkeeping Coach,

Why you would want to get rid of Roberts is beyond me. Granted he has rarely featured this season but the guy has prooved he can score goals, can play upfront or on the wing and has great pace. If only for a 'last 20 minute' capacity of bringing him on and letting him run at tired defences he is worth keeping.

I would hold onto Butler as, although he hasnt produced the kind of form he did last year he is the only defender on the books who has genuine first division experience. People like Carey played when we went up a couple of years ago but i would definately hold onto Butler for his experience.

I would examine the Peacock situation carefully. Yes he is almost certainly one of the highest paid players at the club and it can be argued that we could 'upgrade' our front line by letting him go and brigning in a goal scoring replacement. However we should be careful in not doing what we did when we went up before and completely revamping the squad - bringing in new faces (of better ability or not) also unsettles a squad and can have an adverse effect.

Matthews has to go and surely will and ive never been a fan of Joe Burnell - especially in a midfield role so i would consider letting him go.

Apart from these 2 i dotn see the need for wholesale changes regardless of division. Someone else pointed out 'what does it matter if we get promoted - if these changes would improove the squad then they should be made' and thats exactly right.

Id keep Amankwaah as he's showed promise on the right hand side (defence and midfield) - we shouldnt let a potential talent like his go before seeing what he can do 'injury free'.

Marvin Brown is an interesting situation. He's been our potential saviour for years now and has never really come through. However having said this he's never really been given the chance - there always seems to be people above him in the pecking order so is it really worth keeping him : even though he clearly has ability?

The only 'division specific' player for me is Mickey Bell - if we dont go up id keep him, if we do id put him on the market. I think he could do a job for us in either division but I'm not sure he could hold down the left back spot, throughout a season, in division 1.

I really dont see the need, or think it beneficial to make drastic changes - it is important that we keep the core of the squad together, possibly add a goalscoring poacher, a centre back and full back and possibly (but certainly not a priority) a winger.

Archived