IGNORED

Spring Forward, Fall Back!

Avonmouth Docker

Remember;

Don't Forget! British Summer Time comes to an end this weekend (2003).

Remember to put your clocks BACK one hour before you go to bed on Saturday night.

Greenwich Mean Time is no longer used

If you are really keen to get the time just right, you can stay up until 1 am on Sunday and make the change then.

At that time, we will change not to Greenwich Mean Time but to Universal Time. Greenwich Mean Time was a scale of time measurement based on the apparent motion of the 'mean' Sun with respect to the 0 degrees line of longitude, the meridian, based at the Old Observatory at Greenwich.

Unfortunately the orbit of the Earth around the Sun is 'eccentric'. In other words it is variable. This is far from ideal when we are seeking a constant way of measuring time.

As long ago as 1925 the International Astronomical Union was proposing a form of Universal Time, one which was less affected by the variations in the eccentricities of the Earth's orbit.

By the 1960s the new scale was based on atomic time, using emissions from caesium atoms as its point of reference. The scale is now known as Coordinated Universal Time and has become more widely accepted than GMT.

Whatever you call the change in clock time, remember to make the most of that extra hour.

:farmer:

I hate this because in work they have told us that tonight in work we have to finish at are normal time (4am) so that means I have to work a extra hour. Not happy but if we get Rovers at the Gate in the FA cup today that will make up for it.

I hate this because in work they have told us that tonight in work we have to finish at are normal time (4am) so that means I have to work a extra hour. Not happy but if we get Rovers at the Gate in the FA cup today that will make up for it.

Did away to York make it too?

Archived