IGNORED

71 Players Bought In, In The Last 5 Years !

M_Porter

Adam Federici (Reading, Loan), Liam Fontaine (Fulham, £?), Wayne Hennessey (Wolverhampton Wanderers, Loan), Phil Jevons (Yeovil Town, Bosman), Lee Johnson (Hearts, Free), Jamie McAllister (Hearts, Free), Matt Reed (Un-attached, Free), Chris Weale (Yeovil Town, Bosman)

David Partridge (Motherwell, £150k), Michael Bridges (Sunderland, Free), Alex Russell (Torquay United, Bosman), Marcus Stewart (Sunderland, Free), Nathan Abbey (Un-attached, Free), Calvin Andrew (Luton Town, Loan ext.), Adriano Basso (Un-attached, Free), Rob Burch (Tottenham Hotspur, Loan ext.), Liam Fontaine (Fulham, Loan), Adam Green (Fulham, Loan), Matt Heywood (Swindon Town, Bosman), Marc Joseph (Hull City, Loan ext.), Richard Keogh (Un-attached, Free), Guy Madjo (Un-attached, Free), Mark McCammon (Brighton, Loan ext.), Jamie McCombe (Lincoln City, Nominal), David Noble (Boston United, Undisc.), James Quinn (Peterborough United, Loan), Osei Sankofa (Charlton Athletic, Loan ext.), Grant Smith (Swindon Town, Free), Kelly Youga (Charlton Athletic, Loan ext.), Tony Grant (Un-attached, Free), Bas Savage (Un-attached, Free)

Steve Brooker (Port Vale, £150k), Tony Dinning (Wigan Athletic, Loan), Scott Brown (Un-attached, Free), Louis Carey (Coventry City, Free), Jonathan Gould (Un-attached, Free), Craig Ireland (Peterborough United, Loan), Joe Keith (Colchester United, Loan), Bradley Orr (Newcastle United, Free), Jamie Smith (Un-attached, Trial), Alun Armstrong (Un-attached, Trial), Dave Cotterill (Youth, Free), Bobsam Elejiko (Westerlo, Trial), Steven Gillespie (Cheltenham Town, Loan recall), Scott Golbourne (Youth, Free), Cole Skuse (Youth, Free)

Luke Wilkshire (Middlesbrough, £250k), Paul Heffernan (Notts County, £125k), Marc Goodfellow (Stoke City, £50k), Lee Miller (Falkirk, Undisc.), Scott Murray (Reading, Undisc.), Scott Brown (Welshpool Town, £?), Darren Caskey (Notts County, Free), Steven Gillespie (Liverpool, Free), Tony Rougier (Brentford, Free), Joe Anyinsah (Youth, Free), Darren Jones (Cheltenham Town, Loan return), Lee Matthews (Yeovil Town, Loan return), Christopher Ohen (Un-attached, Trial)

Tony Butler (West Bromwich Albion, Loan ext.), Boaz Myhill (Aston Villa, Loan), Mark Robins (Rotherham United, Loan ext.), Craig Fagan (Birmingham City, Loan), Ben Foster (Stoke City, Loan), Tony Hey (Un-attached, Free), Kevin Amankwaah (Torquay United, Loan return), Marvin Brown (Torquay United, Loan return), Ben Cleverley (Forest Green Rovers, Loan return), Ian Goodison (Un-attached, Trial), Darren Hawkins (Youth, Free), Leroy Lita (Youth, Free)

A couple of questions

1/ Who is-was our best signing?

2/ Who was the biggest flop?

3/Who should still be here and not have been sold released etc?

You would think - somewhere in that mix - that one of the managers could have fashioned a promotion side from all those players...............sadly we're as far away from promotion now as we've ever been and with 20/20 hindsight the Wilson team has yet to be bettered.

It does seem that clubs like Luton Southend etc - with very small squads & limited resources have had to "work with what they've got" and it has paid off for them. Certainly a feature of the last few seasons at AG has been a summer of large numbers of players in and out together with the hype this generates and then followed by a huge anti climax.

It's worth remembering that the most successful City side in the last 50 years under Alan Dicks had a nucleus that progressed from the youth team and the team stayed fairly constant for a number of years as it built to promotion to Div 1.

Gow, Merrick, Tainton, Ritchie, Whitehead, Mann,Drysdale,Cashley , Sweeney look at any match report or programme from that era and those players played regularly for several seasons in Div 2 and onwards into Div1.

CodeRed

You would think - somewhere in that mix - that one of the managers could have fashioned a promotion side from all those players..sadly we're as far away from promotion now as we've ever been and with 20/20 hindsight the Wilson team has yet to be bettered.

It does seem that clubs like Luton Southend etc - with very small squads & limited resources have had to "work with what they've got" and it has paid off for them. Certainly a feature of the last few seasons at AG has been a summer of large numbers of players in and out together with the hype this generates and then followed by a huge anti climax.

It's worth remembering that the most successful City side in the last 50 years under Alan Dicks had a nucleus that progressed from the youth team and the team stayed fairly constant for a number of years as it built to promotion to Div 1.

Gow, Merrick, Tainton, Ritchie, Whitehead, Mann,Drysdale,Cashley , Sweeney look at any match report or programme from that era and those players played regularly for several seasons in Div 2 and onwards into Div1.

CodeRed

I agree,and it makes me sad to see that the list and the quality youth players we have produced that have now moved on.

Ok we have made some money along the way with regardes the youth,but you are right youth players growing up together etc will eventualy come good,look at man utd untill a few seasons ago there team had been together since the youth days.

As for your wilson comment again i agree,play off final apart,he was the most consistent manager we had or have had in ages,all beit a bit too defensive minded for me.

I think Ward would have taken us back up again f he had stayed but there we go.

Thanks for the reply

You would think - somewhere in that mix - that one of the managers could have fashioned a promotion side from all those players..sadly we're as far away from promotion now as we've ever been and with 20/20 hindsight the Wilson team has yet to be bettered.

CodeRed

I couldn't agree more....

Our most succesful side ever was built from within...Why do we continue to think we should 'keep' bringing in players from the outside whilst under developing and under valuing the players within our youth system/academy.

Unfortunately the pressure for instant success has led the club to consistently sign players from other teams 'that after five games are seen to be mediocre at best in many many cases' bringing us anything but instant success.

The best thing SL could do for us right now is stick his 2m for Frampton in his pocket and tell GJ to give youth a chance....In my opinion!!!

Guest zider_head

On a free/ youth the following obviously :-

Lita

Cotterill

Bridges

STEWART (But I don't think he was given a fair run, played in a crap team under Tinnion, and upset Johnson early doors, never did himself justice.

3/ Who should still be here and not have been sold released etc?

Stewart under a different mamanger maybe, If i said Lita / Cotterill etc I would be mad as money was the reason behind them moves, I think the following were either not givene a good run or should have been kept on a bit :-

Goodfellow

Robins

Roberts

A.Brown

So ?

The way forward..........no more wasting money ......go and sign up half of the Peruvian national team,or the Chilean or the South Korean or any which can rate highly enough to satisfy visa qualification.

Our purchasing over the last 20 years is as bad as any club in the entire league,only 1 in 4 signings during that period can be termed successful.

Waiting for a bunch of youngsters to bond,mature and succeed (Gow,Ritchie,Merrick,Collier,Cashley,Rogers,Whitehead,)as a group will never happen again.Neither the player or club can resist the cash.

When we started our first season in League Two, we could have put out a team with over 1,800 Yeovil Town appearances between them. People like Darren Way, Lee Johnson and Terry Skiverton had all played more than 200 games while others such as Chris Weale, Andy Lindegaard, Colin Miles and Kevin Gall had clocked up more than a century.

I bet that not many teams nowadays grow up together like that anymore. Sad that it ended really but maybe it was inevitable.

Reading the list again - and ignoring the youth players like Lita/Cotterill who were taken on as inexperienced boys (ie not really new signings from other clubs) - then the only players that have actaully been a good signing,and made any significant contributions are;

Brooker

the resigning of Carey

Noble

Orr

Fontaine

and that's about it..........jury still out on a couple of recent signings

But of the rest - for one reason or another - they havn't made much difference

If you made up asimilar list of players sold in the similar period you would have a good Championship side

says it all really

CodeRed

Reading the list again - and ignoring the youth players like Lita/Cotterill who were taken on as inexperienced boys (ie not really new signings from other clubs) - then the only players that have actaully been a good signing,and made any significant contributions are;

Brooker

the resigning of Carey

Noble

Orr

Fontaine

and that's about it..........jury still out on a couple of recent signings

But of the rest - for one reason or another - they havn't made much difference

If you made up asimilar list of players sold in the similar period you would have a good Championship side

says it all really

CodeRed

Heres the other half then -

Dave Cotterill (Wigan Athletic, £2m), Matt Heywood (Brentford, Undisc.), David Partridge (Leyton Orient, Loan), Steve Phillips (Bristol Rovers, Undisc.), Marcus Stewart (Yeovil Town, Loan), Nathan Abbey (Un-attached), Matt Reed (Un-attached), Grant Smith (Un-attached), Luke Wilkshire (Un-attached)

Leroy Lita (Reading, £1m), Danny Coles (Hull City, £200k), Joe Anyinsah (Preston North End, Undisc.), Michael Bridges (Carlisle United, Free), Clayton Fortune (Port Vale, Loan ext.), Steven Gillespie (Cheltenham Town, Loan ext.), Scott Golbourne (Reading, Undisc.), Ryan Harley (Forest Green Rovers, Loan), Richard Keogh (Wycombe Wanderers, Loan), Guy Madjo (Forest Green Rovers, Free), David Partridge (Milton Keynes Dons, Loan), Grant Smith (Walsall, Loan), Jamie Smith (Milton Keynes Dons, Free), Marcus Stewart (Preston North End, Loan), Craig Woodman (Torquay United, Loan), Chris Stokes (Bolton Wanderers, £?)

Paul Heffernan (Doncaster Rovers, £125k), Matthew Hill (Preston North End, £100k), Christian Roberts (Swindon Town, £20k), Lee Miller (Hearts, Loan), Louis Carey (Coventry City, Bosman), Tony Dinning (Port Vale, Loan), Tommy Doherty (Queens Park Rangers, Undisc.), Kevin Amankwaah (Yeovil Town, Loan ext.), Joe Anyinsah (Hereford United, Loan), Joe Burnell (Wycombe Wanderers, Bosman), Tony Butler (Blackpool, Free), Steven Gillespie (Cheltenham Town, Loan), Marc Goodfellow (Swansea City, Loan ext.), Craig Loxton (Un-attached), Lee Peacock (Sheffield Wednesday, Free), Sekani Simpson (Un-attached), Craig Woodman (Torquay United, Loan ext.), Mickey Bell (Un-attached), Clint Davies (Un-attached), Jonathan Gould (Un-attached), Callum Hart (Un-attached), Craig Ireland (Peterborough United, Loan recall)

Scott Murray (Reading, £400k), Liam Rosenior (Fulham, £55k), Kevin Amankwaah (Cheltenham Town, Loan ext.), Simon Clist (Barnet, Free), Peter Folkes (Bradford City, Free), Darren Hawkins (Bath City, Loan ext.), Robin Hulbert (Telford United, Free), Darren Jones (Forest Green Rovers, Loan ext.), Lee Matthews (Un-attached), Sekani Simpson (Forest Green Rovers, Loan), Matt Aubrey (Forest Green Rovers, Free), Scott Brown (Un-attached), Darren Caskey (Un-attached), Lee McGuire (Un-attached), Tony Rougier (Un-attached), James Turner (Un-attached)

Marvin Brown (Cheltenham Town, Loan ext.), Mark Lever (Mansfield Town, Free), Kevin Amankwaah (Torquay United, Loan), Ben Cleverley (Un-attached), Simon Clist (Torquay United, Loan ext.), Robin Hulbert (Shrewsbury Town, Loan), Darren Jones (Forest Green Rovers, Loan), Billy Mercer (Retired), Aaron Shanahan (Halesowen Town, Loan), John Burns (Carlisle United, Free), Albano Correia (Hereford United, Free), Peter Beadle (Un-attached), Craig Fagan (Birmingham City, Loan return), Tom Jordan (Un-attached), Boaz Myhill (Aston Villa, Loan return), Kayode Odejayi (Un-attached), Mark Robins (Rotherham United, Loan recall), Damien Spencer (Un-attached)

When we started our first season in League Two, we could have put out a team with over 1,800 Yeovil Town appearances between them. People like Darren Way, Lee Johnson and Terry Skiverton had all played more than 200 games while others such as Chris Weale, Andy Lindegaard, Colin Miles and Kevin Gall had clocked up more than a century.

I bet that not many teams nowadays grow up together like that anymore. Sad that it ended really but maybe it was inevitable.

Very much like City when we made the old first division (Premiership)

Gow, Gillies, Sweeney, Merrick, Collier, Tainton, Cashley-Jocks & Bristolians mainly-now that was a team

2006 Enoch Showumni :blush:

Love the list.

I thought it was about 70 in & out under Tinman & Johno alone!

Lee Miller £325k :pinch:

The big point is, of the players signed even last season, how many are still here :disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

I find myself agreeing with you (heven forbid)

But yes it supprised me the amounts of ins and out,i to thought Tins and G.J turned over more players than the list shows.

And yes The players we signed even last year have all but gone,Makes you wonder dosnt it :blink:

I find myself agreeing with you (heven forbid)

But yes it supprised me the amounts of ins and out,i to thought Tins and G.J turned over more players than the list shows.

And yes The players we signed even last year have all but gone,Makes you wonder dosnt it :blink:

I don't know about "wonder," it confirms my view that most of these "top level managers," have absolutely no concept of management & team building whatsoever.....they don't even know what/who they want

No wonder they're worried about taking proffessional qualifications :D

I've just done some rough adding up and if you look at fees paid under Tinnion & Johnson-about £250k top wack and the "mere" £4m ish we've had in + clauses to come, I think we can see a club that made a decision after DW went.

Decision was no fees, Bosmans & Frees only.

Before someone tells me about the Reddy & Hayter bids-Didn't sign did they?

Dave Cotterill£2m

Matt Heywood £50k

Steve Phillips £25k

Leroy Lita £1m

Danny Coles£200k

Joe Anyinsah £50k

Clayton Fortune £50k

Scott Golbourne £500k

Paul Heffernan £125k

Matthew Hill £100k

Christian Roberts £20k

Lee Miller £300k

Tommy Doherty £100k

Kevin Amankwaah £70k-Swansea-sell on

Scott Murray £600k

Liam Rosenior £55k)-Clause

2002 CLAUSES

Kayode Odejayi

Damien Spencer

....... the Wilson team has yet to be bettered.

Absolutely right.

Wilson improved the team year after year, had a nucleus of Bristol lads featuring every week, playing fantastic, entertaining football.

And then, supposedly because of one game, what happened?

Absolutely right.

Wilson improved the team year after year, had a nucleus of Bristol lads featuring every week, playing fantastic, entertaining football.

You are having a laugh, arent you? :blink: Obviously werent at Wycombe away that season then.. improved?????? :w00t: My @rse!!!!

bloke screwed us big time!! :ranting:

You are having a laugh, arent you? :blink: Obviously werent at Wycombe away that season then.. improved?????? :w00t: My @rse!!!!

bloke screwed us big time!! :ranting:

Actually, no he didn't. I would hardly call two consecutive top three places and gradual progression year on year 'screwing' us.

I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know that all teams suffer bad form, poor performances... and suprisingly, City are no exception.

I LOVE the fact that you refer to ONE away game at Wycombe as evidence of Wilson doing us over.

I'd happily take Wilson's team over anything we've seen since, which at the moment, includes GJ's team. Give them a few seasons together, a bit of continuity, and GJ's team could be something very special indeed. But until then, Wilson's team is the best we have had since John Ward's.

As for the actual list of ins and outs, I think its a little bit misleading in that several were unsuccessful trialists and others were loan returns.

But to answer your questions.

1. Mark Robins as mentioned before was a very good player for us. It was unfortunate his loan ran out before the play off final. Lita did very well in the season he had, and Brooker has been good value for money.

2. Take your pick. Miller, Heffernan and Gillespie failed to live up to expectations. Dinning was superb on loan, but was dreadful the second he put pen to paper on a permanent deal. If he were fit, Caskey could have been a good signing for us. Then you look at players like Youga, Quinn, Green, Joseph, Andrew and Hey, all bad loan deals.

3. I couldn't remember having Ben Foster on loan... if that is the case then he would have been more than useful between the sticks. I think Anyinsah moved to soon, but he's too similar to Jennison. Id still like to have Bridges down here personally. I think having those three still here would have given us tremendous depth. So yeah, Ben Foster, Joe Anyinsah and Michael Bridges.

Absolutely right.

We need to have a nucleus of local talent to do really well!!.

Player's who are proud of the shirt they wear, not how much they can earn, to p*** it up in town on a Saturday night!.

You can't tell me that there arn't any really good players in the Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Devon areas who wouldn't give their right arm to play for a club like City!!.

:farmer:

1. Mark Robins as mentioned before was a very good player for us. It was unfortunate his loan ran out before the play off final. Lita did very well in the season he had, and Brooker has been good value for money.

Should of signed him, regardless of the cost!!.

Look how much the Board have wasted on other so called talent!!.

:disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

• Admin

Absolutely right.

You saw a different season of games in his last season than me, most weeks I was bored stiff watching Wilson's negative tactics - It was more likely we achieved those league positions, in spite of Wilson, not because of him.

Absolutely right.

Erm we had a couple of rough years but essentially stayed put and are currently exactly where he left us in terms of league postion, whilst he descended to his present position of 18th in league 2 - one place below Bristol Rovers!

Actually, no he didn't. I would hardly call two consecutive top three places and gradual progression year on year 'screwing' us.

I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know that all teams suffer bad form, poor performances... and suprisingly, City are no exception.

I LOVE the fact that you refer to ONE away game at Wycombe as evidence of Wilson doing us over.

I'd happily take Wilson's team over anything we've seen since, which at the moment, includes GJ's team. Give them a few seasons together, a bit of continuity, and GJ's team could be something very special indeed. But until then, Wilson's team is the best we have had since John Ward's.

As for the actual list of ins and outs, I think its a little bit misleading in that several were unsuccessful trialists and others were loan returns.

The amount of money that Wilson had to spend, and also the squad of players he inherited he did screw us. He had the resources available to him to take us up 4 seasons on the trott. He did a fairly decent job of reducing the size of the squad. But take the lists back a couple of seasons and you have probably got another million or so spending from Wilson.

The fact that he was unabale to obtain promotion meant that Carey, Hill, Brown plus a few others all left. They were the nucleus of our team.

Compare that to the last two seasons and we have Tinnion who, although I thought he did a terrible job, didn't particularly spend much more than he recouped on Transfers, probably earning more through the sale of Lita. Now under Johnson we have recouped a massive amount more money than we have spent, with a squad that is not far off to being back where we were under Wilson, only a lot quicker and much much cheaper.

Fact of the matter under Wilson is that we bottled it time and again. 5 goal defeat against Blackpool, Cardiff Play-off games, Brighton.

I think the list is massively mis-leading. All those loan signings and trialists really shouldn't count. How can somebody like Alun Armstrong be considered as a signing.

Answer to the questions,

1. I think there are a few. Such as Noble, Johnson from current squad. At the time I thought Butler was a great signing. Brooker has been good value for money. Wouldn't really count Carey's re-sign, but that was good.

2. Biggest flop for me would have to be Peacock although too early for that list. Of the Players on that list I would say Partridge.

3. Kevin Amankwaah was a player that I really didn't want to see go at the time, and think that he would get into our team at RB or RW at the moment easily.

Players like Heffernan and Miller it is harsh to say they were flops as they played well a lot of the time when they were given chances, and they recouped most of the transfer money anyway.

Adam Federici (Reading, Loan), Liam Fontaine (Fulham, £?), Wayne Hennessey (Wolverhampton Wanderers, Loan), Phil Jevons (Yeovil Town, Bosman), Lee Johnson (Hearts, Free), Jamie McAllister (Hearts, Free), Matt Reed (Un-attached, Free), Chris Weale (Yeovil Town, Bosman)

David Partridge (Motherwell, £150k), Michael Bridges (Sunderland, Free), Alex Russell (Torquay United, Bosman), Marcus Stewart (Sunderland, Free), Nathan Abbey (Un-attached, Free), Calvin Andrew (Luton Town, Loan ext.), Adriano Basso (Un-attached, Free), Rob Burch (Tottenham Hotspur, Loan ext.), Liam Fontaine (Fulham, Loan), Adam Green (Fulham, Loan), Matt Heywood (Swindon Town, Bosman), Marc Joseph (Hull City, Loan ext.), Richard Keogh (Un-attached, Free), Guy Madjo (Un-attached, Free), Mark McCammon (Brighton, Loan ext.), Jamie McCombe (Lincoln City, Nominal), David Noble (Boston United, Undisc.), James Quinn (Peterborough United, Loan), Osei Sankofa (Charlton Athletic, Loan ext.), Grant Smith (Swindon Town, Free), Kelly Youga (Charlton Athletic, Loan ext.), Tony Grant (Un-attached, Free), Bas Savage (Un-attached, Free)

Steve Brooker (Port Vale, £150k), Tony Dinning (Wigan Athletic, Loan), Scott Brown (Un-attached, Free), Louis Carey (Coventry City, Free), Jonathan Gould (Un-attached, Free), Craig Ireland (Peterborough United, Loan), Joe Keith (Colchester United, Loan), Bradley Orr (Newcastle United, Free), Jamie Smith (Un-attached, Trial), Alun Armstrong (Un-attached, Trial), Dave Cotterill (Youth, Free), Bobsam Elejiko (Westerlo, Trial), Steven Gillespie (Cheltenham Town, Loan recall), Scott Golbourne (Youth, Free), Cole Skuse (Youth, Free)

Luke Wilkshire (Middlesbrough, £250k), Paul Heffernan (Notts County, £125k), Marc Goodfellow (Stoke City, £50k), Lee Miller (Falkirk, Undisc.), Scott Murray (Reading, Undisc.), Scott Brown (Welshpool Town, £?), Darren Caskey (Notts County, Free), Steven Gillespie (Liverpool, Free), Tony Rougier (Brentford, Free), Joe Anyinsah (Youth, Free), Darren Jones (Cheltenham Town, Loan return), Lee Matthews (Yeovil Town, Loan return), Christopher Ohen (Un-attached, Trial)

Tony Butler (West Bromwich Albion, Loan ext.), Boaz Myhill (Aston Villa, Loan), Mark Robins (Rotherham United, Loan ext.), Craig Fagan (Birmingham City, Loan), Ben Foster (Stoke City, Loan), Tony Hey (Un-attached, Free), Kevin Amankwaah (Torquay United, Loan return), Marvin Brown (Torquay United, Loan return), Ben Cleverley (Forest Green Rovers, Loan return), Ian Goodison (Un-attached, Trial), Darren Hawkins (Youth, Free), Leroy Lita (Youth, Free)

A couple of questions

3/Who should still be here and not have been sold released etc?

who is this? is he still with us?

Archived