IGNORED

23/09/2005

Port Said Red

Gary Johnson came to this club 1 year ago today because he had the balls to believe he was the man to wake the so called sleeping giant of the west country. He also knew that to do it he had to ruffle a few feathers, in the team, the squad, amongst the fans, the staff and I wouldn't mind betting with the board as well.

He clearly has the hide of rhinoceros, he has upset nearly every one of the fans at some point for different reasons,(I wont bore you by telling which bits got me riled) but he is single minded in the pursuit of his declared ambition.

I wonder how much further into the revolution he would be if he hadn't had to interrupt his long term plans to firefight issues that arose at various times in the past 12 months? Some of those issues may have been avoidable, he may have actually met some of them head on to prove a point, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The main thing at the moment is that in 12 months he has taken us from relegation candidates to promotion contenders and he has done it by slowly building "a star team not a team of stars" © Graham Taylor.

There will be many on here that don't like him I'm sure, when I hear him talk on the radio he doesn't come across as a someone I would like on a personal basis myself but I think that is irrelevant when it comes to his task in hand.

After one year GJ has restored my pride in the side, those who have said constantly on here that all they really want is a team giving 100% each game or at least admitting their failure when they don't, should feel the same way.

If this squad and Management team don't give us promotion this season, it wont be for a lack of trying.

Hornbeamred 23/09/2006 Year 1

good post i agree with most of it apart from where u said that you wouldnt like him on a personal basis.. you our entitled to your opinion and i respect that but GJ comes across as a very honest man.. he talks a hell of alot of sense aswell.. i have never doubted GJ the job isnt done yet but i am confident he will do it.. only doubt is the fact steve lansdown isn't as ambitious as he makes out.. we need a chairman with a bit more ambition and we're sorted

v.good post. It was going to take a bit of time for everything to fall in place for GJ , and as you said there were situations that needed dealing head on, some people may not have agreed with the way they were dealt with, but as of now its worked. When i go to watch city every week, i want to see effort and desire(will-power as GJ would put it). And so far this season and last, it cant be faulted.

Roll on Tuesday! :city:

Well written Hornbeamred. Gary Johnson was the right managerial appointment at the right time - for once Steve Lansdown got it right !!!!! :whistle:

I've only spoken to Gary Johnson on one occasion and I just know that, unlike Pulis and Wilson before him, Johnson is the right man to take the club forward for the first time since John Ward.

Up the City

He was one of the few I didn't want to be manager when the time came round to start looking for a new manager but he won me over toward the end of last season. The times where we were in losing runs I don't blame on him, he has the right attitude.

Great post Hornbeam! You're right that progress has not been smooth and there have been some ups and downs along the way and I'm sure there will be again in the future. That's football! However, looking at the big picture things are definitely on the up. Johnson won't get everything right all the time, but nor will any manager (Anyone remember Massimo Taibi?) We're 20 places higher than a year ago and if we can be another 20 places higher this time next year, then everything will be peachy!

My big hope now is that we can combine the flair of Wilson's team with the grit and determination that Johnson is trying to instil so that if we find ourselves in another tight situation come April/May we can make sure we get over the line. A lot of people talk about the playoff final defeat but for me the key game that season was the 2nd to last against Brighton, when we were ahead of QPR in the league briefly, but drew the game 0-0 allowing them to go ahead again and consigning us to the playoffs. If Johnson can instil the right attitude to get us over the line, then success will be ours (at last). :chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez:

Yea I agree with all of the above. But I hope all of your feet are still firmly on the ground, because I don't believe we are anywhere near where we need to be to go up and stay up. But the great thing is Mr Johnson reckognises that "were not there yet."

I was one that was over the moon with Johnsons' appointment and your right in what you say because a few things have annoyed me, but he knows where he wants to go with this club and we certainly know where we want to go. Its a shame about our totally un-ambitious board but we can do this, and theres no reason why not. We have come to terms with mid-table division 3 side, so were on a level playing field now and we are going to give it a go, and I just cant wait for it to all shape up!

Here's to a decent start and hopefully a succesful season!

Good shout - for sure he's not going to please everyone all of the time so he doesn't waste time trying! - above all he has been true to his keynote speech on Day One:

"We need professional athletes not social players"

The Cosy Club: late and unlamented

Good shout - for sure he's not going to please everyone all of the time so he doesn't waste time trying! - above all he has been true to his keynote speech on Day One:

"We need professional athletes not social players"

The Cosy Club: late and unlamented

"We need professional athletes not social players" ..... I like that!

Gary Johnson came to this club 1 year ago today because he had the balls to believe he was the man to wake the so called sleeping giant of the west country. He also knew that to do it he had to ruffle a few feathers, in the team, the squad, amongst the fans, the staff and I wouldn't mind betting with the board as well.

He clearly has the hide of rhinoceros, he has upset nearly every one of the fans at some point for different reasons,(I wont bore you by telling which bits got me riled) but he is single minded in the pursuit of his declared ambition.

I wonder how much further into the revolution he would be if he hadn't had to interrupt his long term plans to firefight issues that arose at various times in the past 12 months? Some of those issues may have been avoidable, he may have actually met some of them head on to prove a point, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The main thing at the moment is that in 12 months he has taken us from relegation candidates to promotion contenders and he has done it by slowly building "a star team not a team of stars" © Graham Taylor.

There will be many on here that don't like him I'm sure, when I hear him talk on the radio he doesn't come across as a someone I would like on a personal basis myself but I think that is irrelevant when it comes to his task in hand.

After one year GJ has restored my pride in the side, those who have said constantly on here that all they really want is a team giving 100% each game or at least admitting their failure when they don't, should feel the same way.

If this squad and Management team don't give us promotion this season, it wont be for a lack of trying.

Hornbeamred 23/09/2006 Year 1

I agree with most of that. Johnson isn't here to be liked at the end of the day, as I have found out myself, but if he brings us the success we want then who cares. I, for one, do not have to particularly like a manager or players in order to support them. Johnson does not come across as the most orthodox manager in the world therefore he is bound to upset nearly all fans at some time or another. Brian Clough was never a particularly likeable person but how many Forest fans care about that (before you start I am certainly NOT comparing Johnson to Clough in terms of managerial ability).

good post i agree with most of it apart from where u said that you wouldnt like him on a personal basis.. you our entitled to your opinion and i respect that but GJ comes across as a very honest man.. he talks a hell of alot of sense aswell.. i have never doubted GJ the job isnt done yet but i am confident he will do it.. only doubt is the fact steve lansdown isn't as ambitious as he makes out.. we need a chairman with a bit more ambition and we're sorted

WHAT!!!!! :ranting: Steve Lansdown isn't ambitious!!!!! :ranting: He's only put a few MILLION £'s out of his own pocket into the club to help us out of trouble.

No that is not ambitious is it? :whistle::blink::crying:

Some people on this forum just plane amaze me with there comments on here some times. :dunno::dunno:

WHAT!!!!! :ranting: Steve Lansdown isn't ambitious!!!!! :ranting: He's only put a few MILLION £'s out of his own pocket into the club to help us out of trouble.

No that is not ambitious is it? :whistle::blink::crying:

Some people on this forum just plane amaze me with there comments on here some times. :dunno::dunno:

Come again?

What trouble were we in exactly?

Would that be the sort of trouble you get into from massively overspending?

Isn't our spending under the control of the chairman?

The only millions SL has put into this club are secured on the stadium and cover debt run up by his decisions.

I find it interesting that someone be over the moon with the appointment of Gary Johnson and then state that the board/SL is not ambitious?

kinda contradicts itself it bit? getting johnson is was an extremely ambitious move!

if we had ended up with Lennie Lawerence who was interviewed at the time then we would have every right to say he was not ambitious

Archived