IGNORED

Biggest Underachievers?

Redland

Guest stingray316

You ARE joking???? Fůcking hell, I assumed we were dealing with a fifteen year-old here! Jesus Christ! :rofl2br:

Just like your 15 year olds who smashed a wine bar. :disapointed2se:

So you can see in the fututre can you?

Who cares I doubt you will ever be a major force in English football again.

Its funny how we get a high away attendence against you lot and your fans start to get jealous.

Yes you are jealous, why else would you be on this forum?

The only reason you brought a lot to our ground was to see a good ground and a desent crowd. :razz:

The guy recycles the same BS over and over. It's like going on the Forest forum and saying 'you're not famous anymore' over and over.

Back to the question, yes I think we probably are the biggest underachievers. Bristol is the largest city never to have won the League or the FA Cup, and we've never really done anything too amazing in our history (as pointed by Stingray boy). But Forest used to be small time until Clough came, and have now sunk back down, so maybe it could happen to us one day?

But memories are something you can never take away.Like when l was behind the goal when trevor francis scored in munich..... :banana:

Don't flatter yourselfs. l go on all football forums, your's is no different. :yawn:

If i'm not mistaken Forests average attendance after winning the european cup was 26,000 ours was 23,000 (in the same division) we had won nothing, but still quite close, What might it have been with a little success ? perhaps we'll never know. You do need success to build up attendances. Brian clough was always moaning about the lack of support his team attracted. As for comparing rugby crowds thats as big as they get and their in the top flight, no contest.

If i'm not mistaken Forests average attendance after winning the european cup was 26,000 ours was 23,000 (in the same division) we had won nothing, but still quite close, What might it have been with a little success ? perhaps we'll never know. You do need success to build up attendances. Brian clough was always moaning about the lack of support his team attracted. As for comparing rugby crowds thats as big as they get and their in the top flight, no contest.

Football is the national sport tbf.

I'm not sure whether real Football is in Bristolians blood or not, I think I'm right in saying we have the biggest Saturday league in the country on The Downs.

Our Club's attendances per population is dissproportionatly low but this is undoubtably in my mind due to our historical deprivation of success. Says more about mankind than it does about Bristolians per say imo. Both Reading's and Yeovil's attendances are relatively through the roof - I wonder why? Do people have no shame?

Re: that Forest fan, why not use the ignore function on the tedious David Platt? Like that irritating 'appy 'ammer we had on here, he'll get bored of the cold shoulder - talking to himself and do us all a favour in buggering off.

If they contribute humour or knowledge I have nothing against foreign forumites, that one though just bored me.

Two other clubs: WEymouth and Poole, are I think the biggest areas without ever having had a league team (although Weymouth are on the case).

So I'd say we're the most underachieving city in the league, but maybe not in the country?

Most over-achieving in terms of population must be Kent. Their team won the treble in 1999.

Two other clubs: WEymouth and Poole, are I think the biggest areas without ever having had a league team (although Weymouth are on the case).

So I'd say we're the most underachieving city in the league, but maybe not in the country?

Most over-achieving in terms of population must be Kent. Their team won the treble in 1999.

No one expects Weymouth or Poole to achieve much. This is not the case with a City the size of Bristol.

I agree City and Rovers are the biggest underachievers in English football

Probably then followed by Prem underachievers Newcastle, Sheff Wed, Wolves and Sunderland.

Also I reckon Rochdale 30 odd years in one division even for a small club is pretty poor.

Hull have also under achieved quite a lot, they are the biggest city not to ever have a top division club.

But memories are something you can never take away.Like when l was behind the goal when trevor francis scored in munich..... :banana:

Don't flatter yourselfs. l go on all football forums, your's is no different. :yawn:

All football forums?? :blink: Nothing better to do with you time?? :yawn:

ha , ha. Only 9,000 less than you get for league games. Yeovil are the footballing team of the west country, with gates not much less than your's and how small is yeovil to bristol. :rofl2br:

That reminds me of that massive city up your way i think its called S****HORPE, he he he :clapping: :clapping: :clapping::city::city:

cant come back from that.. :)

Yes you can, and Britains murder capital will do fer a start. makes Manchester look like Yeovile

if we get rid of the gas, focus all the Bristol football interest into our club, improve the stadium, get a bit of energy going and voila ... we might get the impetus to start climbing.

No it wont, the fans will simply move to another club. Or reverse it get rid of city and would you support the sags? No? Neither would I, and neither would the sags. Next dream to try. A decent board, decent manager, and a team of decent players would greatly help. like Wigan, like Baaaadiff, like Lu'on, like Plymuff, like Reading, like Barnsley. wont even go into the Crewe, Colchester, Sarfend, Warsaw syndrome

It may have been said before, but the defeat by Yeovil (population 40,000) raises the question "are we the most underachieving football club in Britain?" When I started supporting City in the 1960's we were in the old Second Division. Yeovil were in the Southern League with a sloping pitch and a reputation as cup giant killers.

Bristol is the 8th biggest city in England, the same size as Manchester and only slightly smaller than Liverpool. In footballing terms we also have a large catchment area with the nearest Premiership club being Reading. Despite this we have not had top flight football at Ashton Gate since the 1970's and for the past 7 years we have been stuck in the Third Division (old money).

Size of City is not , in itself, a guarantee of success and over the years other "large" clubs, including Manchester City, Sheffield Wednesday and now Nottingham Forest have fallen from grace and joined us. However, they seem to have the ability to bounce back and gain promotion after a year or two, whilst we remain becalmed in the doldrums. Meanwhile we are overtaken by the mighty Southend, Colchester, Yeovil, Reading, Wigan etc etc. We are no longer a sleeping giant - we are comatose.

Other than Rovers(who have a smaller fan base) I cannot think of a club with as much potential as City that has underachieved as much. The last time we achieved a promotion as Champions, in any division, was 1955!

It gives me no pleasure to state these facts (they are not opinions). I have supported City since the 1960's.I can remember crying ,as a youngster, when 40 years ago Gerry Sharpe sufferd a broken leg which ended his career. I do not pretend to know the answer. We have had numerous managers and players over the years and we have now reached the stage where we lose to Yeovil Town, playing a forward on loan from Sheffield Wednesday reserves, who has never scored a league goal. Apparently we have no better players available.

I will continue to support City - it is in my blood. However, comparing realistic aspirations to reality, can you think of a team in Britain which has underachieved as much as City?

cracking post, time for big change.

I hope people don't take stingray's inane comments as representative as the Forest community on the whole. Also, the gun crime issue is getting tedious now; the stats are inaccurate as they are only demonstrative of approximately half of Nottingham's total inhabitants (city centre in other words). Factor in the outer areas (which I still count as Nottingham simply due to their proximity), and our gun crime is a fair bit lower down the whole list, though still pretty nasty. London and Manchester have far harsher parts, but that's diluted by the plusher areas of the cities.

Anyway, in answer to the question, the only real way to answer is to judge on potential. The team that has the greatest unfulfilled potential is the biggest underachiever. Bristol City are undoubtedly one of the, if not the longest underachievers in the football leage, but overall, there are several clubs throughout the leagues that could probably rival their claim as biggest underachievers.

I hope people don't take stingray's inane comments as representative as the Forest community on the whole. Also, the gun crime issue is getting tedious now; the stats are inaccurate as they are only demonstrative of approximately half of Nottingham's total inhabitants (city centre in other words). Factor in the outer areas (which I still count as Nottingham simply due to their proximity), and our gun crime is a fair bit lower down the whole list, though still pretty nasty. London and Manchester have far harsher parts, but that's diluted by the plusher areas of the cities.

Anyway, in answer to the question, the only real way to answer is to judge on potential. The team that has the greatest unfulfilled potential is the biggest underachiever. Bristol City are undoubtedly one of the, if not the longest underachievers in the football leage, but overall, there are several clubs throughout the leagues that could probably rival their claim as biggest underachievers.

All the s....wit, your man Mantaray or what ever his baaaaaaaaaaadass name ishas said about Briz, deserves the wit back. some Plod I know reckon Nottingham worse for gun crime than Scumchester and Laaaaaaaaaaaaandum by the way.

I don't think many seriously on here don't reckon you'll go up, but to say your club aint got muppets after that game is also plainly inaccurate as well. and you have the some of the gobshites which behave like Plymouthalmighty coupla seasons back...makes a shed load of mates that does. ;)

spot on about City underacheiving- we're the masters at it. Comes with having totally unambitious chairmen sadly...and Rovers too...same reason

Archived