IGNORED

Iron Fist

Guest Harry May

Guest Harry May

Most of us know of the legend that is Ray Cashley scoring that goal against Hull but who was the last Bristol City goal keeper to play regularly without gloves ?

I can remember Jan Moller playing with gloves and every goal keeper since . Before that my memory goes hazy . I am sure John Shaw played with gloves and I think Cashley did as well . Do we have to go back as far as Mike Gibson to find the last City 'keeper to play without gloves ?

Caldicot Red.

Most of us know of the legend that is Ray Cashley scoring that goal against Hull  but who was the last Bristol City goal keeper to play regularly without gloves ?

I can remember Jan Moller playing with gloves and every goal keeper since . Before that my memory goes hazy . I am sure John Shaw played with gloves and I think Cashley did as well . Do we have to go back as far as Mike Gibson to find the last City 'keeper to play without gloves ?

Caldicot Red.

Expect you're right Harry, we didn't get through many keepers in the 70's. between Gibson and Moller.

I can only think of Len Bond off hand and i don't know if he wore gloves or not.

Gibson, Cashley, (Bond occasionally), Shaw, then Moller wasn't it?

What about Tinman?

Dedicated goal keeping gloves are a fairly recent innovation. Probably late 70's.

Until then most keepers either didn't wear anything or else they used to wear plain cotton gloves. The determining factor was if there was moisture on the pitch. If there was then definitely wear gloves, if the pitch was dry then gloves were optional.

The early goalkeeping gloves evolved from the plain cotton ones. The early designs were cotton with rubber strips on the back and front of the fingers. Later designs also featured rubber in the palms of the gloves before the cotton gave way to latex that is the main material now.

I know that a lot of keepers in the 60's and 70's used to wear ladies cotton gloves so I suppose that you could say they were anything but hard.

I just wonder what keepers like Gibbo make of the bunches of bananas that today's keepers wear on their hands.

I believe that going back to the days when City had good goalkeepers, I reckon that Mike Gibson started the rot that changed this. The likes of Tony Cook, Con Sullivan and Syd Morgan only wore Gloves when the conditions were wet or damp.
Gibbo rarely wore gloves if memory serves . Also there was a period until Cash came along when he used to play, no matter what. I remember being sat on the railings behind the goal seeing him throw up in the back of the net, :vomit2: because he was suffering from food poisoning!!

A hard man indeed.

Gibbo rarely wore gloves if memory serves . Also there was a period until Cash came along when he used to play, no matter what. I remember being sat on the railings behind the goal seeing him throw up in the back of the net,  :vomit2: because he was suffering from food poisoning!!

A hard man indeed.

I very often see Gibbo on a Sunday morning buying his papers.

Archived