IGNORED

Poor Buys

Topbuzz

Whilst being thankful to the board for stumping up the dosh to buy 3 players ,ive gotta question our scouting .

Lee Miller- Tries his hardest but is just out of his depth ..how we decided to go for him il never know £300k could of bought us a proven scorer goalscrorer not a lightweight 1 for the future

Luke Wilkshire -Ok a good central midfielder but werent we supposed to be replacing scotty ..money not well spent

Marc Goodfellow-Probably the best buy of the 3 ..apart from not having a right foot i think he will go on to be a star for us on the left but still werent we supposed to be replacing scotty

This has gotta be questioned :D

This has gotta be questioned
like just about every other aspect of Danny Wilson's management. I find him completely baffling personally, and my only consolation if we don't get promoted is that, hopefully, he will have the decency to walk away. The machine that picks the national lottery numbers would, by the law of averages, probably pick a better team than him on more occasions, and at least we wouldn't get No 12 EVERY week!

Guest pentlandsl

I disagree.

Lee Miller was always going to take a time to adjust to the second division as he was playing the equivalent of Rymans league football, where he scored plenty of goals. He is starting to do that now and looks increasing dangerous in front of goal. His commitment is far greater than our other 'striker' Lee Peacock. He will prove to be a good buy.

Luke Wilkshire is a quality player whose major problem is that he is 'too good' for the City team at times. He sees moves that should be made by quality players but unfortunately the players around him are either to slow or incapable of capitalising on his passes and through balls. With better players around him he could easily be the ideal Tinnion replacement.

Marc Goodfellow is a great buy, his pace and willingness to take on players will create chances and he will score goals - I consider him better than Scott Murray, who for me was a one-season wonder that we did well to sell for what we did.

The biggest problem is getting Danny Wilson to drop his favourites and give the new players he's bought extended 90 minute runs. I would play all of them from the start of a match with Leroy Lita replacing Lee Peacock and partnering Lee Miller.

Guest Spike

its easy to say they were poor buys but honestly who else could we have bought....

I'm sure you can name names but you forget that Wilson has to pursuade another manager to give up his player for a low fee (because £300k isnt anything these days and then has to persuade the player why he should come to a club that season after season just miss out on getting into division 1

Buying players isnt just a case of find the name and sign him.... you also have to remember thier private lives have alot to do with moving to another club

I think Goodfellow and Wilkshire are good buys but need time to get better.

and can we please stop with this insulting our manager ####

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass

I agree. Goodfellow is class, fast, skillful and one of the onlt players who takes people on. But Wilson dosn't play him from the Start! Why?

I agree with straightthrough118 that Wilson's signings have not been good enough.

I still wonder what games people watch when I hear comments like "Wilkshire is sometimes too good for us" and "Goodfellow is better than Murray"

Wilkshire is NOT good enough for us, and yet I still hear things like "he will make the Premiership one day" he's been lightweight, slow, and just generally poor for City in most games this season, he always takes too many touches and slows down attacks too often, people says hes a superb attacking midfielder but Graham Kavangh is in a different league to him, and he's not playing Premiership football.

Miller looks a decent player but in my eyes lacks alot of pace and will not score enough goals, maybe that will change in the future, but when I see us pay 300k when Leon Knight joined Brighton at the start of the season for 100k and Tommy Mooney went to Swindon for nothing, it looks like a poor investment to me.

Marc Goodfellow started off superbly, but has looked terrible recently, I personally think he'll do well on the left instead of Aaron, as most do on here, but saying that the 12 minutes he did play on the left, he did absolutley nothing yesterday.

but saying that the 12 minutes he did play on the left, he did absolutley nothing yesterday.
You could hardly do anything with the ball on the floor yesterday, whenever Brown/Roberts/ Goodfellow tried to run at someone the ball would bobble and cpntrol is easily lost of the ball.

Miller is fantastic in the air, but he doesnt get enough crosses in the box, and when he does get crosses often they are not good enough, which is where we need Goodfellow to prove his true worth for us on either flank.

I am astonished when some on this post say who else could Wilson have bought.Then how do Swindon have Parkin and Mooney and QPR Thorpe and Cureton as far as my memory serves me Abramovich has not been involved with their transfer kitty. Murray scored 20 plus goals for us and I presume that with the money they gave Wilson they expected a repacement who would go some way to achieving this.Yes I believe Miller is one for the future but his goal scoring is limited at this stage.As for Wilkshire he reminds me of an Aussie version of Matt hewlett but slower.If we fail to go up can the Board trust Wilson with more money?

They are poor buys because NONE of them are right sided midfield players and we desperately need one. As we don't have a single one in the club.

He needs to buy/loan one pretty sharpish.

Whilst being thankful to the board for stumping up the dosh to buy 3 players ,ive gotta question our scouting .

The buying of players is down to the manager. He decided they were players he wanted to spend his transfer budget on, it's nothing to do with scouting.

Unless, of course. the manager buys these players on the say so of someone else, without watching them himself, but that would be foolish, surely...

Guest bemmyred

The only reason Goodfellow scored with his right foot against Wycombe and Colchester Jono was that he was put in the situation where he had no other option than to use his RIGHT foot !!!

I thought Tommy Mooney was superb against us earlier in the season, he would have been a much better acquision than Miller. Miller will be a good player for the future, but I want us to go up this year and how can anyone say Scott Murry was a one season wonder, Goodfellow in my opinion is a bit lightwieght, cant tackle to save his life but I think Wilkshire would be a good player in the 1st Div.

Guest butterflybairn
I disagree.

Lee Miller was always going to take a time to adjust to the second division as he was playing the equivalent of Rymans league football, where he scored plenty of goals.

take offence to that mate and find it incredibly patronising to the professional footballers Miller was playing with at Falkirk. you lot are sitting there second top of the league saying how #### you've been all season yet are still in with a chance of the title. what exactly does it say about the standard of your league? :clap:

Lee Miller was in a team last season that would have beaten any one of the teams in the English 2nd division. Success came through a 3-5-2 system with two flying wing backs putting in quality crosses. in addition we had a top quality experienced poacher playing off Miller along with attacking midfielders all with an eye for goal themselves. You get quality balls into the box for Miller and he will score. Maybe the problem is not your signings but your managers inability to find a system to suit his players? :clap:

You get quality balls into the box for Miller and he will score. Maybe the problem is not your signings but your managers inability to find a system to suit his players?  :clap:
Spot on... Playing players out of position doesn't help either!

Playing players out of position doesn't help. Wilson hoped that Wilkshire could do the job on the right replacing Murray but he can't. Miller is getting better all the time. Goodfellow needs to be put in 1 position but where is it? After establishing that Wilkshire can't play on the right he should buy/loan someone. (Murray?)

Lee Miller was always going to take a time to adjust to the second division as he was playing the equivalent of Rymans league football, where he scored plenty of goals.  He is starting to do that now and looks increasing dangerous in front of goal.  His commitment is far greater than our other 'striker' Lee Peacock.  He will prove to be a good buy.

Luke Wilkshire is a quality player whose major problem is that he is 'too good' for the City team at times.  He sees moves that should be made by quality players but unfortunately the players around him are either to slow or incapable of capitalising on his passes and through balls.  With better players around him he could easily be the ideal Tinnion replacement.

Marc Goodfellow is a great buy, his pace and willingness to take on players will create chances and he will score goals - I consider him better than Scott Murray, who for me was a one-season wonder that we did well to sell for what we did.

The biggest problem is getting Danny Wilson to drop his favourites and give the new players he's bought extended 90 minute runs.  I would play all of them from the start of a match with Leroy Lita replacing Lee Peacock and partnering Lee Miller.

Lee Miller was always going to take a time to adjust to the second division as he was playing the equivalent of Rymans league football, where he scored plenty of goals.

So if we'd signed him from the Rymans League for £325k plus £40k add ons, you's be pleased with that would you??

He was signed to replace Roberts who didn't score enough goals :clap:

Roberts (and I'm no fan) got 18 last year. Miller's got 9 so far!!!

He is starting to do that now and looks increasing dangerous in front of goal. His commitment is far greater than our other 'striker' Lee Peacock. He will prove to be a good buy.

From your mouth to Gods Ears son, because I can't see it

Luke Wilkshire is a quality player whose major problem is that he is 'too good' for the City team at times. He sees moves that should be made by quality players but unfortunately the players around him are either to slow or incapable of capitalising on his passes and through balls. With better players around him he could easily be the ideal Tinnion replacement.

In central midfield, yes, but DW's playing him on the wing, because Goodfellows an out and out winger, a chicken and can't track back very well.Sad but true.

He was a one and a half season wonder......but he was right footed!

The biggest problem is getting Danny Wilson to drop his favourites and give the new players he's bought extended 90 minute runs. I would play all of them from the start of a match with Leroy Lita replacing Lee Peacock and partnering Lee Miller.

Yes, but DW won't AND HE SIGNED THEM ALL!!!!

So what does that tell you about DW???

Archived