IGNORED

Mentality

Lordofthebling

Now, I've never been injured (touch wood) playing football or even played in goal - but I was wondering what kind of mental state players can find themselves in the first time a 50/50 challenge comes up or a high ball comes across that needs punching.

This is in relation to Chris Weales long lay off in case you think I have gone mad...

bust my leg in 2 places and tore some ligaments before when playing football (16 at the time)

didnt play again till after 14 months it went through my mind at the start when warming up but as soon as we started playing i didnt think about it

so think when weale starts a game he will be ok just bit nervous before hand

• Admin

Now, I've never been injured (touch wood) playing football or even played in goal - but I was wondering what kind of mental state players can find themselves in the first time a 50/50 challenge comes up or a high ball comes across that needs punching.

This is in relation to Chris Weales long lay off in case you think I have gone mad...

I think Weale's injury was from an innocuous attempted clearance.

I kind of hope he isn't effected mentally from this as it would be pretty dangerous to bottle out of unchallenged backpasses ;)

know what you mean about mentality with injuries, years ago mate of mine played in goal for our school team and then sunday team and he went into a challenge 50/50 nothing dirty, but came out of it with a shattered leg, which ended up being pinned and all sorts of what have you.

anyway.......when he finally returned to action just over a year later he just wasn't the same and basically bottled any 50/50 situations and just wouldn't come off his line, since then he has only every played at pro5 where basically if anyone comes in his box then get a punch..........so short answer yes think sometimes they do suffer mentally, however thankfully Weale's injury wasn't in a collision I believe so hopefully shouldn't be a problem,

Think the biggest City related injury where mentally they were not the same was Ivan few years ago, was renowned for his tough tackling after injury he just wasn't the same.

Keith Welch comes to mind.

He was never the same after that injury.

Archived