IGNORED

Scores Told To Us At Ag

dezgimed

Ive only been going to games for the last 4 years, however one thing has remained consistently poor and quite simply, amateurish.

Why is it that the scores displayed on the score board at half time are always:

A) Wrong

B) Different to the scores read out over the tanoy a minute later

Also why are the scores read out at about 4.55 on the tanoy always 90% wrong?!

Is it really so difficult to just copy full time scores from Sky Sports Soccer Saturday? Because they have every full time result as they finish, about 5 minutes before our announcer gives us crap like

'Chesterfield 1 - 0 Yeovil'..

:grr:

Petty but irritating!

Scores are given out as quickly as possible and are always announced as latest scores.

Remember that not all scores come through at the correct time. The club could wait until EVERY game has finished and then give out the full time scores but by that time there would be no-one left in the stadium.

So, as soon as the City game finishes LATEST scores are taken from BBC or Sky Sports. There is always a slight lag as it takes time to print the scores, get them to the PA announcer and for him to give them out (there are other bits and bobs he has to read out immediately after the game too).

On Saturday the Yeovil game WAS 1-0. This score was given out as a latest score and very quickly afterwards was corrected to give the full time score of 1-1.

As for scores being wrong- this is VERY rare and will either be a result of wrong information being given by the media or human error. I would be as bold as to suggest this may happen once or twice a season that the wrong score is given out. Late goals, however, do change the scoreline and I have explained this above.

Scores are given out as quickly as possible and are always announced as latest scores.

Remember that not all scores come through at the correct time. The club could wait until EVERY game has finished and then give out the full time scores but by that time there would be no-one left in the stadium.

So, as soon as the City game finishes LATEST scores are taken from BBC or Sky Sports. There is always a slight lag as it takes time to print the scores, get them to the PA announcer and for him to give them out (there are other bits and bobs he has to read out immediately after the game too).

On Saturday the Yeovil game WAS 1-0. This score was given out as a latest score and very quickly afterwards was corrected to give the full time score of 1-1.

As for scores being wrong- this is VERY rare and will either be a result of wrong information being given by the media or human error. I would be as bold as to suggest this may happen once or twice a season that the wrong score is given out. Late goals, however, do change the scoreline and I have explained this above.

I knew that Yeovil was 1-1 before we'd finished our game, so why did the PA not?

One of my biggest pet hates at AG is the consistantatly bad scoreline information we are fed.

The scores are always wrong, woefully so infact. All it takes is for someone to sit with the wireless mic in the media room and looking at sportinglife.com.

If I can get the scores on my phone directly and up to the minute (wap.livescore.com) there is no excuse for the continual misleading information that blurts out of the tannoy at 4.50 every match.

Hell if they can't arange it, give me the mic at FT and I'll give the crowd the right scores.

I knew that Yeovil was 1-1 before we'd finished our game, so why did the PA not?

One of my biggest pet hates at AG is the consistantatly bad scoreline information we are fed.

The scores are always wrong, woefully so infact. All it takes is for someone to sit with the wireless mic in the media room and looking at sportinglife.com.

If I can get the scores on my phone directly and up to the minute (wap.livescore.com) there is no excuse for the continual misleading information that blurts out of the tannoy at 4.50 every match.

Hell if they can't arange it, give me the mic at FT and I'll give the crowd the right scores.

Scores are taken from the internet or TV. Perhaps sportinglife.com is quicker than those used at the moment but I maintain that not all scores can be given out 100% accurately. Perhaps you did know that the Yeovil score was 1-1. Perhaps the news feed the club used on that day was slightly slower.

As I said the scores are out as soon as possible. Perhaps on Saturday the League 1 scores were written down first, then the other scores and by the time they'd all been taken down it had changed. And by the way- the printer in there takes ages to print so manual is quicker.

Just to clarify- there is clearly going to be some time lag between the goal going in, the media updating it, the club receiving the update, writing it down, getting it to the PA announcer and him having a chance to read it out. For this reason the club can not wait for all games to finish before taking down the scores because if they did there would be no-one left in the stadium to hear them anyway.

Finally as before- the club give out the scores as latest scores and not results. Surely people realise that late goals can be scored?

Scores are taken from the internet or TV. Perhaps sportinglife.com is quicker than those used at the moment but I maintain that not all scores can be given out 100% accurately. Perhaps you did know that the Yeovil score was 1-1. Perhaps the news feed the club used on that day was slightly slower.

As I said the scores are out as soon as possible. Perhaps on Saturday the League 1 scores were written down first, then the other scores and by the time they'd all been taken down it had changed. And by the way- the printer in there takes ages to print so manual is quicker.

Just to clarify- there is clearly going to be some time lag between the goal going in, the media updating it, the club receiving the update, writing it down, getting it to the PA announcer and him having a chance to read it out. For this reason the club can not wait for all games to finish before taking down the scores because if they did there would be no-one left in the stadium to hear them anyway.

Finally as before- the club give out the scores as latest scores and not results. Surely people realise that late goals can be scored?

Pete this isn't a dig at you, but usually the scores are given out when the majority of the crowd have left. Usually its just the Dolman stand that gets to hear the scores.

What I'm saying is why is it not possible for the PA to sit infront of the screen in the media room and read them off the screen.

If the microphone reception is bad, then there is a wireless signal in the media boxes I believe and it can be clealry used for this.

I can tell you that nearly every week 2-3 scores in our division are incorrect at H/T & F/T.

It's picky, but it would be nice if they actually got them right thats all :clapping:

Alternatively gather round Tom and his fancy dan ding dong telewap phone....which kind of begs the question why you are so upset about them giving out incorrect scores?? Surely it just encourages more people to talk to you Tom??

The point is being informative and efficient at the same time.

The announcer said Yeovil were losing at the exact same time some bloke with a radio said its 1-1.

I'm sure 5live don't have League 1 scores instantly so why the discrepency?

Its just poor.

The point is being informative and efficient at the same time.

The announcer said Yeovil were losing at the exact same time some bloke with a radio said its 1-1.

I'm sure 5live don't have League 1 scores instantly so why the discrepency?

Its just poor.

5live (the BBC) have commentators at every ground around the country. Bristol City do not- and so rely on the likes of the BBC, Sky and other news information. Short of putting the microphone next to the radio and playing the radio over the PA system there will clearly be some delay.

Alernatively, just give out thse results that are confirmed as final scores.

This is a possibility, although I personally think people would prefer as much information as possible (ie all the latest scores) but perhaps not.

Just think we'd get many people walking away from the ground saying "I never heard the latest score from Yeovil"- at least giving a latest score allows people to discuss it "last I heard they were losing 1-0" etc

5live (the BBC) have commentators at every ground around the country. Bristol City do not- and so rely on the likes of the BBC, Sky and other news information. Short of putting the microphone next to the radio and playing the radio over the PA system there will clearly be some delay.

Yeh but goal announcements on 5live come within about 5 minutes of them being scored due to other things being reported, on SoccerSaturday/Score goal flashes are almost instant.

Why cant 5live just be played over the tanoy then in any case?

Pete this isn't a dig at you, but usually the scores are given out when the majority of the crowd have left. Usually its just the Dolman stand that gets to hear the scores.

What I'm saying is why is it not possible for the PA to sit infront of the screen in the media room and read them off the screen.

If the microphone reception is bad, then there is a wireless signal in the media boxes I believe and it can be clealry used for this.

I can tell you that nearly every week 2-3 scores in our division are incorrect at H/T & F/T.

It's picky, but it would be nice if they actually got them right thats all :clapping:

Tom, I'm not taking it as a dig.

The PA announcer needs to be pitchside (or within the stadium) to see the players off and see and hear what's going on (yes, even after the game has finished).

I am not sure of the possibilities of the press box but I am not sure if there is space up there or if the club can find a computer to put up there that quickly- besides, there is a risk off too many cooks here. The PA announcer is pitch side (to give out subs), there is a man in the PA box with music who is in contact with the police box in case emergency information needs to be given out. Add a third person with the possibility to speak over the tannoy system and it could be very messy. Maybe it would be possible but it won't be simple.

And no matter where you put the announcer there will be a certain delay as extra information needs to be given out too (eg reminders of ticket arrangements, attendance, MOM [if not already given] etc).

So yes, if we can find a way of having the PA announcer directly in front of a screen or mobile it would possibly increase speed and accuracy of scores. But this is not simple and as I said- by the time the scores have come through (small lag due to media) plus they have been written or printed (small lag), given to the announcer and he has finished what he is saying anyway (small lag) and then he has run through the list from top to bottom (small lag- it takes time to actually read through them) this all adds up to a far bigger lag.

Possibly cutting down some of the post-match info would help. Will look in to possibilities but do think there is always a conflict between giving accurate full times and getting the information out quickly enough. The stadium does empty very quickly.

Anyway, will discuss it with a few people and get back to you.

While I have a think about how this could be improved (I will try to take a note of exactly what scores are given out and assess how accurate or otherwise we are in future weeks) I would be interested in knowing what is most important to people- speed or accuracy. Would you prefer latest scores given out quickly after the City game has finished, scores given out later (but more of them will be full times or less likely to change) or would you prefer to just have final scores given out at the final whistle (this would limit the number of games the club could give information for).

Archived