IGNORED

Arsenal 0 City 1: The New Dvd

City Rocker

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but I've just bought the newly released dvd of that famous victory at Highbury in August 76. This is a must for City fans whether you remember those days or not!

I've just sat and watched in awe at the quality of the City side that day... the 40-odd thousand crowd including thousands of City... Gary Collier totally containing Arsenal's brand new super-striker Malcolm MacDonald and the City contingent chanting "What a waste of money!"... Trevor Tainton's bullet 40 yard shot drawing a desperate save from Jimmy Rimmer.... and of course Cheesley's brilliant headed goal set up by Tom Richie & Clive Whitehead...

I was only a nipper then and not up to going to away games, but watching this has brought the memories flooding back of that great side and those wonderful four years ****il it all went tits up!).

Made me realise how much I want to see City back up there and sample it all again. Can it happen? Well if the likes of Charlton, Reading and Wigan can get there and do OK, why can't we?

Anyway, go buy this dvd, it's incredible. And no, I don't work for BCFC Media Dept in case you're wondering! :)

has anyone else actually bought this yet? thinking of getting it but you never know with the quality of some of these older matches? it's it a bit fuzzy or very good quality?

£10 sounds a bargain for this peace of history, but is it worth the money?

agree Coventy DVD would be a great release was there for that what a game! what a day!

has anyone else actually bought this yet? thinking of getting it but you never know with the quality of some of these older matches? it's it a bit fuzzy or very good quality?

£10 sounds a bargain for this peace of history, but is it worth the money?

agree Coventy DVD would be a great release was there for that what a game! what a day!

I would think that the Arsenal match would be good (not brilliant) quality as it was the main game on the Big Match - there are some highlights on the video archive section of BCFC world and it looks pretty good complete with Brian Moore commentary.

The Coventry game is a different case. It was not a featured game for BBC or ITV and the only footage that seems to exist is a very grainy "local HTV news" minute or 2 of highlights - this might even be tagged on to the Arsenal DVD as I think there are other match highlights.

Again, there is, or certainly was, a section on BCFC World that featured what litle film of Coventry there was along with a few other games that season (including the famous 2-1 win over Liverpool from a few days before).

£10 does sound a bargain though, will be getting mine next time I can get to the shop.

The quality is excellent, digitally remastered. OK no it's not the full 90 minutes, it's the highlights as shown on the Big Match at the time, complete with LWT intro, Big Match title credits and Brian Moore doing his 'to camera' thing in the studio. I guess you get about 15-20 minutes of the match - but it's all City, playing them off the park! Afterwards you get Brian Moore interviewing a shy and modest Paul Cheesley.

Then you get the extra features: Roger Malone interviewing Alan Dicks some years later (late 80's I would think), Cheesley again interviewed recently and 'Flashback for the Fans - 1976' presented unfortunately and annoyingly by Jed 'Twаt' Pitman.

Despite the Pitman let-down it's a good package and well worth a tenner of any cidered's money :)

Edited to add: My reason for posting this thread was to hopefully ensure as many people as possible buy it, so that it is commercially viable for the club to continue to put these 'Gold Series' dvds out. I'd already bought the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy Final a couple of months back. I just hope it's well supported so that they keep on churning out the classics!

Archived