IGNORED

Don't Buy For The Sake Of It.

Redland

Like most supporters I've been waiting to see if we sign a new player prior to the deadline. Whilst there is no doubting the instant "feel good buzz" from a new signing there is no point spending money on a player who is no better than the ones we already have.

We already have one of the best squads in this division and unless we make a top class signing he will not get into the side and will simply sit on the sidelines, adding to the wage bill. I have no doubt that GJ and SL have done their best to strengthen the squad (eg Grant Holt) but if quality players cannot be signed, or are not available, there is no point in signing someone else just for the sake of it.

I would rather we kept the war chest intact so we can sign decent players in due course rather than waste money on journeymen so that the critics on this forum can have their short term fix.

I am sure that the funds are available for the right person and GJ and SL should be respected for taking the long term view rather a panic buy to keep a minority of fans happy.

Like most supporters I've been waiting to see if we sign a new player prior to the deadline. Whilst there is no doubting the instant "feel good buzz" from a new signing there is no point spending money on a player who is no better than the ones we already have.

We already have one of the best squads in this division and unless we make a top class signing he will not get into the side and will simply sit on the sidelines, adding to the wage bill. I have no doubt that GJ and SL have done their best to strengthen the squad (eg Grant Holt) but if quality players cannot be signed, or are not available, there is no point in signing someone else just for the sake of it.

I would rather we kept the war chest intact so we can sign decent players in due course rather than waste money on journeymen so that the critics on this forum can have their short term fix.

I am sure that the funds are available for the right person and GJ and SL should be respected for taking the long term view rather a panic buy to keep a minority of fans happy.

At long long last somebody posts sense.

Spot on!

I am getting sick to death of people moaning all the time on this forum, quite frankly it is starting to wear thin.

good shout.

was very excited about the possibility of Holt signing (just imagine GJ being able to pick from Holt, Jevons, Enoch & Brooker :w00t: AWESOME! ) but once that was clearly off I wasn't bothered too much about us signing anyone before the deadline.

I did hope we might try for Jarvis, but even then thought that we might as well wait until january and maybe try again with Holt once is kid his born and he's had time to think about his options.

Us trying for Holt is a great sign to me, as it shows we are willing to try for the best players in the division and back that up with hard cash. Why bother trying for just anyone when we have the potential to get the top players? It might not have been the right time for him but the fact he had enough respect for our team to come and have talks despite the fact his wife was unwilling is a positive. I think the silence from our club and Holt's well chosen words when pressed have kept the possiblity of a future deal open.

We have achived alot with a limited and injury hit squad over the last couple of months and should look on that as a positive, not only concentrate on the possible negatives for more potential injuries.

I do totally agree with Bristol Boy's points about another possible striker crisis if we get injuries, but lets just see how well Brooker and Enoch play now they are back to fitness before we write ourselves off up front. And who knows, now Jevons isn't going to be the focus of our attack he might even play with a bit more freedom and get a few more from open play, or at least cause more problems for opposition defences with someone expreienced to play off.

We've got tough league games ahead in the shape of Swansea, Carlisle and Rotherham so lets hope we see the squad show us why GJ as such faith in them and consilidate our position at the top end of this god-forsaken league.

:city:

It's just a pity that the rest of the league don't have the same approach.Because they, believe it or not, often sign players on loan because they have areas of weakness and need cover for injuries.And worse than that the loan players play well and are signed.

It's just a pity that the rest of the league don't have the same approach.Because they, believe it or not, often sign players on loan because they have areas of weakness and need cover for injuries.And worse than that the loan players play well and are signed.

And of course the vast majority of them are currently more successful than we are.

At long long last somebody posts sense.

Oh how ironic. :laugh:

;)

Anyway I agree with you to a extent we should not panic buy, however I guess I am one of those fans that likes to see transfers. :P

I just like my club to be buying new players but I do agree we don't really need anyone else that I can think of other than a left winger, and I would rather wait and get the right man than rush and get Tony Dinning part two.

Although it would be nice for the squad to have 5 strikers, 3 experienced pros, one in the early 20's with a bit of promise and one with electric pace. Cant have everything though.

Our spine of the squad is very strong I think.

Bit likt e my post a few days ago. My thoughts are the same

Blah blah blah, oh my god we didnt sign someone!!!!!!! What a rubbish club we are.

What the hell is wrong with people? If we can't find someone, we can't find someone, simple really. Or would you like us to spend MORE money on someone that can't do the business?

We tried to get Grant Holt!!!! Would of been a bloody good signing, the blokes wife is about to have a baby, hardly Lansdowns fault is it?

We tried, and he is a quality player, so that in itself shows we are trying to get quality players.

Why spend when we don't need to? Did you not read our loses? Or would you rather us spend money on that ''carrott'' to keep you happy? Because believe me YOU will be the first one to complain when hes not doing the business. I believe its called fans pressure to ''PANIC'' buy.

We don't need to panic when you are goal difference off of automatic promotion.

End of rant

I couldn't agree more and it's pure common sense.

We should also apply the same rationale to loan signings.

I was pleased with our bid for Holt and I can understand his reasons for not coming.........now.

We need quality (Holt) not quantity (Wright & Corr) but we do need enough players to give us the kind of strength in depth we have in defence.You only have to look how our defenders are playing too see the value of competition for places.

Whilst we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, I am concerned, for example, how long it's taking us to find a wide left midfielder and I'm annoyed that we didn't pick up McClean from Grays for example.

I just like my club to be buying new players but I do agree we don't really need anyone else that I can think of other than a left winger,

I really don't see how you can come to that conclusion after the last few weeks, particularly given our impotence away.

Although it would be nice for the squad to have 5 strikers, 3 experienced pros, one in the early 20's with a bit of promise and one with electric pace. Cant have everything though.

Our spine of the squad is very strong I think.

We're good at the back 8 or 9/10...Cover & Options.

Midfield 7/10......needs an outstanding player who scores goals and plays the killer pass-Ala Tinnion.A wide left player is also needed.

Attack-With Brooker & Showumni back 8/10........without, drops to five IMHO and, if we're serious about automatic promotion, that needs strengthening.GJ obviously think that as he tried to sign Holt.

Nobodys saying were not a decnt team.We need the players mentioned to become an automatic promotion favourite and closer to the finished article at this level.

Archived