IGNORED

How Long Do You Give A Manager?

And Its Smith

Is it getting silly? How long do managers now have to bring success? There are City fans that would have Johnson sacked tomorrow if it was up to them. To give a new manager only (or as this would have it, less than) one full season is unbelievable. It took Johnson or is taking Johnson a year to build his squad that he thinks will get promoted, or at least thats what he says. Surely then, that manager needs to be given two full seasons, minimum, to get us up?

I think if Johnson doesnt get us up this season then thats fine but he for sure better get us up the next. I think he would bring in a winger and/or a striker if he could find one that (a) wanted to come (b) so did their club and © if we could afford it.

I'd expect there would be at least 3 more Johnson signings before the start of next season but that team would need to get promotod for Johnson to keep his job.

Wilson was given a good go and I don't really think he can complain. It was easy for people to say he shouldnt have gone now but most wanted it then. Tinnion wasnt given a go but I think that was a bit of an exception. That was clearly only going to get worse and it was one bad cock up all round.

Dowie is given 12 games to prove he's good enough to be Charlton manager. Andy Ritchie is sacked in a situation not too dissimilar to the John Ward one, whereas this is his first season in the Championship. I think most people would say we shouldnt have made Ward leave but thats irrelevantly spoken about now.

I think football as a whole and football management with that is getting out of hand at the moment. Give Johnson this season and next and then make a decision.

personally as long as the club are making some sort of progress under a manager, I feel 2 FULL seasons is a right amount of time,

until a manager has his own players on board and the right people around him he is going to struggle, problem is in the Premiership people expect instant success and that has filtered throught to fans at a lower level such as us.

however in the case of Johnson personally I feel last season he thought he could come in an turn things right around but totally underestimated the job in hand, last season basically turned into a case of keeping the club up while trying to sort out the off-field problems within the club.

This is season I expect us to fully push for promotion and get hopefully get at least a play-offs place, what happens then is anyone's guess, if we go up he has bought himself probably 2 years min, if we don't go up the pressure will really be on next season as fans will DEMAND promotion and probably by a distance

It takes at least a season for a manager to integrate his way of thinking, style of play etc..

Sacking Dowie was ridiculous, as would have been sacking Johnson during our bad run last year..

Given the players available, can anyone complain with his progress right now?

I think this season is gigantic not just for G.J. but also for S.L. Progress is essential for G.J. he obviously needs to exceed Tinnions achievement of 7th place by at least one position and secure a play-off spot.Last season a play-off spot was arguably available to us but G.J. felt overall harmony was more important.This time around and particularly because of our lofty position at the present time anything less than a 6th place finish will not appease fans expectations.

Compounding the problem will of course be the whereabouts of both M.S. & the massively over achieving folk down at Yeovil.That we have given them a potential winning lottery ticket could make G.J & S.L. yesterdays men.

Limp attendances have not been aided by dissapointing entertainment value.G.J. addressed this on Twentyman a few weeks back,interestingly I see his son along with the playing staff are also realising this factor with his claim for a 30% to 40% improvement needed.

That so many forum contributors see a need for 3 additional signings does beg the question why this is still the case.G.J. has been at the helm longer than Tinnion and certainly deserves credit for extracting more from what is probably a less talented squad than the one he inherited.Certainly quality signings are essential not just for capitalising on the good start but also for our longer term.Capturing the 49th player on a list of 50 will not buy him more time,but the fact that he has real money in a financially impoverished division gives him an advantage and potentially a longer stay.Get it wrong and I think it would be Adios.

Failure for G.J. would mean real disaster for S.L. I feel he would need to do the honourable thing and find a new suitor for the club.

Interesting times.

Is it getting silly? How long do managers now have to bring success? There are City fans that would have Johnson sacked tomorrow if it was up to them. To give a new manager only (or as this would have it, less than) one full season is unbelievable. It took Johnson or is taking Johnson a year to build his squad that he thinks will get promoted, or at least thats what he says. Surely then, that manager needs to be given two full seasons, minimum, to get us up?

I think if Johnson doesnt get us up this season then thats fine but he for sure better get us up the next. I think he would bring in a winger and/or a striker if he could find one that (a) wanted to come (b) so did their club and © if we could afford it.

I'd expect there would be at least 3 more Johnson signings before the start of next season but that team would need to get promotod for Johnson to keep his job.

Wilson was given a good go and I don't really think he can complain. It was easy for people to say he shouldnt have gone now but most wanted it then. Tinnion wasnt given a go but I think that was a bit of an exception. That was clearly only going to get worse and it was one bad cock up all round.

Dowie is given 12 games to prove he's good enough to be Charlton manager. Andy Ritchie is sacked in a situation not too dissimilar to the John Ward one, whereas this is his first season in the Championship. I think most people would say we shouldnt have made Ward leave but thats irrelevantly spoken about now.

I think football as a whole and football management with that is getting out of hand at the moment. Give Johnson this season and next and then make a decision.

I do not think anybody in there right mind has wanted Johnson out,Yes there are many that have found certain things very strange.

However he is taking us the right way at the moment.As long as this carry's on he safe.

Personally I think a manager should be given as much time as possible, however obviously a badly performing manager should be axed.

How would I define badly performing? Well I guess a poor season hints at a manager badly performing, but then other aspects need to be taken into consideration, such as injuries, his performance in the transfer market, the attitude of the team and the make up of the opposition.

For example, would it be fair to sack a manager because there were simply better teams, his star players all had broken legs or the players he brought in were either worthwhile or not.

Playoff disaster aside, I think Wilson had done a fine job if perhaps his team lacking a killer instinct. To be he was pushed because of a vocal minority.

So far I think Johnson has performed well, and the only sticking points seem to be the handling of Marcus Stewart and his loan signings. Both these examples come from a seriously bad period for this football club and it is time we shake off these unwanted hangovers.

We should try and focus on the positives, rather than the negatives which game from his early days as manager of this football club.

Sacking Dowie was ridiculous, as would have been sacking Johnson during our bad run last year..

There's more to the sacking of Dowie than meets the eye.....

and with a "gagging" clause, we may never know the true reasons........

:yawn:

Is it getting silly? .

Think, (imho) that if GJ strengthened the squad, then not only would it take the pressure off of him, but it would also keep the most ficklest of City supporter's happy.

But doing things like playing his kin in the team when under performing would only add fuel to the flames of those who would want to see GJ go.

To be fair to GJ, he didn't promise promotion, just to see attractive football being played at the Gate, with crowds of 15,000/20,000 cheering on City!!.

:farmer:

So far I think Johnson has performed well, and the only sticking points seem to be the handling of Marcus Stewart and his loan signings. Both these examples come from a seriously bad period for this football club and it is time we shake off these unwanted hangovers.

It's about time, for the fans, the player's, and the Board, for the Marcus Stewart fiasco to be sorted out once and for all, so the Club can move on!!.

It's like an albatross around all our necks!!.

And instead of keep going for loanee's, let's see three quality player's brought in in January, who would be more committed to City, than someone who goes through the motions for a month.

:farmer:

How long a manager gets could also be influenced by what is said at his interview i.e. undisclosed factors that supporters never hear about.

For example, if I was given the job at City tomorrow following an interview during which I'd said, "I'll get us promotion this season" then I think it would be totally understandable if I got the sack in the summer if I failed to achieve that promotion.

Also anyone entering football management must know what the situation is like... they must know the demands that will be placed on them by the fans, players, board etc. They must know they are entering a job where high demands are usually placed solely on their shoulders and the consequences if they fail to meet these demands.

Like all of us, they're paid their money to do their job and appreciate all the demands this entails. Only difference... some of them are paid a good deal more than the majority of us!

Archived