IGNORED

So How Happy Would We Be If We Signed A 34yr Old Who Has Scored 5 In 13?

maidenheadred

5 goals in 13 games, 34 years old, no pace. Jeez - is this guy *really* worth you lot getting so excited about?! If GJ signed *exactly* the same player as the solution to our goal scoring problems, except his name wasnt "Marcus Stewart" the forum would go mad!!!

....and PS PortlandBill - i remember in a thread 3 months ago saying I bet you £5 he doesnt score more than 5 in three months at Yeovil. I cant find it now (cant search using the £ sign - annoying!) otherwise i'd be PM-ing for bank details!!!!

;)

5 goals in 13 games, 34 years old, no pace. Jeez - is this guy *really* worth you lot getting so excited about?! If GJ signed *exactly* the same player as the solution to our goal scoring problems, except his name wasnt "Marcus Stewart" the forum would go mad!!!

....and PS PortlandBill - i remember in a thread 3 months ago saying I bet you £5 he doesnt score more than 5 in three months at Yeovil. I cant find it now (cant search using the £ sign - annoying!) otherwise i'd be PM-ing for bank details!!!! ;)

Post number 40 may help you here....

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65096&hl=

....and PS PortlandBill - i remember in a thread 3 months ago saying I bet you £5 he doesnt score more than 5 in three months at Yeovil. I cant find it now (cant search using the £ sign - annoying!) otherwise i'd be PM-ing for bank details!!!! ;)

Yeah, shame i didnt take the bet on wasnt it :rolleyes: , mind you hes missed most of the last months games cos of City not letting him play. Fair play to you though, you were right.

You should have gone to Ladbrokes :rolleyes:

5 goals in 13 games, 34 years old, no pace.

I would compare it to a 27 year old with 6 goals in 20 games, and an 18 year old with 1 goal in 13 games.

I would also compare it to somebody here on loan with a career record of 1 goal in 20-odd games - as I would have last season, except the loanee in question was 0 goals in 30-odd games.

And I would say, fair play Gary, you look as though you are at last trying to do something about our goal-scoring problems.

I would compare it to a 27 year old with 6 goals in 20 games, and an 18 year old with 1 goal in 13 games.

I would also compare it to somebody here on loan with a career record of 1 goal in 20-odd games - as I would have last season, except the loanee in question was 0 goals in 30-odd games.

And I would say, fair play Gary, you look as though you are at last trying to do something about our goal-scoring problems.

while conveniently ignoring a striker with 5 goals in 8 league starts & 2 subs appearance.

... oh, one more point i forgot to mention: we'd also have to make the 34 year old one paced striker with an average goalscoring record the highest paid player at the club!

anyway - we did sign a new striker last week: Steve Brooker!

Yeah, shame i didnt take the bet on wasnt it :rolleyes: , mind you hes missed most of the last months games cos of City not letting him play. Fair play to you though, you were right.

You should have gone to Ladbrokes :rolleyes:

... what do you say to another fiver on Stewart not scoring more than 12 league 1 goals this season? (if he moves division - null and void!)

maidenheadred (who has a gambling problem..!)

while conveniently ignoring a striker with 5 goals in 8 league starts & 2 subs appearance.

And also while conveniently ignoring a striker with 1 goal in 9 games this season.

The reason being, this one, and the one you allude to, are big, strong target-men types, whereas the other 2 I identified (6 in 14 and 1 in 13) are more like the 34 year old in question. Apart from their goal scoring, of course.

... oh, one more point i forgot to mention: we'd also have to make the 34 year old one paced striker with an average goalscoring record the highest paid player at the club!

anyway - we did sign a new striker last week: Steve Brooker!

Well, I would say, if the 34 year old is a proven goal scorer in the Premiership and Championship, and has for example, recently top-scored for a Championship winning team.......... and if the 27 year old is also one paced, does not affect the game very much, and is also probably on pretty good wages for his 6 goals in 20.......... give me the 34 year old.

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~934386,00.html

Well, I would say, if the 34 year old is a proven goal scorer in the Premiership and Championship, and has for example, recently top-scored for a Championship winning team.......... and if the 27 year old is also one paced, does not affect the game very much, and is also probably on pretty good wages for his 6 goals in 20.......... give me the 34 year old.

http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~934386,00.html

yeah well, swings and roundabouts.

Your 34 year old *was* a proven goalscorer in the premiership and championship. Now he's 34 and has a reasonable goalscoring record of 5 in 13 at league 1 level for a shoddy little club, and *never* looked convincing in a red shirt (5 from 27 appearances last season - and not even close to MOTM in any of them)

I'd back the 27 year old who scored 42 in 84 appearances for same shoddy little club, has also never looked convincing in a red shirt, but now has the chance of playing alongside a proper footballer in mr brooker, and that and the face he's only, means he has every chance of getting back his goalscoring touch.

All this fuss for a player who has appeared 40 times on a league 1 football pitch since dropping out of the big time and shas cored 10 times!

yeah well, swings and roundabouts.

Your 34 year old *was* a proven goalscorer in the premiership and championship. Now he's 34 and has a reasonable goalscoring record of 5 in 13 at league 1 level for a shoddy little club, and *never* looked convincing in a red shirt (5 from 27 appearances last season - and not even close to MOTM in any of them)

I'd back the 27 year old who scored 42 in 84 appearances for same shoddy little club, has also never looked convincing in a red shirt, but now has the chance of playing alongside a proper footballer in mr brooker, and that and the face he's only, means he has every chance of getting back his goalscoring touch.

All this fuss for a player who has appeared 40 times on a league 1 football pitch since dropping out of the big time and shas cored 10 times!

Well you're the one that created this particular fuss!!

The 27 appearances last year, incidentally, included 11 as sub. So its really 5 in 16, a bit better than 6 in 20. And the 42 in 84 for your man were mainly scored at a lower level.

Anyone that wants to have a purely statistics based comparison, hasnt a hope in hell of beating our 34 year old.

Well you're the one that created this particular fuss!!

The 27 appearances last year, incidentally, included 11 as sub. So its really 5 in 16, a bit better than 6 in 20. And the 42 in 84 for your man were mainly scored at a lower level.

Anyone that wants to have a purely statistics based comparison, hasnt a hope in hell of beating our 34 year old.

ooo, i may have posted the odd "look - he's crap, and he disrespected the manager which wont do" posts in the past, but not enough to generate a whole sub-forum full of argument!!

and you cant say "really its 5 in 16" if you're having a stats based argument - 11 sub appearances is a lot of football, and i want more than 5 goals in those and 16 full appearances for my £5500 per week, thankyou.

and ok - i'll change my 27 year old's stat to be 42 in 80 starts, because 4 of those were sub appearances too. and I'd also point out that we are in a "lower level" right now, and historically, promoted league 2 clubs have done very well in this division, so it cant be that far behind standards wise.

How about the £2.5k per week difference (my guess admittedly) between my 27 year old and your 34 year old? Would signing this guy as a third choice striker be worth and extra £100k+ per year in wages? That might even buy half a left winger!

ooo, i may have posted the odd "look - he's crap, and he disrespected the manager which wont do" posts in the past, but not enough to generate a whole sub-forum full of argument!!

and you cant say "really its 5 in 16" if you're having a stats based argument - 11 sub appearances is a lot of football, and i want more than 5 goals in those and 16 full appearances for my £5500 per week, thankyou.

and ok - i'll change my 27 year old's stat to be 42 in 80 starts, because 4 of those were sub appearances too. and I'd also point out that we are in a "lower level" right now, and historically, promoted league 2 clubs have done very well in this division, so it cant be that far behind standards wise.

How about the £2.5k per week difference (my guess admittedly) between my 27 year old and your 34 year old? Would signing this guy as a third choice striker be worth and extra £100k+ per year in wages? That might even buy half a left winger!

But you stated they were, and I quote " a shoddy little club" .

But you stated they were, and I quote " a shoddy little club" .

well, of course they are! but that was more to do with their poxy terraced ground, their lurid stripy shirts, their two seasons of league football and their fan's fear of electricity and telephones more than the standard of football they play (they beat us!). thought i'd better add that in case anyone thought i was talking about a different 34 year old.

Maidenhead ....you miss the point and to be honest I think you do so deliberately.

Read the BBC match reports of Yeovil and you will see not my words but those of one assumes un-biased reporters"Inspirational,Majestic,Great,Fantastic", all relate to Stewart and various performances.Forgive me but I would love to see such accolades associated with our strikers at A.G.Why?simply because it would boost my confidence that we really are doing everything to get out of this division.

I respect your undiluted loyalty & confidence to G.J. but if you wish to argue just on the goal return issue then please explain why the chance of a play-off spot was passed over last season through the willingness to play someone with the poorest strike rate in the entire professional league......remember 1 in 28. 5 in 16 looks mighty impressive!

Maidenhead ....you miss the point and to be honest I think you do so deliberately.

Read the BBC match reports of Yeovil and you will see not my words but those of one assumes un-biased reporters"Inspirational,Majestic,Great,Fantastic", all relate to Stewart and various performances.Forgive me but I would love to see such accolades associated with our strikers at A.G.Why?simply because it would boost my confidence that we really are doing everything to get out of this division.

I respect your undiluted loyalty & confidence to G.J. but if you wish to argue just on the goal return issue then please explain why the chance of a play-off spot was passed over last season through the willingness to play someone with the poorest strike rate in the entire professional league......remember 1 in 28. 5 in 16 looks mighty impressive!

fine. if you want to argue on all-round game then i'll point out our new signing of last week: Steve Brooker.

Brooker has a better all round game than Stewart at this time - and anyone who has seen MS and SBs total contribution to City will not disagree. May not have got the goals this season, but my god he makes the team look a whole lot better when he's there. He's twice the league one player a 32 year+ Marcus Stewart can and will ever be.

And Stewart was crap last season for us - and we lost a lot of games with him in the side. We played better with Bas there - and the debate on whether it was Bas who was the catalyst or something else is irrelevant: we got more points with Marcus out of the team.

fine. if you want to argue on all-round game then i'll point out our new signing of last week: Steve Brooker.

I've already said, I'm comparing Stewart with Jevons.

Here's another statistic for you. How many Premiership/Championship managers have signed Stewart, and how many have signed Jevons?

And the age thing is a red herring - because, for all the false accusations of laziness, and rumour mongering about drinking, Stewart was acknowledged as being one of the fittest at the club.

For me, Jevons has been a real disappointment, and I would rather that Johnson had handled the Stewart situation better, so as to get 2/3 seasons out of a proven quality striker.

I've already said, I'm comparing Stewart with Jevons.

Here's another statistic for you. How many Premiership/Championship managers have signed Stewart, and how many have signed Jevons?

And the age thing is a red herring - because, for all the false accusations of laziness, and rumour mongering about drinking, Stewart was acknowledged as being one of the fittest at the club.

For me, Jevons has been a real disappointment, and I would rather that Johnson had handled the Stewart situation better, so as to get 2/3 seasons out of a proven quality striker.

Age of 34 is irrelevant? Only Mooney and Windass could support that statement at this level - i'd say being 34 is a very relevant stat indeed.

agree with Jevons being a rea disappointment - absolutely. Just don't think what we've seen last season and even this suggest Stewart would have made much of a difference to Bristol City Football Club.

Age of 34 is irrelevant? Only Mooney and Windass could support that statement at this level - i'd say being 34 is a very relevant stat indeed.

agree with Jevons being a rea disappointment - absolutely. Just don't think what we've seen last season and even this suggest Stewart would have made much of a difference to Bristol City Football Club.

Maidenhead, there are loads of players older than Stewart. Speed, Sheringham, still doing it at the top level.

Not so long ago Claridge was still banging them in for loads of clubs while approaching his 40's. The winger at S****horpe/Grimsby, forget his name, just retired at 41. The midfielder at Oldham (Sheridan?), still playing in his 40's. Christ, even I was still scoring last season at 43/44!!!!

34 is not that old.

Here's another statistic - how many games is it since a City striker scored in a league game, other than a penalty?

bit of an unfair question considering Stewart is 7 years older, if you were to look at it on an even level, Jevon's is 27, if you look at it when Stewart was the same age, the answer for Both is ONE.

Stewart when he joined uddersfield and Jevons when he joined grimsby

Maidenhead, there are loads of players older than Stewart. Speed, Sheringham, still doing it at the top level.

Not so long ago Claridge was still banging them in for loads of clubs while approaching his 40's. The winger at S****horpe/Grimsby, forget his name, just retired at 41. The midfielder at Oldham (Sheridan?), still playing in his 40's. Christ, even I was still scoring last season at 43/44!!!!

34 is not that old.

players you are listing there are the exceptions. There are many others who past 33 either lose their pace, their sharpness, their hunger or just all of them. Especially wingers and strikers (look at our own Scott Murray as an example). In some cases, it matters less (like some of the guys you mention above) - but for others time affects of time are more cruel. If 34 was not that old it figures there would be just as many 30 - 35 year old strikers in league 1 as there are 20-24, or 25-29. And there arent.

Stewart was totally uninspiring in every game i saw him play for us (and i saw a lot of them), and he now has an average record for a top half league 1 side. Not saying he's useless, nor suggesting his form of last season hasnt improved (because it clearly has) - just saying that there is a huuge amount of hype and column inches* devoted to someone who is basically old, slow, and yet to prove himself as one of those "can go on for years" strikers you mention. Not at this level at least.

* which i am of course contributing to. So i'll stop. Forever. enjoy having the last work Mr J!:)

I know where you are coming from on this one, and of course there will be many who will wonder about a deal concerning MS. Just on what I have seen, MS brings more to the game than just scoring goals. His link play, and his 'space' awareness is quality, plus he also sets a good example to other players in the team, especially pre-match when he does seem to be giving them all a bit of encouragement. Yes MS is a consumate professional, and if he does sign for Yeovil, then I see it as bringing in a player that we have not had before, and that is someone who has played at almost the highest level (club wise) and will bring valuable experience. Most of you know that, but I still believe that if I were a City supporter, then best thing is not to have MS there, the time has passed.

Enoch last home game

Fair enough. I'd forgotten that one, but you take my point - I think thats one striker goal in something like the last 10 league games.

With Brooker and Enoch injured, Jevons disappointing and Jennison not ready to play whole games regulalrly up front, I fail to see how it was a good idea to leave Stewart at Yeovil.

Archived