IGNORED

Last Night

Tom Fleuriot

I think we all need to remember two things that are highlighted in this report.

1.JMW is an inexperienced kid and, ala Lita, will need to be rested and, for me, particularly away, that would be Saturday with a move to the bench.Scott Browns injury makes that more difficult.

2.The solution to the left side, now that he's fit and moreover, match fit, is McAllister.He adds defensive bite , leadership, balance & would combine well, given time with Woodman who is a more than capable left back.I think he could also create chances with pinpoint crosses witness Murrays goal v Crewe and Wrights miss on Saturday v Doncaster.

Yep, agree with most of the linked report. JMW certainly needs a rest as he was very poor last night - he rarely took on the full back when he had plenty of opportunities to do so.

In general we played ok, although were sloppy in posession at times. I think part of the reason for that was the almost surreal atmosphere at the game. Only 1 stand was open and most of the fans there didn't seem to care too much about the result, which surely translated onto the pitch. The game resembled more a reserve game or pre-season friendly than a "competitive" mid-season encounter.

Anyway, 1st cup win in exactly 2 years (so I'm told), so altogether a successful evening.

First the bad news - There were some shocking decisions by the back four in the first half and JMW just didnt look interested.

But, despite being second best for most of the match, we were able to step up a few gears when it mattered and looked comfortable at the end.

Still not sure about this idea of playing McAllister in midfield though. He's playing very well at left-back, lets not mess about with the areas of our team which ARE performing !

I was a bit worried by Fontaine myself, didnt look anythig like the player from last season...

MOTM for me was Russell - he played really well and seemed up for the game.

Keogh just is not a right back, but he linked up quite well with Wright - who had an excellent game putting in a few stunning crosses.

Jevons and Corr looked average, which is an indication of where our shots were coming from last night - Noble and Russell.

Basso had a good game, but a couple of crazy kicks!

Agree with most of the comments elswhere, except McCombe. I thought he was vulnerable against pace.

I think thats been obvious since day one. But how many strikers in this division will push him to this test?

Basso had a good game, but a couple of crazy kicks!

Agreed, Basso made 2 or 3 great saves. Can only remember 1 semi-dodgy kick but may be wrong.

Leyton Orient were/are a poor side and I can see why they are down there (I didn't see the league game at the Gate earlier in the season so can't compare their performance with yesterday's). Their wingers showed 1 or 2 nice touches here and there, but when we actually concentrated and upped our game, we were clearly better than them.

I was reasonably impressed with Wright, and wouldn't mind him sticking around for a while. He had some nice runs and touches and while he drifted out of the game for periods, name me a winger who doesn't!

Still not sure about this idea of playing McAllister in midfield though. He's playing very well at left-back, lets not mess about with the areas of our team which ARE performing !

Good point and that's the downside of doing it.

Question is, does that outweigh the plus side, particularly with Brown injured and JMW tiring :dunno: We could switch SM to the left and bring in Wright........er, on the right :unsure:

Spot on. we need him at left back. Interesting that Jennison had a poorer game but when playing on left flank rather than up front. He definitely looks better up front. he does prob need a rest though which does leave us weak on the left side. For me, Id play Scott Murray there and persevere with wright on the right.

I think Corr can do a job for us and I saw quite good signs that he could link well with Jevo

. Interesting that Jennison had a poorer game but when playing on left flank rather than up front. He definitely looks better up front. he does prob need a rest though which does leave us weak on the left side. For me, Id play Scott Murray there and persevere with wright on the right.

Whoops, should have read BB's post first. still now you have the definitive answer!!!

Archived