IGNORED

Official- We're All Idiots!

cheshire_red

I enjoyed reading that, and you can spot a few on here that fall into what the author was getting at.

Unfortuantly, now the gentrification is complete, football will never be as good.

Fans at first found the razmitaz of sky, big all seater stadia and all the other modern stuff a novelty, it makes me giggle how so many our now fed up of it. The problem is, for every fan that sees the light, there's 2 stupid mugs waiting to take their place in the replica shirt que ect

That is a brilliant article. I cant afford to watch City much nowadays. Between the ages of 8 and 18 I went every single week, now its about once a month, if that. £22 is a complete joke. Its unbelievable that its £15 to watch Roma and £200 for a Real Madrid season ticket.

I went to Prague in April and watched Sparta whilst I was there for £3. For the division we are in, I reckon about £15 would be fair. That would mean season ticket prices would be lower, which would mean I and many others could afford who cant at the moment.

There are always people on here with the "I put City first cos I'm more of a fan" attitude.....more of a fool in my opinion. I love the club but thats obviously not recipricated so I'm not going to go every game.

Anyway, end of my ramblings - that article is fantastic and sums up football today perfectly. Oh for football to return to before the Sky Sports days.

That is a brilliant article. I cant afford to watch City much nowadays. Between the ages of 8 and 18 I went every single week, now its about once a month, if that. £22 is a complete joke. Its unbelievable that its £15 to watch Roma and £200 for a Real Madrid season ticket.

I went to Prague in April and watched Sparta whilst I was there for £3. For the division we are in, I reckon about £15 would be fair. That would mean season ticket prices would be lower, which would mean I and many others could afford who cant at the moment.

There are always people on here with the "I put City first cos I'm more of a fan" attitude.....more of a fool in my opinion. I love the club but thats obviously not recipricated so I'm not going to go every game.

Anyway, end of my ramblings - that article is fantastic and sums up football today perfectly. Oh for football to return to before the Sky Sports days.

So why don't you buy a season ticket? £320 for the lower dolman equates to £13.91 a game. £1.09 under your recommended price. :) failing that you could always buy a season ticket for Sparta P :)

Is it really £22 pay on the day down the Gate :unsure:

So why don't you buy a season ticket? £320 for the lower dolman equates to £13.91 a game. £1.09 under your recommended price. :) failing that you could always buy a season ticket for Sparta P :)

Is it really £22 pay on the day down the Gate :unsure:

Couldnt afford the one off or monthly payments at the time - if half season tickets can be paid monthly then I'm getting one.

Yeah, £22 now - Villa fans watch their team for £24.

...and there's Glos Boy having...

You know what? I'm glad you no longer support City - you'd probably get down the Gate and cheer for the opposition.

...accused of him by The Supporters Club Chairman for standing his ground.

The East End issue is at the heart of the jist of this article....

Give Football back to The People.

I have never read an article so true. Unbelievable when you read it and sit there nodding your head.

Well done to Sean Ingle, I hope the FA and football chairmen around the country will read this.

MM

Very true, I could feel myself cringing and didn't want to read on (but I did).

I don't know whether to feel comfort or despair that this was written about any club and there are so many others who must feel the same. :(

Very true, I could feel myself cringing and didn't want to read on (but I did).

I don't know whether to feel comfort or despair that this was written about any club and there are so many others who must feel the same. :(

If I'd attempted writing such an article it would have just resulted in pages and pages of incoherant ranting :farmer:

If I'd attempted writing such an article it would have just resulted in pages and pages of incoherant ranting :farmer:

I must admit I found the Whyteleafe FC response made me laugh. I can remember when I went down to Exmouth Town whilst I was on holiday to watch them play Tiverton (years back this is), in the program the manager said something like "good to see you here, next time bring a mate and swell the crowd", at half time both sets of supporters were in the tea bar and when I got served with a brew I got a huge mug of tea in a china mug!

I felt like a supporter for some strange reason.

Compare that to my colleague who's a dirty gooner who now has an Oyster Card-style membership where tickets get loaded onto a card (which also has her entire personal details online and on board) and she has to tap in to gain entrance. Every member of her family has to have one, what a joke and you can't even by a ticket unless you are a member and have one of these "cards".

I'd hate to see City go down that route.

Despite the fact I'm not a big US-fan I think salary caps and draughting (or some sort of transfer kitty limit) would be a good start to bring balance back to the force!

Yep, it's become a bit of a tradition for me and a mate to watch the Taunton Town FC New Years Day game if it's at home. I'm based in London but often spend new year in Somerset.

Last year I spent a tenner on raffle tickets, thinking that would be a nice thing to do for a club that needs the money. Having based my experience of buying raffle tickets on prices at City and corporate events, I didn't bother to look how many tickets I'd bought. I won the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place raffle prices. We gave the prize money back to the club, got a thank you on the tannoy and a personal thank you from the Chairman as we left the ground. Happy days.

Twoseats.

I hope the irony of a football journalist calling anyone an idiot is not lost on him....

The low turn out for this premier season has really shown that football fans are turning away from the football industry.

I, for one, are hoping that the ability to watch high quality over the internet, via foreign broadcasters or micro broadcast networks (one person with the subscription, streaming it to many viewers) will signal a significant in the number who fill Murdoch's pockets.

With tools such as this and this individuals (traditionally, young men - the classic sports supporter profile) will be able to easily access the footage of the sports they want to watch, for free.

It's already happened in the music industry, is happening in the movie business and I'm sure the sports business is serving itself up on a plate to this kind of disruptive shift.

Once Sky's revenue start falling, so will the money they can afford to pay the Premier League for rights will decrease. This is turn will affect the financial 'health' of clubs, and wage bills will have to be cut. Eventually people will begin to realise that seeing Chelsea win the league for the 30th time isn't worth the £60 a game it costs, and eventually the game will return to the grass roots. :pray:

Just my two peneth worth...

I hope the irony of a football journalist calling anyone an idiot is not lost on him....

We're all idiots for following our club? In that case I've been an idiot all my life according to that article. :D

Afterall, we can't have all the brains if the Guardian journalist that wrote the article has them all. :rofl2br:

I must admit I found the Whyteleafe FC response made me laugh. I can remember when I went down to Exmouth Town whilst I was on holiday to watch them play Tiverton (years back this is), in the program the manager said something like "good to see you here, next time bring a mate and swell the crowd", at half time both sets of supporters were in the tea bar and when I got served with a brew I got a huge mug of tea in a china mug!

I felt like a supporter for some strange reason.

Compare that to my colleague who's a dirty gooner who now has an Oyster Card-style membership where tickets get loaded onto a card (which also has her entire personal details online and on board) and she has to tap in to gain entrance. Every member of her family has to have one, what a joke and you can't even by a ticket unless you are a member and have one of these "cards".

I'd hate to see City go down that route.

Despite the fact I'm not a big US-fan I think salary caps and draughting (or some sort of transfer kitty limit) would be a good start to bring balance back to the force!

yep, funny as it sounds whenever you go to the smaller non league grounds in pre-season for me it's like getting back to how football should be without all the rubbish we get from stewards/Sexstone and £3 pie which taste like crap!

most enjoyable game I've been to recently was Gas/City legends match for Steve Phillips, all the city/rovers fans were in with each other and their wasn't a problem, great banter and a good laugh, plus you got a cup of tea for 50p in a polystyrene cup which is actually drinkalbe

they have those card things at the City of Manchester staduim as wel..........yuk

All of it is fact that we all know. I don't go to football, purely for the football. It's the people I sit with and the commoradery we all have tht makes a crap match into a tolerable one.

Where else are men, in particular, so open with their emotions?

It's like a psychiatrist visit every other week, all the frustration of the week is taken out on the ball, weather, players etc. during those 90 minutes.

People like Sean Ingle should not be praised for pinting out that the gas can charge up to £415 for a season ticket inclusive of 'complimentaries' the season he refers to (04/05) and he should not be praised for pointing out that a season ticket for the top tier of the bernabeu watching 21 games with binoculars costs £200.

Yes we can be construde as over charged my season ticket works our £14 a game, not too bad and I pay over 6 months. £22 is a disgrace, but the club does incur charges for the people who don't pay on the day. They have to, due to health and safety assume that a large crowd will turn up, thus more steward/policing, if all tickets are not bought before the day of the match. Having said that it isn't £22 a head.

As for the standard of football, rubbish, the players are fitter, stronger more technically skilled, maybe not flair, and he only speaks of the prem, what about league 1? League 2 and even the championship? Nothing it is a bigoted article against the prem alone, no concern for the 'smaller' clubs. He fails to see that we are almost £2m in debt so charges must be increased. My season ticket was the same price this season on early bird, how about yours?

It seems that most people on here generally agree with what was said in the article.

...and yet... when posters on here start making noises about poor performances, poor value for money, poor financial management, poor decisions about players and deals, we get slated for not being 'true to the cause' and 'supporting our team' and 'giving the manager a chance'.

I like to think I'm a little more discerning about the football I watch and when I'm unhappy about it, I say so.

Yes, I'm a season ticket holder - but that's it. I rarely go to away games, I don't buy replica shirts, I generally don't buy ANYTHING from the club shop, I don't buy food/drink from their outlets, I don't subscribe to World, I don't have a 'Bristol City' credit card, nor any other 'BCFC' branded promotion.

I just pay my money to watch Bristol City at Ashton Gate - period.

Sometimes, I think I get value for money. Other times, I think I'm not and I use this forum to say so.

Currently, I think the club is being mis-managed at the highest level and the current manager is not the messiah a lot of fans think he is.

I believe this shows in the team's performances of late and I think it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

...and IMO, my season ticket gives me every right to express that opinion without fear of receiving personal abuse from all the "true, committed and loyal" fans out there... but there will be the few, I guarantee it...

;)

All of it is fact that we all know. I don't go to football, purely for the football. It's the people I sit with and the commoradery we all have tht makes a crap match into a tolerable one.

Where else are men, in particular, so open with their emotions?

It's like a psychiatrist visit every other week, all the frustration of the week is taken out on the ball, weather, players etc. during those 90 minutes.

People like Sean Ingle should not be praised for pinting out that the gas can charge up to £415 for a season ticket inclusive of 'complimentaries' the season he refers to (04/05) and he should not be praised for pointing out that a season ticket for the top tier of the bernabeu watching 21 games with binoculars costs £200.

Yes we can be construde as over charged my season ticket works our £14 a game, not too bad and I pay over 6 months. £22 is a disgrace, but the club does incur charges for the people who don't pay on the day. They have to, due to health and safety assume that a large crowd will turn up, thus more steward/policing, if all tickets are not bought before the day of the match. Having said that it isn't £22 a head.

As for the standard of football, rubbish, the players are fitter, stronger more technically skilled, maybe not flair, and he only speaks of the prem, what about league 1? League 2 and even the championship? Nothing it is a bigoted article against the prem alone, no concern for the 'smaller' clubs. He fails to see that we are almost £2m in debt so charges must be increased. My season ticket was the same price this season on early bird, how about yours?

The players ( in England) may be fitter and stronger but NOT more technically skilled than they used to be. The premiershit is basically 11 robots v 11 robots who pass well and then lump crosses in from the touchline. ( i admit you do get the odd game this doesnt happen) Compare the Spanish league to the English and in my opinion they are technically on another level. I watched some of Man City v Newcastle at lunchtime, did they actually realise you play football on grass :rolleyes: it was dire.

I said it before....... and I'll say it again........ we are stupid..... but it's not just over football....... if people just except paying over the odds for things in life without kicking up about it.. be it football, food, petrol, council tax, housing,internet,telephone,TV......... et al

Then we will do just that...because nothing is going to or will change......

Would have posted this yesterday but the forum was being weird man!

Well actually I do complain about it, I don't go to see City more than a couple of games a season now, the price is far too much and it puts me off going, I can't make it worthwhile by buying a season ticket for my own personal reasons but I still get my fix for football elsewhere. Whether that is going to watch my local footie side or watching 4 or 5 games a week on sky.

Football in this decade doesn't care about the average man on the street, they have chosen the corporate customer over me and they will have to live with that decision when it all goes bang. I'm in no hurry to get back to the gate at £22 a game, I only pay £22 a month for sky for starters.

As Dorset said, if you don't make a stand on these things it will never change, and the attendances all over the country are showing there is a a wave of disgruntled traditional supporter turning his back on the game.

Archived