IGNORED

80 Points

Loderingo

How many points do you think it will take for automatic promotion this year?

Four years ago we got 83 points and were third. Last year Southend were Champions with 82 while Colchester were promoted with 79.

This league seems to be so close together with most teams very similar. Can anyone see any team apart from ourselves and Forest who could reach the 80 point mark?

I think 80 points ought to do for us (although we obviously want more). Our current return of 26 from 14 would give us a final total of 85 if continued all the way through the season

• Admin

How many points do you think it will take for automatic promotion this year?

Four years ago we got 83 points and were third. Last year Southend were Champions with 82 while Colchester were promoted with 79.

This league seems to be so close together with most teams very similar. Can anyone see any team apart from ourselves and Forest who could reach the 80 point mark?

I think 80 points ought to do for us (although we obviously want more). Our current return of 26 from 14 would give us a final total of 85 if continued all the way through the season

I must admit that as each game goes by my confidence grows further. I reckon if we reach 85 points this year then that will easily be enough to finish top 2.

Having looked at last season's equivalent tables after 14 games and the final table this morning, it really was a strange season. You had Southend on 27 points (who went on to finish Champions, picking up just 1.7 points per game for the remainder) and Huddersfield on 30 points (who went on to finish in the play-offs, picking up a paltry 1.3 ppg!)

Looking at our remaining fixtures, it really looks like we have a decent run from now with a lot of the tougher opponents already having been faced "away".

Going with Johnson's "block of 10" system, we picked up 18 from the first 10 and now have 8 pts from the opening 4 of the second block. Of the next 6 fixtures we have 3 tough away trips where I would be happy with (& expect us to come home from with) a point - Forest, Yeovil & Swansea. Then the 3 home fixtures look very winnable - Doncaster, Gillingham & Carlisle. That would mean we collected 20 points from the second block.

1.73 ppg for the remaining 26 games would then see us match Southend's Championship winning tally.

Of the teams chasing, I can see Swansea & Crewe moving up into the top 4, Swansea especially when they get the likes of Trundle & Akinfenwa back available for selection.

Me and my Dad have ahd many conversations aobut points tallys etc and this is what will GUARANTEE you promotion altohugh i havnt actually looked at the statistics for anythnig apart from last 6 years.

Basically....

teams that go up normally do this....

1.Win over half of their league games

2.Average 2 or more points a game(Win at home and draw away on average)

3. Lose no more than 10 games in the league

Obviously there are exceptions to this but as a genral rule of 46 games this takes u up, obviously u can lose more than 10 games and stil get 92 points(the 2 point a game average)

• Admin

Me and my Dad have ahd many conversations aobut points tallys etc and this is what will GUARANTEE you promotion altohugh i havnt actually looked at the statistics for anythnig apart from last 6 years.

Basically....

teams that go up normally do this....

1.Win over half of their league games

2.Average 2 or more points a game(Win at home and draw away on average)

3. Lose no more than 10 games in the league

Obviously there are exceptions to this but as a genral rule of 46 games this takes u up, obviously u can lose more than 10 games and stil get 92 points(the 2 point a game average)

I wouldn't say "normally". In fact, in the last 5 seasons (the tables bcfc.co.uk archive) only 2 of the 10 automatically promoted sides have achieved this level of points. 8 have not.

This comment is both extremely arrogant and contradictive!!

How can you comment that the league is very close, with similar teams and then ask if any other teams besides yourselves and Forest can accumalate 80 points?

If you were to lose to Forest on saturday 2-0, and Yeovil beat Oldham 1-0 (both possible results) you would be third behind Yeovil in the league!!

Whilst all this is hypothetical, it is far too early, and the league far too tight (8 points seperating 12 teams) to make such remarks!! IMO

I personally believe you should get promoted come May, and believe you could hold your own in the Championship, but feel comments showing such arrogance could bring a smile to a lot of faces of people like myself if you should fail.

My point is enjoy how your team are doing, but have a little respect for other teams!!

How can you comment that the league is very close, with similar teams and then ask if any other teams besides yourselves and Forest can accumalate 80 points?

If you were to lose to Forest on saturday 2-0, and Yeovil beat Oldham 1-0 (both possible results) you would be third behind Yeovil in the league!!

Whilst all this is hypothetical, it is far too early, and the league far too tight (8 points seperating 12 teams) to make such remarks!! IMO

I personally believe you should get promoted come May, and believe you could hold your own in the Championship, but feel comments showing such arrogance could bring a smile to a lot of faces of people like myself if you should fail.

My point is enjoy how your team are doing, but have a little respect for other teams!!

Totally agree. We have seen too many false dawns to get carried away.

Arrogance is an unpleasant trait; smacks too much of Premiership tossbags. Please desist, red swarm.

neiltheglover you are entirely correct and it is this sort of attitude that has seen City continue to struggle to get promoted season after season. By that arrogant way of thinking we must be guaranteed promotion! lets all celebrate now!! On a more serious note there is no reason why a team such as yeovil should be written off, the more i watch footie the more i think it is about team spirit and being organised as a team and not aobut individuals or club status.

And in refrence to my earlier post, i kno 92 points is a little higher than has been needed in the past(i think WIgan and Plymouth are the only teams to get higher than 92 although i may be wrong about Plymouth) it is jsut the sort of target to aim for if we are to win promotion.

And in refrence to my earlier post, i kno 92 points is a little higher than has been needed in the past(i think WIgan and Plymouth are the only teams to get higher than 92 although i may be wrong about Plymouth) it is jsut the sort of target to aim for if we are to win promotion.

To be honest i personally would just look at the next 3 points, but saying that, i think the 10 game theory used by a certain ex-Yeovil manager also makes sense............the higher the target you aim for in regards to points, the harder it would seem if you were to drop a few! IMO

In any case, in a league this tight, with teams taking points off each other, may result in a low points total for the eventual promoted teams. I reckon instead of aiming for 80 points, aim for first or second!!

:juggle:

I wasn't writing off other teams but asking which could become challengers. Certainly some of the pre-season favourites such as Swansea, Hudds and Donny haven't impressed yet. Yeovil have had a very good run and I don't begrudge them that but Neil do you seriously think you're lads can mount a serious and sustained auto promotion challenge? I think we're all in agreement that the league is much closer this year and someone could sneak an auto place with say 78 or 79 if us or Forest **** up. I look forward to our match at HP, especially without a certain MS to help you out!

are you for real :farmer: without our help [stewart ] you would be mid table :banana:

are you for real without our help [stewart ] you would be mid table

What????

I have made no remarks about how well Yeovil are doing other than to say that the league is so tight if we beat Oldham, and you lose to forest than we would be above you.

This was not said with arrogance, but as a point of fact.

Also i am well aware that MS is having a huge effect in putting us where we currently are in the league, but we are also helping his career as we have helped Gary Johnson, Lee johnson, Chris Weale and Jevo.Thats football and as a football fan,aswell as a Yeovil fan, i accept this and move on!!

we only have a 3 point lead on third and beyond that this league is still WIDE open.

to be honest if we survive the nest 5 league games unbeaten i will be more than happy, as all the away games are tough and the home games are against teams who can put in a performance if needs be.

just remember swansea last term. looked dead certs till a total collapse and failure. plus after being something like 12 points clear early on last year sheffield united scraped into the premiership by the skin of their teeth.

PS i think yeovil have every chance this term. i hear they old manager left them a pretty decent legacy... ;)

I think the arrogance (better call it optimism) stems from the fact that we're second despite not really hitting top form (OK Saturday and Chesterfield were pretty good) whilst also having injuries and jail sentences! I feel there is a lot more to come - we're going to really clobber someone soon when it all ticks. A hat-trick from Jevo is on the cards. :dance:

Archived