IGNORED

5 Best War Films

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

1. A Bridge too Far

2. Enemy at the Gates (Simply for showing the shocking waste of human life)

3. Zulu

4. Black Hawk Down (A good film whch doesn't show the Yanks as world beaters)

5. Kellys Heroes (Woof woof, thats my other dog impression)

1.Saving Private Ryan

2.Full Metal Jacket

3.Casulties Of War (Stars Micheal J Fox, Truly excellent film!)

4.Black Hawk Down (Ok but struggling to fill 5 places)

5.We Were Soldiers

Zulu Deserves a mention but it has been so long since i watched it i couldn't put it top 5.

Strangely i have never heard of "A Bridge Too Far" can anyone tell me what it's like? When it came out? Who it stars perhaps?

There was also another one that needs to be mentioned. I think it was called Tigerland? starred Colin Farrell was pretty good.

Guest Bawno

1.Saving Private Ryan

2.The Thin Red Line

3.Tigerland

4.We Were Soldiers

5.Enemy At The Gates

I do think some old timers like Zulu an The Great Escape deserve a mention. They were good in their time. A little farfetched now though. Still class films though! I love Zulu! Brilliant!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"I do think some old timers like Zulu an The Great Escape deserve a mention. They were good in their time. A little farfetched now though."

???????????? Zulu was a true story. All those Victoria crosses were real. Everyone in the film existed!

The Great escape was also true, although there is a bit of poetic lisence.

"Strangely i have never heard of "A Bridge Too Far" can anyone tell me what it's like? When it came out? Who it stars perhaps?"

A bridge too far is obviously about Arnhem, but also includes the American action and Neinham and somewhere else. It had a HUGE list of stars including Sean Connery and Michel Caine. A long film, but superb.

"How the hell could you not include Saving Private Ryan?"

Ok the first 20 mins of Saving Private Ryan are probably some of the most memorable (and horrific) of any film I've seen, simply because it actually was like that. However it is a typical Yank war film of the 90's, in which America is the only fighting force on the Allied side. The only mention of us is "Montys overatted" Which Hanks also mumbles in the superb serious "band of Brothers". If I ever met him he would meet my forehead just for that. As would Mel Gibson for "Braveheart" and "The Patriot".

As WW1 seems to be the vouge at the moment I am expecting a Hollywood blockbuster about it in the next few years. I wonder how much American participation will be shown. I'm guessing 90-100%

Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are miles ahead of the rest.

Saving Private Ryan was very good.

Black Hawk Down is absolutely shocking.

Not really a fan of war films, so can't name any others worthy of a mention. Band of Brothers was an excellent series on TV.

EDIT: If you count it, then Dr Strangelove is probably the best film on the subject of war. Peter Sellars = Class.

Which Hanks also mumbles in the superb serious "band of Brothers
Where the hell does he appear in that?! I've watched it about 5 or 6 times, and although I know he's in it somewhere I can never actually see him. I suspect that this is due to my distinct lack of observational skills rather than any other reason, but still, any help would be appreciated! :clap:

We were Soldiers, brilliant film, close to the real thing I'm told.

Blackhawk Down, excellent, never trust politicians.

Das Boot, If you suffer from claustrophobia, this'll get ya.How these guys volenteered to go beats me, and volenteer they all did!

Bridge Too Far. Best factual film ever made. Most vets I know rate its accuracy

Cross Of Iron. see how Fritz tried to survive in Russia.

IMHO :)

I wouldn't put saving private ryan in there, puerly because it is only about half an hour of war film and the rest is hollywood pap. Although the monty's overrated piece although a tad annoying was probably true, on the offensive he couldn't hold much to the far more brutal but incredible Patton. On the defensive then Monty would wipe all over tha place with any allied General, But the Bristtish army never has been or never will be as good as the yanks on the offensive, puerly because we can't afford to loose many men, the yanks can. In a defensive position that is good, but on the offence it isn't. In general the British army has always been great at defending, singapor accepted, as we had a complete and utter mare there.

As for best war films,

Apocalypse Now

A Bridge to Far

We were soldiers - Very, very good film portrays just how incredible the americans were in the hydrang valley.

Das Boot is incredible.

Archived