IGNORED

The Football Tribunal

Andre_The_Giant

Whatever happened to the football tribunal? That being the ancient practice of settling a football transfer through a third body.

Seem to remember getting a few bargains during Joe Jordan's second spell in this way. Not to mention John Ward's acquisition of a young spritely Michael Bell complete with wrapping paper.

Any ideas? What has it been replaced with?

BS4

I think its still around a few teams in the summer were going to use as they got screwed by some big clubs not sure though mind you not rly sure of anything
David Bellion - Sunderland to Man Utd, I think that a fee was settled by a tribunal for him.

• Admin

The tribunal sat when clubs couldn't agree a fee for out of contract players. This has now been replaced by Bosman Free Transfers. They still sit occasionally if an Under 23 player is out of contract and clubs cannot agree on a compensatory package, eg David Bellion.

The tribunal sat when clubs couldn't agree a fee for out of contract players. This has now been replaced by Bosman Free Transfers. They still sit occasionally if an Under 23 player is out of contract and clubs cannot agree on a compensatory package, eg David Bellion.
Cheers Madge.

BS4

The biggest bargin we ever had must of been Alan Walsh. Terry Cooper pulled off daylight robbery when the tribunal "ordered" City to pay a miserly £18,000 to Darlington for Walshys' services.

Oh to have a left foot with that quality around today.

What was even funnier was that the tribunal set the fee at LESS than we actually offered for him (£22000) in the first place.

I always felt that in the unlikely event that I was ever in court :) that I would have to ask Terry Cooper to defend me, he must have been the most persuasive man ever in football.

Archived